Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Table salt as weedkiller?

Any good for patios and driveways or is it useless? At 30p a kilo from Tesco
for the value stuff it's a damn sight cheaper than anything else I can find.
I used to use sodium chlorate when you could still buy it although the weeds
always came back next year.

Failing that what's the best way to deal with weeds in A) block paviour
patio and B) gravel covered driveway?
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/07/2013 16:34, Dave Baker wrote:
Any good for patios and driveways or is it useless? At 30p a kilo from

Close to useless and will migrate to where you don't want it if applied
in quantities sufficient to actually kill weeds.

Tesco for the value stuff it's a damn sight cheaper than anything else I
can find. I used to use sodium chlorate when you could still buy it
although the weeds always came back next year.

Failing that what's the best way to deal with weeds in A) block paviour
patio and B) gravel covered driveway?

Pathclear - although the new formulation is nowhere near as good as the
old one containing the persistent inhibitor Simazine.

Haven't tried rootkill yet. Glyphosate will do what I want most times.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Dave Baker
writes
Any good for patios and driveways or is it useless? At 30p a kilo from
Tesco for the value stuff it's a damn sight cheaper than anything else
I can find. I used to use sodium chlorate when you could still buy it
although the weeds always came back next year.

Shirley rock salt would be cheaper still? Likely to work but remember
nearby trees may have roots under the gravel.

Failing that what's the best way to deal with weeds in A) block paviour
patio and B) gravel covered driveway?

Dose of Glyphosate. Don't walk over the lawn afterward.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message

In message , Dave Baker
writes
Any good for patios and driveways or is it useless? At 30p a kilo from
Tesco for the value stuff it's a damn sight cheaper than anything else I
can find. I used to use sodium chlorate when you could still buy it
although the weeds always came back next year.

Shirley rock salt would be cheaper still? Likely to work but remember
nearby trees may have roots under the gravel.

Failing that what's the best way to deal with weeds in A) block paviour
patio and B) gravel covered driveway?

Dose of Glyphosate. Don't walk over the lawn afterward.

+1 for Glyphosate - I buy it by the 20 litre drum from the local agrichem
place, though I so still have a sack of sodium chlorate

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/07/2013 16:34, Dave Baker wrote:
Any good for patios and driveways or is it useless? At 30p a kilo from
Tesco for the value stuff it's a damn sight cheaper than anything else I
can find. I used to use sodium chlorate when you could still buy it
although the weeds always came back next year.

I ain't a chemist, but I'm pretty sure that table salt is sodium
chlorIDE - which isn't the same thing as sodium chlorATE!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Baker" wrote in message
Any good for patios and driveways or is it useless? At 30p a kilo from
Tesco for the value stuff it's a damn sight cheaper than anything else I
can find. I used to use sodium chlorate when you could still buy it
although the weeds always came back next year.

Failing that what's the best way to deal with weeds in A) block paviour
patio and B) gravel covered driveway?
--
Dave Baker

It should kill any weeds if the solution is strong enough by way of reverse
osmosis.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Baker wrote:
Any good for patios and driveways or is it useless? At 30p a kilo
from Tesco for the value stuff it's a damn sight cheaper than
anything else I can find. I used to use sodium chlorate when you
could still buy it although the weeds always came back next year.

Failing that what's the best way to deal with weeds in A) block
paviour patio and B) gravel covered driveway?

it does kill weeds but it has drawbacks.
It leaves white deposits which will walk into the house.
It kills other plants, some of wich may not belong to you.
It makes pointing or re-pointing difficult as salt has an adverse effect on
(wet) cement.
It also is corrosive to steel and iron.
It's not good for garden wildlife

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, July 9, 2013 7:38:04 PM UTC+1, Phil L wrote:
Dave Baker wrote:

Any good for patios and driveways or is it useless? At 30p a kilo

from Tesco for the value stuff it's a damn sight cheaper than

anything else I can find. I used to use sodium chlorate when you

could still buy it although the weeds always came back next year.

Failing that what's the best way to deal with weeds in A) block

paviour patio and B) gravel covered driveway?

it does kill weeds but it has drawbacks.

It leaves white deposits which will walk into the house.

It kills other plants, some of wich may not belong to you.

It makes pointing or re-pointing difficult as salt has an adverse effect on

(wet) cement.

It also is corrosive to steel and iron.

It's not good for garden wildlife

ISTR when the Romans finally defeated Carthage they sowed their fields with salt to make them poor for agricultre
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Baker wrote:

Any good for patios and driveways or is it useless? At 30p a kilo

from Tesco for the value stuff it's a damn sight cheaper than

anything else I can find. I used to use sodium chlorate when you

could still buy it although the weeds always came back next year.

Failing that what's the best way to deal with weeds in A) block

paviour patio and B) gravel covered driveway?

it does kill weeds but it has drawbacks.

It leaves white deposits which will walk into the house.

It kills other plants, some of wich may not belong to you.

It makes pointing or re-pointing difficult as salt has an adverse
effect on

(wet) cement.

It also is corrosive to steel and iron.

It's not good for garden wildlife

ISTR when the Romans finally defeated Carthage they sowed their fields
with salt to make them poor for agricultre

As did William the ******* in the 11th century ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrying_of_the_north

That sounds only too similar to what goes on today (though of course in
other parts of the world).

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ S c o t s h o m e . c o m