Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Induction hob - Y/N?

On Sun, 12 May 2013 15:07:55 +0100, Edgar Iredale
wrote:

That said I've noticed when house hunting that kitchens with gas cookers
tend to be grimier than those with electric. So if it's not the quantity
of water it may be the soot from combustion combined with grease and
stuff from the cooking that is carried up onto the ceiling and walls and
deposited there by the condensing water vapour

It is usually because people with gas hobs tend to cook on them, those
with electric tend to warm up supermarket ready meals on them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 11 May 2013 23:05:52 -0700, harry wrote:

There is a theory that the Nox gases released into the house by gas
cookers are quite bad for you.
Especially if you have an existing pulminary problem such as asthma. If
you walk into a house with a gas cooker, you can tell instantly by the
smell.

You make it sound as bad a breathing IRFNA fumes.

--
Terry Fields
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 May 2013 12:33:22 -0400, S Viemeister wrote:

We don't have mains gas either, but 2 or 3 years ago we had a dual-fuel
cooker installed. The two propane bottles have an automatic changeover
wotsit.

Presumably gas hob and electric oven? What size cylinder do you use and
how long does one last?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, May 12, 2013 12:11:55 PM UTC+1, polygonum wrote:
snip

And who remembers the gas lighter that was a thin, flexible pipe and a
triggered thing at the end (halfway between a fag lighter and a blowtorch!)?

I remember my Mum's old gas cooker had one of those - never worked properly, as far as I can remember; you had to light it with a match, so it usually didn't save you any time to use it.
The one she bought in the sixties had pilot lights on everything but the grill, which had its own electric ignitor.
I'm still using it now - she passed it on to me in around 1980!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5/13/2013 5:38 AM, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 12 May 2013 12:33:22 -0400, S Viemeister wrote:

We don't have mains gas either, but 2 or 3 years ago we had a dual-fuel
cooker installed. The two propane bottles have an automatic changeover
wotsit.

Presumably gas hob and electric oven? What size cylinder do you use and
how long does one last?

Yes, gas hob and electric ovens.

IIRC (I'm out of the country at the moment) the cylinders are 19k.
Not really sure how long each one would last in _normal_ use, as I've
been away quite a bit - I haven't yet had to refill. Of course, with an
electric kettle and electric ovens, slow cooker, steamer, toaster, and
microwave, gas usage is not heavy. And my pressure cooker also saves on
gas usage.

The hob includes a big triple-ring 'wok' burner, two large, and one
smaller. The supports are cast-iron and can be cleaned in the
dishwasher; the top is sealed (no holes beneath the burners) and easy to
wipe clean.

I like cooking, and I'm pleased with its performance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 12, 9:53*pm, Andy Champ wrote:
On 12/05/2013 00:06, Lobster wrote:

I know zip about these other than I can see they are expensive - does
anybody here recommend them? *Also, are they straightforward to fit (we
do have a dedicated radial oven cable already)

Best bit of kitchen kit we ever bought. far FAR faster than anything
else, and really controllable.

I'd say, of the cookers we've had:

Ceramic hob - easy to clean, unless you have a burnt-on spill. Godawful
slow.

Radiant ring - faster than ceramic. Never did work out how to clean it.

Halogen (only used my mum's) - better than the above, but not as fast as
gas. Spills burn on.

Gas - had one for years. PITA to clean, inefficient, you can use
anything at all to cook with. Even an old tin if you want.

Induction - faster than any of the above, efficient, quiet (Which?
reckon noisy - I think ours is quieter than the gas, just the occasional
buzz), and so easy to clean - just needs a wipe with a damp cloth, as no
part of it ever gets hot enough to burn anything on. But we did have to
buy new saucepans, and I'm now doing stirfries in a saut pan as you can
get a flat wok.

I've got a wok with a flat centre section in the base ;)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim K wrote:
On May 12, 9:53*pm, Andy Champ wrote:
On 12/05/2013 00:06, Lobster wrote:

Induction - faster than any of the above, efficient, quiet (Which?
reckon noisy - I think ours is quieter than the gas, just the occasional
buzz), and so easy to clean - just needs a wipe with a damp cloth, as no
part of it ever gets hot enough to burn anything on. But we did have to
buy new saucepans, and I'm now doing stirfries in a saut pan as you can
get a flat wok.

I've got a wok with a flat centre section in the base ;)

Me too!

Sadly it's one of those hard-annodised aluminium ones )-:

Gordon

Induction hob and old brass pan Stephen Mawson UK diy 52 September 9th 19 10:44 PM
OT - Marks on induction hob Bald eagle UK diy 14 November 1st 14 08:38 PM
Induction Hob Top ClueLess Electronics Repair 3 October 31st 12 12:55 AM
Induction Hobs polygonum UK diy 42 December 6th 11 08:05 PM
Induction or Ceramic John UK diy 22 August 10th 11 02:24 PM