Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Induction Hobs

After a fairly recent thread here, we decided on an induction hob when we
replaced a rather ancient cooker. And it is truly amazingly much better
in, I think, every way than ceramic hob that went before.

Now ongoing problems with electric kettles make me wonder whether there
would be any significant loss of efficiency in using a hob kettle than an
electric one? Obviously depends on whether there are suitable hob kettles
available...

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2011 23:19, polygonum wrote:
After a fairly recent thread here, we decided on an induction hob when
we replaced a rather ancient cooker. And it is truly amazingly much
better in, I think, every way than ceramic hob that went before.

Aren't most things better in any way than a ceramic hob? Ok, maybe not
the old style wound elements, but...

Now ongoing problems with electric kettles make me wonder whether there
would be any significant loss of efficiency in using a hob kettle than
an electric one? Obviously depends on whether there are suitable hob
kettles available...

Probably not - IIRC some friends measured it and it came out similar.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 03 Dec 2011 23:19:53 -0000, polygonum wrote:

we decided on an induction hob when we replaced a rather ancient cooker.
And it is truly amazingly much better in, I think, every way than
ceramic hob that went before.

Well it's not difficult to be better than any normal electric hot
plate be it ceramic, solid or ring. Have you ever cooked on gas? If
so how does the induction compare?

Now ongoing problems with electric kettles make me wonder whether there
would be any significant loss of efficiency in using a hob kettle than
an electric one?

There must be losses in the electronics driving the induction plates.
A kettle won't have those losses. There is probably more thermal mass
in a kettle suitable for an induction hob as well. Wether these add
up to anything "significant" I don't know. I'd expect no more than
100W of losses in the electronics, that would be 4% for a 2500W
plate.

Obviously depends on whether there are suitable hob kettles available...

Probably wise to go kettle shopping with a magnet in your pocket.
B-)
But a quick google shows that they do exist.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Now ongoing problems with electric kettles make me wonder whether
there would be any significant loss of efficiency in using a hob
kettle than an electric one? .

Doesn't that depend on the behaviour of the users as well as the
equipment? I have in mind that (most) electric kettles will boil hard
briefly but then turn off automatically. If the users stand by the
induction hob they might turn the kettle off as soon as it boils, saving
a few seconds. OTOH if users sit down to wait for the kettle to boil
and do not move fast then the hob kettle may boil on for longer than the
electric. And if the users happen not to turn the hob off before
answering the door, going to the loo, etc .......

Perhaps you could get a grant to instal the necessary cameras and carry
out some research?
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 00:12:36 -0000, Dave Liquorice
wrote:

[...]

It is quite some time since I really cooked by gas. Used to much prefer
gas, then circumstances changed... But I have to say that there are
several advantages to induction - some of these are with respect to gas,
some wrt to anything else...

o The lack of hot gases/air rushing up the sides of the pans. This also
seems to make washing up easier.
o The delightfully cool and easy to clean flat surface.
o The incredibly low minimum settings - without feeling a flame is going
to go out or that you are just heating one tiny area of the pan.
o The seemingly much more even heat distribution across the base of the
pans.
o No gas smell!
o Lack of any consideration of "ignition".
o The very fast heating.
o The instant off.
o The impossibility of leaving a ring 'on' without a pan.

In so many ways it reminds me of those incredibly dated adverts of the
1940s/50s proclaiming the advantages of the modern all-electric kitchen.
But this time it is delivering.

Ah but "suitable" includes all sorts of factors beyond simple existence of
ones with suitable bases - like colour. :-)

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 09:39:23 -0000, Robin wrote:

Now ongoing problems with electric kettles make me wonder whether
there would be any significant loss of efficiency in using a hob
kettle than an electric one? .

Doesn't that depend on the behaviour of the users as well as the
equipment? I have in mind that (most) electric kettles will boil hard
briefly but then turn off automatically. If the users stand by the
induction hob they might turn the kettle off as soon as it boils, saving
a few seconds. OTOH if users sit down to wait for the kettle to boil
and do not move fast then the hob kettle may boil on for longer than the
electric. And if the users happen not to turn the hob off before
answering the door, going to the loo, etc .......

Perhaps you could get a grant to instal the necessary cameras and carry
out some research?

If anyone wishes to make donations for said research, let me know.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
[...]

Nice not to have to cover the kettle element when heating water for a
single cup of coffee.

Ping the thread on Dualit kettles:-)

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 09:48:27 -0000, polygonum wrote:

o The lack of hot gases/air rushing up the sides of the pans. This also
seems to make washing up easier.

Can't say that has ever bothered me, just adjust the size of the
flame so that it under the pan. Some people don't appear to know
that.

o The delightfully cool and easy to clean flat surface.

That appeals, having has a ceramic hob and having to clean off the
carbonised deposits of the inevitable food spills.

o The incredibly low minimum settings - without feeling a flame is
going to go out or that you are just heating one tiny area of the pan.

That is what *really* appeals. The on/off "control" of an electric
ring means the temperature at the pan base has a tremendous range
from barely warm to scorching hot, trying to cook anything that might
catch on the bottom of the pan is nigh on impossible.

Modern gas cookers seem to have a minimum setting that is also on the
high side. the gas cookers that I was brought up with didn't have
such a "safety" feature.

o The seemingly much more even heat distribution across the base of the
pans.

Well it is heating the whole base of the pan, electric only heats
where it touches and gas where the flame is. Thick based pans can
help with that but on electric that just makes the lack of fine
control even worse.

o No gas smell!
o Lack of any consideration of "ignition".

Niether of those bother me.

o The very fast heating.
o The instant off.

But they do. The several minuet delay whilst everythng gets up to
temperature with electric really bugs me. If you start at the setting
you want it takes an age to get there, if you start at max you have
to watch it so you don't melt the pan! Very much a case of the tail
wagging the dog.

o The impossibility of leaving a ring 'on' without a pan.

A nice to have feature but what happens when you lift a pan off to
add something then put it back? Does it remember the setting or do
you have to reset it manually? If it does remember how long does it
remember for? IS there some indication that a given ring is on but
not active?

Ah but "suitable" includes all sorts of factors beyond simple existence
of ones with suitable bases - like colour. :-)

Have a google, there does seem to be quite a range of style and
colours of hob kettles suitable for an induction hob. But overall I'd
say a decent electric kettle (fast/rapid boil) will be quicker and
more effcient. As others have pointed out you may leave a hob kettle
on the hob and "forget" about it but then a decent whistler is hard
to ignore, if you are about...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 10:41:57 -0000, Dave Liquorice
wrote:

On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 09:48:27 -0000, polygonum wrote:

o The lack of hot gases/air rushing up the sides of the pans. This also
seems to make washing up easier.

Can't say that has ever bothered me, just adjust the size of the
flame so that it under the pan. Some people don't appear to know
that.

I didn't realise what an impact that had until getting one that doesn't.

[...]

Thick bases help - but induction seems to solve.

o No gas smell!
o Lack of any consideration of "ignition".

Niether of those bother me.

o The very fast heating.
o The instant off.

But they do. The several minuet delay whilst everythng gets up to
temperature with electric really bugs me. If you start at the setting
you want it takes an age to get there, if you start at max you have
to watch it so you don't melt the pan! Very much a case of the tail
wagging the dog.

This model has a special setting - turn up to 9 (max.) then a bit further.
It puts onto supercharger for a short while.

o The impossibility of leaving a ring 'on' without a pan.

A nice to have feature but what happens when you lift a pan off to
add something then put it back? Does it remember the setting or do
you have to reset it manually? If it does remember how long does it
remember for? IS there some indication that a given ring is on but
not active?

If you just lift off for a minute and put it back, it goes back exactly
where it was.

The rings have indicators - number for setting, changes to special symbol
if pan lifted (like an underlined 'U'), even an H when hob itself is above
IIRC 60. I'm sure these features do vary.

Ah but "suitable" includes all sorts of factors beyond simple existence
of ones with suitable bases - like colour. :-)

Have a google, there does seem to be quite a range of style and
colours of hob kettles suitable for an induction hob. But overall I'd
say a decent electric kettle (fast/rapid boil) will be quicker and
more effcient. As others have pointed out you may leave a hob kettle
on the hob and "forget" about it but then a decent whistler is hard
to ignore, if you are about...

Induction also has an overheated pan sensor. Think it switches off if it
gets too hot. Understandably, have not tested this yet.

Also got a rather neat 'combine rings' settings - the two rings on the
left can operate as one - and I think it heats the entire area - not just
the two circular areas, IYSWIM.

Agreed that an electric kettle has advantages. Need partner available
before worth googling beyond finding out they exist.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 09:55:05 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:

Nice not to have to cover the kettle element when heating water for a
single cup of coffee.

Modern kettles do not have the element in the water but built into a
flat metalic base. I could boil a teaspoon of water in ours but it
would almost explosively vaporise as the kettle is a 3kW(ish) rapid
boil one...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 4, 11:05*am, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 09:55:05 +0000, Tim Lamb wrote:
Nice not to have to cover the kettle element when heating water for a
single cup of coffee.

Modern kettles do not have the element in the water but built into a
flat metalic base. I could boil a teaspoon of water in ours but it
would almost explosively vaporise as the kettle is a 3kW(ish) rapid
boil one...

--
Cheers
Dave.

The other good feature is you can lift them of fthe base without
having to unplug them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Modern kettles do not have the element in the water but built into a
flat metalic base. I could boil a teaspoon of water in ours but it
would almost explosively vaporise as the kettle is a 3kW(ish) rapid
boil one...

Mine's like that, it does still have a minimum marker of about 3-400ml
though, which is about a cupful.

I suppose there's a point below which it won't generate sufficient
"steam" to trip the auto-switchoff, but I'd think 100ml would be more
than adequate for that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

But can you do a decent wok-stir-fry on one?

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/2011 10:41, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Modern gas cookers seem to have a minimum setting that is also on the
high side. the gas cookers that I was brought up with didn't have
such a "safety" feature.

You can change the minimum setting on at least some - ours has it turned
down from what it came with.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 12:26:06 -0000, Tim Watts wrote:

But can you do a decent wok-stir-fry on one?

That is the one thing we have discussed here - and suspect that while it
will be better than ceramic, it will be nowhere near as good as a monster
gas flame.

But of no consequence to us these days.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"polygonum" wrote in message
news
After a fairly recent thread here, we decided on an induction hob when we
replaced a rather ancient cooker. And it is truly amazingly much better
in, I think, every way than ceramic hob that went before.

Now ongoing problems with electric kettles make me wonder whether there
would be any significant loss of efficiency in using a hob kettle than an
electric one? Obviously depends on whether there are suitable hob kettles
available...

If anyone wants to experience induction hobs on a budget, there is a free
standing 2Kw single ring on sale in Lidl at the moment.
We bought one to provide an electric ring for our camper for use on electric
hookup.
Where there is enough juice of course - some hookups might not take 2Kw as
they are nominally rated at 6 amp.

I've played with it in the kitchen and it is quite interesting - it has two
modes, a power setting from 1-10 and a temperature setting which in theory
lets you keep the pan at a regular temperature but I am dubious about the
effectiveness as it takes a while for heat to transfer from the pan to the
hob.

The low power settings seem to operate much like that of a microwave - full
power for a short period, then no power.

Overall I have been very impressed.
The rapid heat up is awesome.

Compared to gas the low power setting might not be quite as good, but on
full power you don't get waste heat flowing up the side of the pan.

I haven't tried a wok on it - I suspect a traditional thin steel wok might
not have enough thermal mass to hold the induced heat compared to the quick
transfer of heat from a large gas wok burner.
However you can get wokish pans with thicker bases which might do.
Not the traditional wok experience, but you could probably stir fry.
Although you might be better off with a flat heavy based pan - I think woks
are really designed to work at all angles over a high gas flame or other
radiant heat source such as charcoal.

Oh, and ceramic hobs are absolute crap and come the revolution the one we
inherited in this kitchen will be hurled.

Dream kitchen might be a gas hob with wok burner, plus one or two induction
rings.
Oh, and an indoor charcoal grill, and a large griddle, and.....

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 04:00:07 -0800 (PST), harry wrote:

The other good feature is you can lift them of fthe base without
having to unplug them.

Yep though some don't have a round base with the connector in the
middle so have to be placed in the correct orientation. It's also
worth noteing that removing or returning the kettle to the base if it
is, or going to be, drawing power. The arc naggers the contacts in a
year or three. BTDTGTTS.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 12:33:29 +0000, Clive George wrote:

You can change the minimum setting on at least some - ours has it turned
down from what it came with.

Interesting. Worth keeping in the back of my mind but as we would
have to install gas (propane cylinders) to have a gas hob...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 11:02:44 -0000, polygonum wrote:

o The lack of hot gases/air rushing up the sides of the pans.

This
also seems to make washing up easier.

Can't say that has ever bothered me, just adjust the size of the
flame so that it under the pan. Some people don't appear to know
that.

I didn't realise what an impact that had until getting one that doesn't.

Aye, flames up the sides is wasted heat. For maximum heating adjust
the flame so it just reaches the edge of the pan. Woks excepted, flat
out probably isn't hot enough...

But they do. The several minuet delay whilst everythng gets up to
temperature with electric really bugs me. If you start at the

setting
you want it takes an age to get there, if you start at max you

have
to watch it so you don't melt the pan! Very much a case of the

tail
wagging the dog.

This model has a special setting - turn up to 9 (max.) then a bit
further. It puts onto supercharger for a short while.

Which make/model is it? A supecharger sounds like a good thing, just
what you need to whack serious heat into a pan for stir frying. When
I had a gas hob I'd remove the flame spreader and set fire to the
gas/air coming out of the 1" dia hole underneath. This would produce
a flame only a foot tall but no cold spot in the middle of the wok.
Commercial wok burners have terrific heat outputs compared to a
normal domestic hob ring. The street vendors in China would cook over
forced air compressed coal things, outside of the pan would be cherry
red...

If you just lift off for a minute and put it back, it goes back exactly
where it was.

The rings have indicators - number for setting, changes to special
symbol if pan lifted (like an underlined 'U'), even an H when hob
itself is above IRC 60. I'm sure these features do vary.

I'm sure the features do vary but it's very useful to know what
features exist so one can look for them when comparing models.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive George wrote:
On 03/12/2011 23:19, polygonum wrote:
After a fairly recent thread here, we decided on an induction hob when
we replaced a rather ancient cooker. And it is truly amazingly much
better in, I think, every way than ceramic hob that went before.

Aren't most things better in any way than a ceramic hob? Ok, maybe not
the old style wound elements, but...

Now ongoing problems with electric kettles make me wonder whether there
would be any significant loss of efficiency in using a hob kettle than
an electric one? Obviously depends on whether there are suitable hob
kettles available...

Probably not - IIRC some friends measured it and it came out similar.

you surprise me. heatloss from a ring is way over that of a kettle surely?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/4/2011 11:03 AM, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 12:33:29 +0000, Clive George wrote:

You can change the minimum setting on at least some - ours has it turned
down from what it came with.

Interesting. Worth keeping in the back of my mind but as we would
have to install gas (propane cylinders) to have a gas hob...

We finally had a gas hob installed (propane). I wish we'd done it years ago!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2011 23:19, polygonum wrote:
After a fairly recent thread here, we decided on an induction hob when
we replaced a rather ancient cooker. And it is truly amazingly much
better in, I think, every way than ceramic hob that went before.

Now ongoing problems with electric kettles make me wonder whether there
would be any significant loss of efficiency in using a hob kettle than
an electric one? Obviously depends on whether there are suitable hob
kettles available...

I believe Dennis is our resident expert on induction hobs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 03/12/2011 23:19, polygonum wrote:
After a fairly recent thread here, we decided on an induction hob when
we replaced a rather ancient cooker. And it is truly amazingly much
better in, I think, every way than ceramic hob that went before.

Now ongoing problems with electric kettles make me wonder whether there
would be any significant loss of efficiency in using a hob kettle than
an electric one? Obviously depends on whether there are suitable hob
kettles available...

I believe Dennis is our resident expert on induction hobs.

So that's a 'no expert exists' then is it?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 16:13:46 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Now ongoing problems with electric kettles make me wonder whether

there would be any significant loss of efficiency in using a hob
kettle than an electric one? Obviously depends on whether there

are
suitable hob kettles available...

Probably not - IIRC some friends measured it and it came out

similar.

you surprise me. heatloss from a ring is way over that of a kettle
surely?

With a traditional electric ring yes but induction directly heats the
pan base, very much like an enclosed element electric kettle.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/2011 16:03, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 12:33:29 +0000, Clive George wrote:

You can change the minimum setting on at least some - ours has it turned
down from what it came with.

Interesting. Worth keeping in the back of my mind but as we would
have to install gas (propane cylinders) to have a gas hob...

We did that. Got a pair of 13kg cylinders on an autochanger, they last
for ages (6 months?). Remarkably easy to DIY the whole thing - single
run of flexible 10mm-ish copper. (I say ish, can't remember if it's
metric or imperial, it was a while ago). Ok, it helps having the
sensible location for the cylinders being pretty much on the other side
of the wall from the hob :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 16:13:34 -0000, Dave Liquorice
wrote:

[...]

Four burners - left column is normal kilowattage - right column is
supercharged:

1.85 3.00
1.85 3.00
1.40 2.20
2.30 3.70

(There are limits - you cannot have them all boosted at once!)

So way below a commercial wok burner but above what I have ever seen on a
domestic electric hob.

It is a very ordinary Belling FSE60i.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-12-04, Tim Watts wrote:

But can you do a decent wok-stir-fry on one?

IME, yes. We were umm-ing and ahh-ing about buying an induction hob,
so I bought a cheapo single ring one off t'web. The one thing it's
really good at is wokking. I imagine a HOOJ gas flame would be
better, but we don't have one of those.

And did you manage to do this without starting a fire as dennis did?
--
Adam

* Sometimes I like to lay in my neighbours garden and pretend to be a
carrot *

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 03/12/2011 23:19, polygonum wrote:
After a fairly recent thread here, we decided on an induction hob
when we replaced a rather ancient cooker. And it is truly amazingly
much better in, I think, every way than ceramic hob that went before.

Now ongoing problems with electric kettles make me wonder whether
there would be any significant loss of efficiency in using a hob
kettle than an electric one? Obviously depends on whether there are
suitable hob kettles available...

I believe Dennis is our resident expert on induction hobs.

And VAT, building regs, CCTV, electrical installations, European geography
etc.

He's very talented you know:-)

--
Adam

* Sometimes I like to lay in my neighbours garden and pretend to be a
carrot *

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-12-04, Tim Watts wrote:

But can you do a decent wok-stir-fry on one?

IME, yes. We were umm-ing and ahh-ing about buying an induction hob,
so I bought a cheapo single ring one off t'web. The one thing it's
really good at is wokking. I imagine a HOOJ gas flame would be
better, but we don't have one of those.

And did you manage to do this without starting a fire as dennis did?

Shame on you for even considering such a thing.

It actually took him two goes with the induction hob to start the fire (the
first attempt at starting a fire failed as he did not know that his non
magnetic pans would not work on an induction hob)

--
Adam

* Sometimes I like to lay in my neighbours garden and pretend to be a
carrot *

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-12-04, Tim Watts wrote:

But can you do a decent wok-stir-fry on one?

IME, yes. We were umm-ing and ahh-ing about buying an induction hob, so I
bought a cheapo single ring one off t'web. The one thing it's really good
at is wokking. I imagine a HOOJ gas flame would be better, but we don't
have
one of those.

What kind of wok?
The traditional ones have a rounded bottom so really need a wok ring to
support them and presumably have very little metal close to the induction
hob.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 03/12/2011 23:19, polygonum wrote:
After a fairly recent thread here, we decided on an induction hob when
we replaced a rather ancient cooker. And it is truly amazingly much
better in, I think, every way than ceramic hob that went before.

Now ongoing problems with electric kettles make me wonder whether there
would be any significant loss of efficiency in using a hob kettle than
an electric one? Obviously depends on whether there are suitable hob
kettles available...

I believe Dennis is our resident expert on induction hobs.

So that's a 'no expert exists' then is it?

Like you are the expert on AGW then.
At least I posted a warning that thin cheap 99p Asda woks don't work well on
Lidl induction hobs as they heat up to smoke point in seconds. They would be
OK as saucepans with plenty of water in.
Anyway it gives the opportunity for ARW, geof and TMH to behave like the
arseholes they are so all is not lost.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-12-04, Tim Watts wrote:

But can you do a decent wok-stir-fry on one?

IME, yes. We were umm-ing and ahh-ing about buying an induction hob, so I
bought a cheapo single ring one off t'web. The one thing it's really good
at is wokking. I imagine a HOOJ gas flame would be better, but we don't
have
one of those.

What kind of wok?
The traditional ones have a rounded bottom so really need a wok ring to
support them and presumably have very little metal close to the induction
hob.

I'm happy to concede having a made-for-purpose induction friendly wok, which
I suppose would have a flat base section and be seriously thick metal.

All I care about is how well does it work.

We're assuming we're going to get a gas cooker, but the deal is not done
yet. And wok frying is essential.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

On 03/12/2011 23:19, polygonum wrote:
After a fairly recent thread here, we decided on an induction hob when
we replaced a rather ancient cooker. And it is truly amazingly much
better in, I think, every way than ceramic hob that went before.

Now ongoing problems with electric kettles make me wonder whether there
would be any significant loss of efficiency in using a hob kettle than
an electric one? Obviously depends on whether there are suitable hob
kettles available...

I believe Dennis is our resident expert on induction hobs.

Did he sit on one wearing his scottish issue 000 wire wool underpants?

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

We are not behaving like arseholes, we are taking the **** out of you
because you are a braindead spineless retard.

--
Adam

* Sometimes I like to lay in my neighbours garden and pretend to be a
carrot *

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/2011 16:00, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 04:00:07 -0800 (PST), harry wrote:

The other good feature is you can lift them of fthe base without
having to unplug them.

Yep though some don't have a round base with the connector in the
middle so have to be placed in the correct orientation. It's also

Ours (hitachi) is a round base with co-axial connectors, so the
orientation does not matter. I don't insert or remove it under load though.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 5, 1:06*am, John Rumm wrote:
On 04/12/2011 16:00, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 04:00:07 -0800 (PST), harry wrote:

The other good feature is you can lift them of fthe base without
having to unplug them.

Yep though some don't have a round base with the connector in the
middle so have to be placed in the correct orientation. It's also

Ours (hitachi) is a round base with co-axial connectors, so the
orientation does not matter. I don't insert or remove it under load though.

That's what we have too. Hard tothing of a more efficient/convenient
means of heating water.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/2011 19:32, dennis@home wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

At last I get a mention!

Note to Dennis; An Arsehole is someone who tries to grass up someone who
annoys him with the deliberate intention of damaging his livelihood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/12/2011 20:09, ARWadsworth wrote:
dennis@home wrote:
"The Natural wrote in message
The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

Adam. Thats unfair to braindead spineless retards.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message

At last I get a mention!

Note to Dennis; An Arsehole is someone who tries to grass up someone who
annoys him with the deliberate intention of damaging his livelihood.

New definition..
idiot: a handyman that continues to try and incite a criminal act even after
he has been told he is doing so and then moans when someone takes measures
to stop him doing so.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

Not the ones with burnt fingers:-)

--
Adam

* Sometimes I like to lay in my neighbours garden and pretend to be a
carrot *

Gas hobs on propane Andrew Mawson UK diy 3 January 17th 11 09:53 PM
induction hobs Dave UK diy 47 July 31st 08 06:55 PM
Induction hobs - can you afford one? Jay Arr UK diy 25 September 8th 06 04:15 PM
electric hobs Maurice Hood UK diy 8 May 2nd 06 11:02 PM
Built in Gas Hobs Pete UK diy 8 December 27th 03 03:01 PM