Anne Jackson

Default Removing Cork Tiles

Can anyone advise as to the best way to remove cork tiles
from a bathroom floor?

They've been down for quite a number of years. (It's
not my house, so I don't know exactly how long.)

TIA

--
AnneJ
ARWadsworth

"Huge" wrote in message
Anne Jackson writes:
Can anyone advise as to the best way to remove cork tiles
from a bathroom floor?

Well sharpened garden hoe.

A scraper and elbow grease.

--
Adam

BillR

Anne Jackson wrote:
Can anyone advise as to the best way to remove cork tiles
from a bathroom floor?

They've been down for quite a number of years. (It's
not my house, so I don't know exactly how long.)

TIA

Try heavy duty floor scraper, Screwfix have example.
Even then its bloody hard work.
I just removed same from daughter's concrete bathroom floor.
Took me 4 hours. In the end was also using flat prise bar and hammer to get
off the difficult bits.

In my own bathroom which is chipboard flooring, I decided to leave cork
tiles in place as it was nigh on impossible to get them off without damaging
the floor. I just made sure they were reasonably level, even replacing a
couple, and laid laminate over them.

John Laird

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 18:42:50 GMT, Anne Jackson wrote:

Can anyone advise as to the best way to remove cork tiles
from a bathroom floor?

What are they laid on ? If someone put down hardboard first, you need
merely prise up an edge and lift it in sheets, pulling up the pins later
(they will be left behind most likely). If they are directly on chipboard
or (intake of breath) floorboards, try a garden spade with a thin edge. I'd
imagine the glue will leave a horrible mess behind (that's why hardboard is
usually recommended).

--
Don't steal. The government hates competition.

Mail john rather than nospam...
Anne Jackson

The message
from John Laird contains these words:

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 18:42:50 GMT, Anne Jackson wrote:

Can anyone advise as to the best way to remove cork tiles
from a bathroom floor?

What are they laid on ? If someone put down hardboard first, you need
merely prise up an edge and lift it in sheets, pulling up the pins later
(they will be left behind most likely). If they are directly on chipboard
or (intake of breath) floorboards, try a garden spade with a thin edge. I'd
imagine the glue will leave a horrible mess behind (that's why hardboard is
usually recommended).

Yes, you've guessed it...he laid them on the existing floorboards!

I don't think he'll ever make that mistake again....

--
AnneJ
ICQ #:- 119531282

John Laird

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 18:48:00 GMT, Anne Jackson
wrote:

The message
from John Laird contains these words:

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 18:42:50 GMT, Anne Jackson wrote:

Can anyone advise as to the best way to remove cork tiles
from a bathroom floor?

What are they laid on ? If someone put down hardboard first, you need
merely prise up an edge and lift it in sheets, pulling up the pins later
(they will be left behind most likely). If they are directly on chipboard
or (intake of breath) floorboards, try a garden spade with a thin edge. I'd
imagine the glue will leave a horrible mess behind (that's why hardboard is
usually recommended).

Yes, you've guessed it...he laid them on the existing floorboards!

I don't think I've ever owned a house where the floorboards looked even
remotely flat enough to take a tiled covering. The ones in my bathroom are
not even flat enough for hardboard, but short of removing every single item
in the room and emptying the airing cupboard, they can stay there...

I don't think he'll ever make that mistake again....

Please administer the clue-by-4 gently :-)

--
Conclusion: the place where you got tired of thinking.

Mail john rather than nospam...
Michael Mcneil

"John Laird" wrote in message

I don't think he'll ever make that mistake again....

Please administer the clue-by-4 gently :-)

?
Unless you know what you are doing with harboard on the floor ou are
best off not using it. It needs to be wetted enough to expand so that
when it dries it pulls tight on its tacks. Otherwise it will buckle
terribly. Wetting it is a right sod to do too. A garden hose and a
fairly stiff broom is required.

John Laird

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 21:31:05 +0000 (UTC), "Michael Mcneil"
wrote:

"John Laird" wrote in message

I don't think he'll ever make that mistake again....

Please administer the clue-by-4 gently :-)

?
Unless you know what you are doing with harboard on the floor ou are
best off not using it. It needs to be wetted enough to expand so that
when it dries it pulls tight on its tacks. Otherwise it will buckle
terribly. Wetting it is a right sod to do too. A garden hose and a
fairly stiff broom is required.

Sounds like a faff. I've usually just left the sheets nearby to come to the
same humidity level as the house, and employed *plenty* of nails. It's not
going to buckle much if it's held down every 6" or so.

--
I'm busy now. Do you mind if I ignore you later?

Mail john rather than nospam...
Martin

Anne Jackson wrote in message ...
Can anyone advise as to the best way to remove cork tiles
from a bathroom floor?

They've been down for quite a number of years. (It's
not my house, so I don't know exactly how long.)

TIA

I had this task a couple of years ago and it was a real pain. Like
yours someone had laid mine on straight onto floorboards. No the
floorboards weren't flat enough but it didn't seem to stop them.

I used brute force and ignorance (and a hammer and chisel) and it took
me hours. Typically someone popped by just as I was finishing and told
me of a real easy way. His suggestion was to pour white spirit on the
floor and let it soak in overnight. Apparently it works a treat at
disolving the glue. I'm not sure if I like the idea of pooring a
flammable (and smelly) liquid all over the floor so if you do use this
method you do so at your own risk. Perhaps try a little bit first to
see if it works?

If you do try it, I'd be interested to know how you get on!

Martin.