Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fridge knackered - repairable?

We have a bog standard larder fridge about 4 years old which is suddenly
not doing anything at all - it might as well be unplugged but for the
fact that the light is on! Otherwise, dead as doornail. Stat is
switched to maximum.

I'm guessing a faulty thermostat (= probably diy repairable) or
compressor (= new fridge time) - is that about right?

If so, any ideas how to distinguish these? Google ain't helping.

Thanks
--
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/04/2013 12:58, Lobster wrote:
We have a bog standard larder fridge about 4 years old which is suddenly
not doing anything at all - it might as well be unplugged but for the
fact that the light is on! Otherwise, dead as doornail. Stat is
switched to maximum.

I'm guessing a faulty thermostat (= probably diy repairable) or
compressor (= new fridge time) - is that about right?

If so, any ideas how to distinguish these? Google ain't helping.

Check with a neon screwdriver to see if live is reaching the compressor
motor. If it is then the motor has probably failed and if it isn't
provide a new path to power the motor to see if it will run (ie bridge
the thermostat output contacts). Remember mains voltage can be lethal.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
On 05/04/2013 12:58, Lobster wrote:
We have a bog standard larder fridge about 4 years old which is suddenly
not doing anything at all - it might as well be unplugged but for the
fact that the light is on! Otherwise, dead as doornail. Stat is
switched to maximum.

I'm guessing a faulty thermostat (= probably diy repairable) or
compressor (= new fridge time) - is that about right?

If so, any ideas how to distinguish these? Google ain't helping.

Check with a neon screwdriver to see if live is reaching the compressor
motor. If it is then the motor has probably failed and if it isn't provide
a new path to power the motor to see if it will run (ie bridge the
thermostat output contacts). Remember mains voltage can be lethal.

Yes.
It is almost certainly the stat. Cheap online and easy to fit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, April 5, 2013 12:58:34 PM UTC+1, Lobster wrote:

We have a bog standard larder fridge about 4 years old which is suddenly
not doing anything at all - it might as well be unplugged but for the
fact that the light is on! Otherwise, dead as doornail. Stat is
switched to maximum.
I'm guessing a faulty thermostat (= probably diy repairable) or
compressor (= new fridge time) - is that about right?
If so, any ideas how to distinguish these? Google ain't helping.
Thanks

Thermostat, compressor, overheat cutout or wiring fault. A multimeter will soon show you which. All diy fixable but the compressor.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Friday, April 5, 2013 12:58:34 PM UTC+1, Lobster wrote:

We have a bog standard larder fridge about 4 years old which is suddenly
not doing anything at all - it might as well be unplugged but for the
fact that the light is on! Otherwise, dead as doornail. Stat is
switched to maximum.
I'm guessing a faulty thermostat (= probably diy repairable) or
compressor (= new fridge time) - is that about right?
If so, any ideas how to distinguish these? Google ain't helping.
Thanks

Thermostat, compressor, overheat cutout or wiring fault. A multimeter will
soon show you which. All diy fixable but the compressor.

The relay is unlikely as is a wiring fault.
I forgot to mention that if the compressor is "clicking" it is ****ed.
It's the stat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Martin Brown
writes
On 05/04/2013 12:58, Lobster wrote:
We have a bog standard larder fridge about 4 years old which is suddenly
not doing anything at all - it might as well be unplugged but for the
fact that the light is on! Otherwise, dead as doornail. Stat is
switched to maximum.

I'm guessing a faulty thermostat (= probably diy repairable) or
compressor (= new fridge time) - is that about right?

If so, any ideas how to distinguish these? Google ain't helping.

Check with a neon screwdriver

Never check anything with a neon screwdriver

to see if live is reaching the compressor motor. If it is then the
motor has probably failed and if it isn't provide a new path to power
the motor to see if it will run (ie bridge the thermostat output
contacts). Remember mains voltage can be lethal.

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well if the motor is running but nothing is getting hort or cold its either
leaked or its the pump itself. if its no running then one needs to bypass
the thermostat and see if it runs and starts cooling if yes its the
thermostat, if no then its the motor.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Lobster" wrote in message
We have a bog standard larder fridge about 4 years old which is suddenly
not doing anything at all - it might as well be unplugged but for the fact
that the light is on! Otherwise, dead as doornail. Stat is switched to
maximum.

I'm guessing a faulty thermostat (= probably diy repairable) or compressor
(= new fridge time) - is that about right?

If so, any ideas how to distinguish these? Google ain't helping.

Thanks
--
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/04/2013 22:51, geoff wrote:
In message , Martin Brown
writes
On 05/04/2013 12:58, Lobster wrote:
We have a bog standard larder fridge about 4 years old which is suddenly
not doing anything at all - it might as well be unplugged but for the
fact that the light is on! Otherwise, dead as doornail. Stat is
switched to maximum.

I'm guessing a faulty thermostat (= probably diy repairable) or
compressor (= new fridge time) - is that about right?

If so, any ideas how to distinguish these? Google ain't helping.

Check with a neon screwdriver

Never check anything with a neon screwdriver

You reasoning such as it is being?

to see if live is reaching the compressor motor. If it is then the
motor has probably failed and if it isn't provide a new path to power
the motor to see if it will run (ie bridge the thermostat output
contacts). Remember mains voltage can be lethal.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/04/2013 12:58, Lobster wrote:
We have a bog standard larder fridge about 4 years old which is suddenly
not doing anything at all - it might as well be unplugged but for the
fact that the light is on! Otherwise, dead as doornail. Stat is
switched to maximum.

I'm guessing a faulty thermostat (= probably diy repairable) or
compressor (= new fridge time) - is that about right?

If so, any ideas how to distinguish these? Google ain't helping.

Thanks

Check the motor starter and cut-out assembly. Usually a single unit
plugged into the side of the motor.
If there is power getting to the starter but the motor does not start
and then there is a click or a ping from the cut out then it's either
the motor or the starter.
Motors (if they have an external starter) have 3 connections, a common,
a run winding and a start winding. Power is applied to the run winding
and to the starter winding via the starter for a second of so to get the
motor running.
It then runs using the run winding.
Check that the starter is not open circuit (replaceable), check that the
start or run winding are not open circuit (new compressor).
Have a look here
http://fridgeman.wordpress.com/2008/...t-circuits-ii/

Dave
By the way - take care - mains voltage can kill.

--
Blow my nose to email me
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, April 6, 2013 8:38:31 AM UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:
On 05/04/2013 22:51, geoff wrote:

Never check anything with a neon screwdriver

You reasoning such as it is being?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...on_screwdriver

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Martin Brown
writes
On 05/04/2013 22:51, geoff wrote:
In message , Martin Brown
writes
On 05/04/2013 12:58, Lobster wrote:
We have a bog standard larder fridge about 4 years old which is suddenly
not doing anything at all - it might as well be unplugged but for the
fact that the light is on! Otherwise, dead as doornail. Stat is
switched to maximum.

I'm guessing a faulty thermostat (= probably diy repairable) or
compressor (= new fridge time) - is that about right?

If so, any ideas how to distinguish these? Google ain't helping.

Check with a neon screwdriver

Never check anything with a neon screwdriver

You reasoning such as it is being?

1/ I don't like them
2/ they are unreliable and ambiguous [1]
3/ the can be dangerous if damaged

[1] - "ooh look I've got live on the live and neutral"

to see if live is reaching the compressor motor. If it is then the
motor has probably failed and if it isn't provide a new path to power
the motor to see if it will run (ie bridge the thermostat output
contacts). Remember mains voltage can be lethal.

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/04/2013 12:34, geoff wrote:
In message , Martin Brown
writes
[...]

They are safe enough if you know what you are doing.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Martin Brown
writes
[...]

People who know what they are doing DON'T use neon screwdrivers

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, April 6, 2013 5:17:37 PM UTC+1, Lobster wrote:

Thanks all - I went through the above and evidently it's the stat which
is indeed faulty.
I've just ordered another one, but pretty damned expensive I thought -
£38 delivered (despite much googling!); and that's for a cheapo fridge
costing IIRC about £120. Decided it was *just* worth repairing as it's
only 3-4 years old. No doubt I'll regret that decision...!

Cleaning the contacts didn't fix it?

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/04/2013 17:18, geoff wrote:
In message , Martin Brown
writes
[...]

Perhaps some of us can discriminate between the various the levels of
light output according to potential.

Saying "People who know what they are doing DON'T use neon screwdrivers"
simply isn't true.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Fredxx wrote:
[...]

People who know what they are doing are not allowed to use neon
screwdrivers.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, April 7, 2013 2:53:24 PM UTC+1, Fredxx wrote:
On 06/04/2013 17:18, geoff wrote:

People who know what they are doing DON'T use neon screwdrivers

Perhaps some of us can discriminate between the various the levels of
light output according to potential.

Saying "People who know what they are doing DON'T use neon screwdrivers"
simply isn't true.

Light output level is irrelevant to the safety problems of neon screwedrivers. They produce false positives and false negatives, hence are not a safe tool and thus not legal to use on live circuits for work purposes.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Fredxx
writes
[...]

FFS - that life you never had - why not go and hunt it down before it's
too late

--
geoff