Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bemis Ready to Use Concrete ?

Hi

I just had my fence posts replaced. The fence is redwood and the posts are
pressure treated wood.

I arrived home just as they were finishing and saw them do the last two
posts. They just poured a 60 lb bag of Bemis Concrete Ready to use in the
hole and then added water. He had a big bar with a paddle on the end and he
would move the bar up and down to mix it in another guy held the top of the
fence and moved it back and forth so the cement would settle.

So my questions are, was this the correct way to mix the cement?

Also on most posts the top of the cement is well below ground level.
Shouldn't the cement come up the posts an inch or so and be tapered down the
sides of the post? He needs to come back out as he didn't install the lag
bolts, these are sister posts. Am thinking of asking him to add more
cement?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 2, 9:17�pm, "Tube Audio" wrote:
[...]

yeah its normal today and should last as long as concrete mixed in a
wheel barrow and dumped.

although long term you would of been better off with PVC post bottoms
holding your redwood posts just above grade
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 2, 8:17 pm, "Tube Audio" wrote:
[...]

My local Menards sells "Post Set" concrete which has directions on the
bag that are pretty much exactly what your contractor is doing. This
post set concrete is a faster setting type than the normal ready-to-
mix stuff.

It wouldn't be a bad thing to have more concrete in the hole.

JK
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Or at a minimum, surround the bottom foot or so of the post in the hole
with gravel- cover the bottom of the hole with gravel, put the post in,
pour in some more gravel, and only then add concrete. The wood should
never sit in a concrete pocket- that will rot it off at a young age. And
yes, 'coning' the top so water doesn't pond against the wood is also a
good idea.

It all depend how long you want the fence to last.

--
aem sends...