Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ready mix concrete: local mix?

Someone posted the name of a franchise recently which does the mixing on
the spot. Can I find the thread?

My neighbour has just told me he needs 1.5 cubic metres and I wondered
if this method might be appropriate

TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article m,
newshound writes
Someone posted the name of a franchise recently which does the mixing on
the spot. Can I find the thread?

Annoying when that happens, isn't it :-)

It was in the "Cost of skip hire" thread and the company mentioned was
Mixamate (no personal experience of same).

My neighbour has just told me he needs 1.5 cubic metres and I wondered
if this method might be appropriate

Yes, that's an ideal size.

I have used a service (sorry no name) that used a sealed auger type
mixer which arguably gives a more consistent mix that can be controlled
in strength and metered down to a bucket, huge automated truck prob
close to the 32T limit. Others have reported variability in the quality
of open manual mixers so take care. I don't know which the Mixamate
franchise uses.

It was 90quid a cube when I used it, many moons ago so expect it to be
more than that, but I'd still expect it to be under 200quid for that
quantity.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/2013 12:58, fred wrote:
In article m,
newshound writes
[...]

Thanks for the warning. It's a ramp into a garage, the neighbour knows
what he is doing and has done a decent prep with plenty of hardcore, so
the mix quality is probably not *too* important. (It's replacing an inch
of hand-mix on top of earth!).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/2013 13:34, newshound wrote:
On 13/05/2013 12:52, GB wrote:
On 13/05/2013 12:12, newshound wrote:
Someone posted the name of a franchise recently which does the mixing on
the spot. Can I find the thread?

Can you?

Mixamate?

My neighbour has just told me he needs 1.5 cubic metres and I wondered
if this method might be appropriate

TIA

Excellent, thanks

But not available in Gloucestershire. Oh well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/2013 12:52, GB wrote:
On 13/05/2013 12:12, newshound wrote:
Someone posted the name of a franchise recently which does the
mixing on
the spot. Can I find the thread?

Can you?

Mixamate?

My neighbour has just told me he needs 1.5 cubic metres and I wondered
if this method might be appropriate

TIA

Excellent, thanks

But not available in Gloucestershire. Oh well.

There are other suppliers look for on-site mixer concrete suppliers
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/05/2013 13:38, newshound wrote:
On 13/05/2013 12:58, fred wrote:
In article m,
newshound writes
[...]

You can get some of the mix on site ones to barrow and lay as well if
required (although with a drive there is a fair chance they can drop it
directly where you need it anyway).

--
Cheers,

John.