Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Induction hobs - can you afford one?

For the second time in three months the glass has shattered on my superb
Hotpoint induction hob after dropping a metal item ( pepper mill/ kitchen
knife) from an overhanging ledge Cost of replacement is £200. It's a
DIY job. Why did my previous bog standard glass-topped Horpoint hobs never
seem succeptible to such occasional ham-fistedness?

I've had to adopt the safety procedure of covering the induction hob with a
piece of vynil when not in use.

Between times, when I have been forced to revert to a bog-standard hob
during repairs, it has proved that the induction hob is miles ahead in power
and speed and cleanliness.

Thought you'd like to know!!

Jimmie (£400 down but still in love with induction).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jay Arr wrote:
For the second time in three months the glass has shattered on my superb
Hotpoint induction hob after dropping a metal item ( pepper mill/ kitchen
knife) from an overhanging ledge Cost of replacement is £200. It's a
DIY job. Why did my previous bog standard glass-topped Horpoint hobs never
seem succeptible to such occasional ham-fistedness?

I've had to adopt the safety procedure of covering the induction hob with a
piece of vynil when not in use.

Between times, when I have been forced to revert to a bog-standard hob
during repairs, it has proved that the induction hob is miles ahead in power
and speed and cleanliness.

Thought you'd like to know!!

Jimmie (£400 down but still in love with induction).

Have you thought about adding 'accidental damage' to your home
insurance cover?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"peter" wrote in message
oups.com...
Jay Arr wrote:
[...]

Why, so the rest of us pay for it as well!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Aug 2006 09:26:15 -0700, "peter" wrote:

Have you thought about adding 'accidental damage' to your home
insurance cover?

Wouldn't it be easier to move the shelf?

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Jay Arr" contains these words:

Why did my previous bog standard glass-topped Horpoint hobs never
seem succeptible to such occasional ham-fistedness?

Dunno, but I'd sure shift the overhanging ledge.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Parry wrote:

Wouldn't it be easier to move the shelf?

Best solution I'd say.

Or, if that's not viable just keep often used items on the work surface
next to the hob and if the shelf _must_ remain then put rarely used
things on it... like... cookery books.

http://Water-Rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Peter Parry writes:
On 14 Aug 2006 09:26:15 -0700, "peter" wrote:

Have you thought about adding 'accidental damage' to your home
insurance cover?

Wouldn't it be easier to move the shelf?

When you take out the last screw, just be very careful you don't
drop it ... ;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jay Arr wrote:

For the second time in three months the glass has shattered on my superb
Hotpoint induction hob after dropping a metal item ( pepper mill/ kitchen
knife) from an overhanging ledge Cost of replacement is £200. It's a
DIY job. Why did my previous bog standard glass-topped Horpoint hobs never
seem succeptible to such occasional ham-fistedness?

Ever seen a professional chef use an induction hob? No...

shokka

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

When you take out the last screw, just be very careful you don't
drop it ... ;-)

I think the hob would be able to handle a single falling screw without
too much damage.

:¬))

http://Water-Rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Shokka wrote:

Ever seen a professional chef use an induction hob? No...

Don't they have non-professional types to clean up after them too?

Our Induction hob gets used pretty infrequently, but the ease of
cleaning alone justifies the premium price tag.

Wouldn't go back to any other type of hob...
Unless I was really clumsy and kept dropping things on it!

:¬)

http://Water-Rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

Shokka wrote:
Ever seen a professional chef use an induction hob? No...

Actually yes, but only on board ship where fire regulations prohibited
any form of flame.

Induction hobs are hugely expensive (Roughly 7 times that on a
conventional hob) and and have half the system efficiency of a gas hob.

They are also less reliable, more expensive to repair than other types
of electric hob and are rather fussy about the cookware you use.

Yes, they are easy to clean but then so is a halogen hob which is
cheaper!

Apart from "poseur" value, I really don't see the benefit at all!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Shokka wrote:

Induction hobs are hugely expensive (Roughly 7 times that on a
conventional hob)

A very cheap conventional hob perhaps - our DeDietrich was ~£600.

and and have half the system efficiency of a gas hob.

Now that /is/ total rubbish - they're not far off 95% efficient, as
evidenced by the tiny heat loss though the cooling fan.

They are also less reliable

Certainly not my experience.

more expensive to repair than other types
of electric hob

Your first correct assertion.

and are rather fussy about the cookware you use.

Only in that you need to use pans with relatively thick bases.

Yes, they are easy to clean but then so is a halogen hob which is
cheaper!

But a halogen hob fails to perform its primary function, that of
transferring heat to pots and pans, with any degree of adequacy.

Apart from "poseur" value, I really don't see the benefit at all!

No, I'm sure you don't. I'm guessing you've never actually used one.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Shokka wrote:

Ever seen a professional chef use an induction hob? No...

Yes, plenty.

Some think they're the best type of electric cooker.

Some think they're the best type of _cooker_.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have a Hotpoint induction hob. It was expensive. It is a delight to
use. It pumps out power when I want it and gives exceptionally fine
control over low heat settings. It is magic to clean since the induction
principle heats the pot and not the glass cooker surface. No knobs -
everything touch control. It beats every device I have used for the past
50 years including a Kelly Kettle, an outback camp fire, a military field
kitchen flame thrower and my granny's gas cooker. A recent repair to
replace the smashed glass top was £200 for the part alone but examination of
the innards during the repair process revealed why these devices are
expensive. Would I buy another? Yes.

Jimmie

Cordon Bleu

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jay Arr wrote:
I have a Hotpoint induction hob. It was expensive. It is a delight to
use. It pumps out power when I want it and gives exceptionally fine
control over low heat settings. It is magic to clean since the induction
principle heats the pot and not the glass cooker surface. No knobs -
everything touch control. It beats every device I have used for the past
50 years including a Kelly Kettle, an outback camp fire, a military field
kitchen flame thrower and my granny's gas cooker. A recent repair to
replace the smashed glass top was £200 for the part alone but examination of
the innards during the repair process revealed why these devices are
expensive. Would I buy another? Yes.

Jimmie

Cordon Bleu

Could you give us some indication as to what you found in them there
innards ?
Lots of coils wound in pure gold, etc ...
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
Jay Arr wrote:
[...]

May be of interest.
http://www.richieburnett.co.uk/indheat.html
I wonder how much power he was using to heat those items to white hot.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Sep 2006 07:07:45 -0700, "sm_jamieson"
wrote:

Jay Arr wrote:
[...]

Oxygen-free litz wire?

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Shokka" wrote in message
ups.com...
Owain wrote:

Shokka wrote:
Ever seen a professional chef use an induction hob? No...

Actually yes, but only on board ship where fire regulations prohibited
any form of flame.

Induction hobs are hugely expensive (Roughly 7 times that on a
conventional hob) and and have half the system efficiency of a gas hob.

More like 4

They are also less reliable, more expensive to repair than other types
of electric hob and are rather fussy about the cookware you use.

You just have to have the right type of pans. Once you have them it is not an
issue

Yes, they are easy to clean but then so is a halogen hob which is
cheaper!

Apart from "poseur" value, I really don't see the benefit at all!

Efficient as heat is gnerated in pan, very rapid response to changes in control
settings, no heat is given off if pans is removed.

--

Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grunff wrote:

Shokka wrote:
and and have half the system efficiency of a gas hob.

Now that /is/ total rubbish - they're not far off 95% efficient, as
evidenced by the tiny heat loss though the cooling fan.

Errr, you are misinterpreting what I said.

I said they have half the SYSTEM efficiency of a gas hob. See here,
section 6.3.2:

http://www.eci.ox.ac.uk/lowercf/pdfd...ds/decade2.pdf

shokwave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:

Induction hobs are hugely expensive (Roughly 7 times that on a
conventional hob) and and have half the system efficiency of a gas hob.

More like 4

7 to 8 times. See he

http://www.eci.ox.ac.uk/lowercf/pdfd...ds/decade2.pdf

Efficient as heat is gnerated in pan, very rapid response to changes in control
settings, no heat is given off if pans is removed.

In-efficient as you have to generate the electricity in the first
place! The overall system efficieny is roughly half that of a gas hob
that burns the gas directly.

How can it be efficient if it uses DOUBLE the earth's resources??!

http://www.eci.ox.ac.uk/lowercf/pdfd...ds/decade2.pdf

shokka

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Shokka wrote:
In-efficient as you have to generate the electricity in the first
place! The overall system efficieny is roughly half that of a gas hob
that burns the gas directly.

Save your accurate, but largely irrelevant, rant for halogen hobs and
Maggie Thatcher's gas-fired generating plant.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Shokka wrote:

Next time you have a dinner party and you are showing off your
induction hob to your friends just remember that you are using twice
the resources and producing twice as much pollution as me, with my gas
hob!

Woopee for you - must be nice to be /that/ self-righteous.

How about doing a full systems analysis on your whole life? How
efficient is your house heating? Your car? Your food products? Really,
get over it.

What percentage of household energy (in the UK) is used for cooking?

You're not a gegraphy lecturer at a poly, are you? Sound like one.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grunff" wrote in message

You're not a gegraphy lecturer at a poly, are you? Sound like one.

Ooh, there lies a completely unrelated rant. Why have geographers got rid of
the interesting bits of their subject (ie physical) in favour of the boring
human stuff?

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive George wrote:
"Grunff" wrote in message

You're not a gegraphy lecturer at a poly, are you? Sound like one.

Ooh, there lies a completely unrelated rant. Why have geographers got rid of
the interesting bits of their subject (ie physical) in favour of the boring
human stuff?

Because it's easier to teach and get everyone to pass with a
1st/A***/whatever.

Touchy-feely is the new physical.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grunff wrote:

Next time you have a dinner party and you are showing off your
induction hob to your friends just remember that you are using twice
the resources and producing twice as much pollution as me, with my gas
hob!

Woopee for you - must be nice to be /that/ self-righteous.

Well, induction hob owners are always bleating on about how efficient
they are. maybe they should be less self riteous, hmmmm?

How about doing a full systems analysis on your whole life? How
efficient is your house heating? Your car? Your food products? Really,
get over it.

Why? I don't go on about how my heating system is better than anyone
elses, do I?

What percentage of household energy (in the UK) is used for cooking?

No idea, that isn't the point.

You're not a gegraphy lecturer at a poly, are you? Sound like one.

No.

shokk