Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing cork tiles

Have some cork tiles on a wood floor stuck on with some form of 'rubber'
based adhesive. What's the best way to remove them?

--
*A plateau is a high form of flattery*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Have some cork tiles on a wood floor stuck on with some form of 'rubber'
based adhesive. What's the best way to remove them?

Angle grinder obviously

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday 12 June 2013 10:54 Dave Plowman (News) wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Have some cork tiles on a wood floor stuck on with some form of 'rubber'
based adhesive. What's the best way to remove them?

That sort of glue is like evostik - it should soften a lot if heated with a
hot air gun and a wide bladed scraper will probably be able to lift the
tile.

Nearest I have done is rubber tiles with similar glue onto screed - used a
flat bladed spade to ping then off. However, this will probably do damage to
you underlying wood.

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Have some cork tiles on a wood floor stuck on with some form of 'rubber'
based adhesive. What's the best way to remove them?

Pray they put hardboard down first. I don't envy you if they stuck them
to the floorboards
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
stuart noble wrote:
Have some cork tiles on a wood floor stuck on with some form of
'rubber' based adhesive. What's the best way to remove them?

Pray they put hardboard down first. I don't envy you if they stuck them
to the floorboards

No hardboard.

--
*Work is for people who don't know how to fish.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
stuart noble wrote:
Have some cork tiles on a wood floor stuck on with some form of
'rubber' based adhesive. What's the best way to remove them?

Pray they put hardboard down first. I don't envy you if they stuck them
to the floorboards

No hardboard.

Any chemical method would involve strong solvents. Expensive, toxic, and
probably no longer available. Any mechanical method (flapwheels etc)
would soften the adhesive through friction and make an unholy mess.

A friend took his up and planed them with a hand held electric plane to
remove that black tarry stuff the Victorians were fond of. A long
process IIRC
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Jun 2013 23:29:04 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Have some cork tiles on a wood floor stuck on with some form of
'rubber' based adhesive. What's the best way to remove them?

Pray they put hardboard down first. I don't envy you if they stuck

them
to the floorboards

No hardboard.

In that case lift the lot, tiles and hardboard. I doubt very much
that the hardboard will be in a useable state after trying to get the
cork tiles off it. Even if you can there is likely to be a lot of
glue residue.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/06/13 08:56, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 12 Jun 2013 23:29:04 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Pray they put hardboard down first. I don't envy you if they stuck

them
to the floorboards

No hardboard.

In that case lift the lot, tiles and hardboard.

Another person who doisnet understand that "no hardboard" means "no
hardboard" whereas "No. Hardboard. " means "No its not on the floor
direct, there IS hardboard""

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc-ra-cy) €“ a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 09:17:02 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Pray they put hardboard down first. I don't envy you if they

stuck
them to the floorboards

No hardboard.

In that case lift the lot, tiles and hardboard.

Another person who doisnet understand that "no hardboard" means "no
hardboard" whereas "No. Hardboard. " means "No its not on the floor
direct, there IS hardboard""

Ah it's early (or was) I don't do mornings.

Shades of "Eats, shoots and leaves". B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Jun 2013 10:54:16 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Have some cork tiles on a wood floor stuck on with some form of 'rubber'
based adhesive. What's the best way to remove them?

If you can get the tiles up then the glue will/should shift with a
wallpaper scraper and liberal amounts of talcum powder - it will form
into balls which easily swept up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Heat didn't shift them - cork is a pretty good insulator. I have a Bosch
wood carving thingie which I bought ages ago and haven't used much. With
its wide (2") scraper blade they came up fairly easily. Apart from the
vibration back through the hand. ;-) Needed some care to get the angle
right so not to chisel bits off the floorboards, though.

--
*No husband has ever been shot while doing the dishes *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Heat didn't shift them - cork is a pretty good insulator. I have a Bosch
wood carving thingie which I bought ages ago and haven't used much. With
its wide (2") scraper blade they came up fairly easily. Apart from the
vibration back through the hand. ;-) Needed some care to get the angle
right so not to chisel bits off the floorboards, though.

Garden spade is easiest in my experience.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday 22 June 2013 07:05 harryagain wrote in uk.d-i-y:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Heat didn't shift them - cork is a pretty good insulator. I have a Bosch
wood carving thingie which I bought ages ago and haven't used much. With
its wide (2") scraper blade they came up fairly easily. Apart from the
vibration back through the hand. ;-) Needed some care to get the angle
right so not to chisel bits off the floorboards, though.

Garden spade is easiest in my experience.

Yes - but on wood???

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
Garden spade is easiest in my experience.

Yes - but on wood???

You'd need a huge amount of force too. Nor could you use your foot to do
it as the angle is all wrong.

--
*The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese *

Cork tiles packat Home Repair 3 September 30th 10 05:44 AM
Solution to removing cork tiles Mary Fisher UK diy 18 April 19th 06 09:32 AM
cork tiles onto ceramic tiles? Pete UK diy 1 April 29th 05 12:31 AM
removing cork tiles - is there an easy(er) way? Jon UK diy 16 April 5th 05 04:16 PM
Removing Cork Tiles Anne Jackson UK diy 8 November 12th 03 08:08 PM