Old January 24th 09, 09:51 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - Marks on induction hob

Have had an induction hob for a few weeks and really pleased with it.
Tonight used a new frying pan - bought because it was compatible with
induction - and immediately the oil started smoking in two places. Moved it
off quickly but it seems to have marked the hob. The glossy glass surface
appears slightly roughened.

Manufacturers instructions for cleaning are just wipe with hot water but
this isn't shifting them. Any ideas? Thought about gently scraping with a
Stanley knife blade but don't want to make it worse.

I know this may be a bit OT but probably more knowledge on this group than
many others.

Old January 24th 09, 10:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Bald eagle wrote:
Have had an induction hob for a few weeks and really pleased with it.
Tonight used a new frying pan - bought because it was compatible with
induction - and immediately the oil started smoking in two places.
Moved it off quickly but it seems to have marked the hob. The glossy
glass surface appears slightly roughened.

Manufacturers instructions for cleaning are just wipe with hot water
but this isn't shifting them. Any ideas? Thought about gently
scraping with a Stanley knife blade but don't want to make it worse.

That works for me - new blade, gripped in a pair of pliers, slices away all
the crud easily.

Old January 24th 09, 11:07 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:
Bald eagle wrote:
Have had an induction hob for a few weeks and really pleased with it.
Tonight used a new frying pan - bought because it was compatible with
induction - and immediately the oil started smoking in two places.
Moved it off quickly but it seems to have marked the hob. The glossy
glass surface appears slightly roughened.

Manufacturers instructions for cleaning are just wipe with hot water
but this isn't shifting them. Any ideas? Thought about gently
scraping with a Stanley knife blade but don't want to make it worse.

That works for me - new blade, gripped in a pair of pliers, slices away all
the crud easily.

Also try some ceramic hob cleaner, hob brite paper towel and some elbow
grease.
Old January 25th 09, 12:05 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

"Bald eagle" wrote in message
Have had an induction hob for a few weeks and really pleased with it.
Tonight used a new frying pan - bought because it was compatible with
induction - and immediately the oil started smoking in two places. Moved
it off quickly but it seems to have marked the hob. The glossy glass
surface appears slightly roughened.

Manufacturers instructions for cleaning are just wipe with hot water but
this isn't shifting them. Any ideas? Thought about gently scraping with a
Stanley knife blade but don't want to make it worse.

I know this may be a bit OT but probably more knowledge on this group than
many others.

If mine, I would complain to the shop where I bought the hob, the surface
should be heat resistant.

Old January 25th 09, 12:29 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Jan, 21:51, "Bald eagle" wrote:

Manufacturers instructions for cleaning are just wipe with hot water but
this isn't shifting them. Any ideas? Thought about gently scraping with a
Stanley knife blade but don't want to make it worse.

Best thing I've found (glass halogen & ceramic, haven't tried
induction) is a metal bladed scraper sold by Partsmaster at a couple
of quid for two, maybe made/sold/approved by Creda themselves (AFAIR).
I bought it as a gimmick when ordering washing machine spares, but
it's just the job for this scraping. It's like a Stanley blade, only
thinner and more flexible, springy stainless steel with no sharp edge
other than a square, held in a little plastic gadget. You could make
your own with a bit of thin metal.

OTOH, the washing machine seal was cracked and Partsmaster are being
useless at refunding it. 8-(

Old January 25th 09, 03:11 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

Steve Walker wrote:

That works for me - new blade, gripped in a pair of pliers, slices away all
the crud easily.

Our induction hob was supplied with a cleaning tool which is essentially
a Stanley blade in a plastic holder.
Another vote for Hob Brite here as well

Lee
Old January 25th 09, 09:46 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:
Bald eagle wrote:
Have had an induction hob for a few weeks and really pleased with it.
Tonight used a new frying pan - bought because it was compatible with
induction - and immediately the oil started smoking in two places.
Moved it off quickly but it seems to have marked the hob. The glossy
glass surface appears slightly roughened.

Manufacturers instructions for cleaning are just wipe with hot water
but this isn't shifting them. Any ideas? Thought about gently
scraping with a Stanley knife blade but don't want to make it worse.

That works for me - new blade, gripped in a pair of pliers, slices
away all the crud easily.

Or the slightly more technical version :-)

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/30305/...ty-Scraper-Set

Designed for getting stuff off windows, work a treat.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Old January 25th 09, 11:06 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks everyone for replies - will try the Stanley blade very gently later.
Having had a chance to look more closely though I'm not sure that the marks
are actually on the hob. They seem to be under the glass, which is odd and
if I'm right will not be reversible. Will post what happens.

JC

Old January 25th 09, 12:37 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bald eagle" wrote in message
Have had an induction hob for a few weeks and really pleased with it.
Tonight used a new frying pan - bought because it was compatible with
induction - and immediately the oil started smoking in two places. Moved
it off quickly but it seems to have marked the hob. The glossy glass
surface appears slightly roughened.

Manufacturers instructions for cleaning are just wipe with hot water but
this isn't shifting them. Any ideas? Thought about gently scraping with a
Stanley knife blade but don't want to make it worse.

I know this may be a bit OT but probably more knowledge on this group than
many others.

I find 'Astonish' cleans anything like that.
You can buy it in Poundland type shops and Lakeland or online:
http://www.astonishcleanersweb.co.uk...products_id=49

From what I can make out it is mostly silica flour and soap/detergent. It
works well as I have been using it recently.

mark

Old January 25th 09, 01:37 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bald eagle" wrote in message
Thanks everyone for replies - will try the Stanley blade very gently
later. Having had a chance to look more closely though I'm not sure that
the marks are actually on the hob. They seem to be under the glass, which
is odd and if I'm right will not be reversible. Will post what happens.

JC

AFAIR, Homecare Hob Brite will clear marks which "appear to be under the
glass" - agree with earlier poster about the elbow grease

FWIW my halogen hob responds well on a day-to-day basis to glass wipes - 80
pack from Poundland