Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Weather...

En el artículo , Lobster davidlobsterpot601@hot
mail.com escribió:
On 22/03/2013 01:45, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21885817

So what happened to this ****ing global warming then?

It got rebranded as 'climate change'....

https://twitter.com/MichaelBratley/s.../photo/1/large

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 14:40:59 +0000 (GMT) Dave Plowman (News) wrote :
Last summer, which sort of escaped the UK, was unusually hot in other
parts of Europe.

Earlier this month we had nine consecutive 32C+ days, the first time
this has ever been recorded.

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

I thought that the present cold snap is precisely the sort of thing
forecast by the climate change camp? It's global warming, but that does
not mean this country will be warmer.

Since the climate change camp have on occasion forecasted almost
everything possible, that's no great surprise.

Saying 'God is fickle, anything could happen' is not science.

It's a situation we haven't been in, so forecasting is hard. That
doesn't mean that it's okay to stumble blindly on towards a calamity for
our children and grandchildren.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/03/13 09:13, Richard wrote:
"Gib Bogle" wrote in message ...

On 22/03/2013 2:45 p.m., Mike Tomlinson wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21885817

So what happened to this ****ing global warming then?

If it makes you feel any better, we've been having a fantastic summer
in NZ. Almost three months of uninterrupted sun. Not good for the
farmers though.

If you want to feel really smug, you can have our drought from last year.

the one that flooded 100,000 homes?

Yes, you can have that one.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/03/13 10:26, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 23:08:58 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

the only problem is the arctic has in fact frozen right back up to
approximately normal and looks like it may well be MORE ice than last
year.

Just ice area or area *and* thickness? It's ice volume that is important
not simple ice area.

Oh no, you must be wrong, because all the scare stories were not about
THICKNES, just AREA.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
GB wrote:
On 23/03/2013 01:02, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artÃ*culo , Arfa Daily
escribió:

What global warming ... ? ;-)

Exactly :-) Glad someone 'got it'.

I thought that the present cold snap is precisely the sort of thing
forecast by the climate change camp? It's global warming, but that does
not mean this country will be warmer.

But the UK - or rather just certain parts of it - is the centre of the
universe for some.

It probably passed them by that some parts of the UK didn't have the same
high rainfall last year as most.

tell me which part did not.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/03/2013 12:28, GB wrote:

I thought that the present cold snap is precisely the sort of thing
forecast by the climate change camp? It's global warming, but that does
not mean this country will be warmer.

Since the climate change camp have on occasion forecasted almost
everything possible, that's no great surprise.

Saying 'God is fickle, anything could happen' is not science.

It's a situation we haven't been in, so forecasting is hard. That
doesn't mean that it's okay to stumble blindly on towards a calamity for
our children and grandchildren.

We aren't stumbling blindly, there has been plenty of warnings about how
a low carbon economy will cause pain and suffering for our sons and
daughters.
Now the evidence is emerging that the pain and suffering is for nothing
other than lining green pockets.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/03/13 12:12, Tony Bryer wrote:
On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 14:40:59 +0000 (GMT) Dave Plowman (News) wrote :
Last summer, which sort of escaped the UK, was unusually hot in other
parts of Europe.

Earlier this month we had nine consecutive 32C+ days, the first time
this has ever been recorded.

who is 'we'? the Australian aborigines?

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/03/13 12:28, GB wrote:

I thought that the present cold snap is precisely the sort of thing
forecast by the climate change camp? It's global warming, but that does
not mean this country will be warmer.

Since the climate change camp have on occasion forecasted almost
everything possible, that's no great surprise.

Saying 'God is fickle, anything could happen' is not science.

It's a situation we haven't been in, so forecasting is hard. That
doesn't mean that it's okay to stumble blindly on towards a calamity for
our children and grandchildren.

Well exactly. That's why we shouldn't put up any more windmills and
solar panels.

Not that I have any children. Or one's I know about, anyway..

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/03/2013 08:23, Bob Martin wrote:
in 1214593 20130322 191138 "dennis@home" wrote:
On 22/03/2013 10:38, Bob Martin wrote:
in 1214371 20130322 091719 Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el art�culo , Bob Martin
escribi�:
in 1214320 20130322 014520 Mike Tomlinson wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21885817

So what happened to this ****ing global warming then?

Are you serious?

Think that was a *whoosh* ...

Nope, reasonable question to someone who *appears* to base his skepticism
on one day's weather in a very tiny part of the globe.
You wouldn't be the first - many septics seem to be guilty of it.

While you base your views on second hand erroneous data and duff
computer models which are slowly being proved wrong as those of us that
understand science have been saying for years.

Another internet expert.

Are you denying it?

You just recycle the same claptrap that all the other alarmists do, you
don't have a clue what is actually happening and don't even have a basic
understanding of the models you claim are correct.

When they produce sensible results they can be trusted, currently they
aren't worth running.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/03/13 13:47, dennis@home wrote:
On 23/03/2013 12:28, GB wrote:

I thought that the present cold snap is precisely the sort of thing
forecast by the climate change camp? It's global warming, but that
does
not mean this country will be warmer.

Since the climate change camp have on occasion forecasted almost
everything possible, that's no great surprise.

Saying 'God is fickle, anything could happen' is not science.

It's a situation we haven't been in, so forecasting is hard. That
doesn't mean that it's okay to stumble blindly on towards a calamity for
our children and grandchildren.

We aren't stumbling blindly, there has been plenty of warnings about how
a low carbon economy will cause pain and suffering for our sons and
daughters.
Now the evidence is emerging that the pain and suffering is for nothing
other than lining green pockets.

correction: SPIVS* pockets, like harry.

The only green thing is the people who are naive enough to buy the crap.

*Solar Panel Installation Virtual Salesman
--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/03/2013 12:12, Tony Bryer wrote:
On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 14:40:59 +0000 (GMT) Dave Plowman (News) wrote :
Last summer, which sort of escaped the UK, was unusually hot in other
parts of Europe.

Earlier this month we had nine consecutive 32C+ days, the first time
this has ever been recorded.

So what?
Just how long have the records been kept?
Its amusing when they say "recorded" when the records have been kept for
a whole decade or two.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

correction: SPIVS* pockets, like harry.

The only green thing is the people who are naive enough to buy the crap.

*Solar Panel Installation Virtual Salesman

And if someone buys them as an income investment rather than because
they are "green"?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
It probably passed them by that some parts of the UK didn't have the
same high rainfall last year as most.

tell me which part did not.

Much of the west of Scotland including the isles.

--
*Why is the word abbreviation so long? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
On 23/03/2013 01:02, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , Arfa Daily
escribió:

What global warming ... ? ;-)

Exactly :-) Glad someone 'got it'.

I thought that the present cold snap is precisely the sort of thing
forecast by the climate change camp? It's global warming, but that does
not mean this country will be warmer.

"It's LOGIC Jim, but not as we know it" ... ;-)

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message
eb.com...
On 23/03/2013 12:28, GB wrote:

I thought that the present cold snap is precisely the sort of thing
forecast by the climate change camp? It's global warming, but that
does
not mean this country will be warmer.

Since the climate change camp have on occasion forecasted almost
everything possible, that's no great surprise.

Saying 'God is fickle, anything could happen' is not science.

It's a situation we haven't been in, so forecasting is hard. That
doesn't mean that it's okay to stumble blindly on towards a calamity for
our children and grandchildren.

We aren't stumbling blindly, there has been plenty of warnings about how a
low carbon economy will cause pain and suffering for our sons and
daughters.
Now the evidence is emerging that the pain and suffering is for nothing
other than lining green pockets.

Sons and daughters ? Bloody Hell Dennis, it's causing me pain and suffering
now ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/03/13 16:28, dennis@home wrote:

correction: SPIVS* pockets, like harry.

The only green thing is the people who are naive enough to buy the crap.

*Solar Panel Installation Virtual Salesman

And if someone buys them as an income investment rather than because
they are "green"?

I hope a government comes along and rescinds all the FIT payments.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/03/13 12:12, Tony Bryer wrote:
On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 14:40:59 +0000 (GMT) Dave Plowman (News) wrote :
Last summer, which sort of escaped the UK, was unusually hot in other
parts of Europe.

Earlier this month we had nine consecutive 32C+ days, the first time
this has ever been recorded.

who is 'we'? the Australian aborigines?

Him and my son who is out there ATM. Given a choice of that, or the
weather over here, my son prefers the 32+.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/03/13 08:22, Bob Martin wrote:
in 1214550 20130322 161032 Jethro_uk wrote:

But it's a linguistic sleight of hand. I have no problem accepting that
climate can change - it's done it many times within recorded history. I
even have no problem accepting that climate *is* changing. However I
don't really think I have ever seen any proof that it's changing
*because* of human activities. And I am heartily sick of (mainly) non-
scientists who try and say "if you don't believe in climate change, you
haven't understood the facts" - that is foot-through-TV rage-inducing.

"(mainly) non-scientists"
Really??

yes. Or at least non engineers, mathematicians and physicists, those being
the people who understand mathematical modelling most.

Now listen to what a *real* physicist has to say..

snip the actual piece - but do all read it

I particularly liked Dr Paul Bain in the link at the bottom, responding to
what this guy had to say. It was a wonderful piece of verbal squirming,
where he was trying to justify his and his cronies' use of the word 'denier'
to describe skeptics, claiming that it was a sort of 'in the club of
warmists' term that was never intended to be offensive to skeptics, because
they were never intended to read it ... Priceless !

Arfa

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2012/06/2...f-denier-term/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 23/03/13 12:12, Tony Bryer wrote:
On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 14:40:59 +0000 (GMT) Dave Plowman (News) wrote :
Last summer, which sort of escaped the UK, was unusually hot in other
parts of Europe.

Earlier this month we had nine consecutive 32C+ days, the first time
this has ever been recorded.

who is 'we'? the Australian aborigines?

Who in any case have the lowest IQ of any racial group in the world...

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 1214748 20130323 093818 "Richard" wrote:
"Bob Martin" wrote in message ...

in 1214593 20130322 191138 "dennis@home"
While you base your views on second hand erroneous data and duff
computer models which are slowly being proved wrong as those of us that
understand science have been saying for years.

Another internet expert.

And you're better informed, how?

I didn't say I was, but his statement was just an arrogant assumption,
(which is still at odds with the views of most climate scientists).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/03/13 03:32, Bill Wright wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 23/03/13 12:12, Tony Bryer wrote:
On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 14:40:59 +0000 (GMT) Dave Plowman (News) wrote :
Last summer, which sort of escaped the UK, was unusually hot in other
parts of Europe.

Earlier this month we had nine consecutive 32C+ days, the first time
this has ever been recorded.

who is 'we'? the Australian aborigines?

Who in any case have the lowest IQ of any racial group in the world...

Bill

What? Lower than Essex girl?

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Martin" wrote in message ...

in 1214593 20130322 191138 "dennis@home"
While you base your views on second hand erroneous data and duff
computer models which are slowly being proved wrong as those of us that
understand science have been saying for years.

Another internet expert.

And you're better informed, how?

I didn't say I was, but his statement was just an arrogant assumption,
(which is still at odds with the views of most climate scientists

....whose funding depends on them being firmly 'on message' with respect
to 'climate change'.. ).

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 23/03/13 12:12, Tony Bryer wrote:
On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 14:40:59 +0000 (GMT) Dave Plowman (News) wrote :
Last summer, which sort of escaped the UK, was unusually hot in other
parts of Europe.

Earlier this month we had nine consecutive 32C+ days, the first time
this has ever been recorded.

who is 'we'? the Australian aborigines?

Who in any case have the lowest IQ of any racial group in the world...

You never ever miss a chance, do you Bill?

--
*Just give me chocolate and nobody gets hurt

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/03/2013 12:28, GB wrote:

I thought that the present cold snap is precisely the sort of thing
forecast by the climate change camp? It's global warming, but that does
not mean this country will be warmer.

Since the climate change camp have on occasion forecasted almost
everything possible, that's no great surprise.

Saying 'God is fickle, anything could happen' is not science.

It's a situation we haven't been in, so forecasting is hard. That
doesn't mean that it's okay to stumble blindly on towards a calamity for
our children and grandchildren.

Indeed. We should be spending money on preparing for the consequences of
climate change, not on schemes that nobody can provide any hard evidence
to show will affect it in any way.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
"Bob Martin" wrote in message ...

in 1214593 20130322 191138 "dennis@home"
While you base your views on second hand erroneous data and duff
computer models which are slowly being proved wrong as those of us that
understand science have been saying for years.

Another internet expert.

And you're better informed, how?

I didn't say I was, but his statement was just an arrogant assumption,
(which is still at odds with the views of most climate scientists).

And climate 'scientists' are special, how?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
"Bob Martin" wrote in message ...

in 1214593 20130322 191138 "dennis@home"

While you base your views on second hand erroneous data and duff
computer models which are slowly being proved wrong as those of us
that
understand science have been saying for years.

Another internet expert.

And you're better informed, how?

I didn't say I was, but his statement was just an arrogant assumption,
(which is still at odds with the views of most climate scientists).

And climate 'scientists' are special, how?

that's easy! a climate scientist is a third rate meteorologist who has
been given a grant to prove that profitable wind turbines are necessary

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
"Bob Martin" wrote in message ...

in 1214593 20130322 191138 "dennis@home"
While you base your views on second hand erroneous data and duff
computer models which are slowly being proved wrong as those of us that
understand science have been saying for years.

Another internet expert.

And you're better informed, how?

I didn't say I was, but his statement was just an arrogant assumption,
(which is still at odds with the views of most climate scientists).

And climate 'scientists' are special, how?

Because they seem to be allowed to call themselves "scientists" when many
actually aren't ?

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
"Bob Martin" wrote in message ...

in 1214593 20130322 191138 "dennis@home"

While you base your views on second hand erroneous data and duff
computer models which are slowly being proved wrong as those of us
that
understand science have been saying for years.

Another internet expert.

And you're better informed, how?

I didn't say I was, but his statement was just an arrogant assumption,
(which is still at odds with the views of most climate scientists).

And climate 'scientists' are special, how?

that's easy! a climate scientist is a third rate meteorologist who has
been given a grant to prove that profitable wind turbines are necessary

I wanted to become one. I didn't mind having the brain removed. Tt was the
thought of having it inserted in my arse which put me off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message ...

"Richard" wrote in message
.. .

wrote:
"Bob Martin" wrote in message ...

in 1214593 20130322 191138 "dennis@home"

While you base your views on second hand erroneous data and duff
computer models which are slowly being proved wrong as those of us
that
understand science have been saying for years.

Another internet expert.

And you're better informed, how?

I didn't say I was, but his statement was just an arrogant assumption,
(which is still at odds with the views of most climate scientists).

And climate 'scientists' are special, how?

Because they seem to be allowed to call themselves "scientists" when many
actually aren't ?

Arfa

Yep. Just because I discovered that my cat will scratch me if I mess it
around too much does *not* make me a cat scientist.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/03/13 09:31, Arfa Daily wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message

Yep. Just because I discovered that my cat will scratch me if I mess
it around too much does *not* make me a cat scientist.

:-)

I see it more like 'just because I discovered that pulling back on te
stick on my aeroplane makes it climb higher, it doesn't mean that the
more I pull pack the higher it will get.

I.e. to the naive, everything looks like a simple linear equation. In
fact at any given point can be closely approximated by a simple linear
equation representing a tangential straight line.

However, the world is neither simple, not linear, and economists and
climate scientists would do well to learn that.

GEM: the Great Extrapolation Mistake.

"hey, if I put half a tonne on this wooden beam it deflects an inch, so
if I put 50 tonnes on it it will deflect 100 inches right?"

Arfa

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard" wrote in message

Yep. Just because I discovered that my cat will scratch me if I
mess it around too much does *not* make me a cat scientist.

:-)

I see it more like 'just because I discovered that pulling back on te
stick on my aeroplane makes it climb higher, it doesn't mean that
the more I pull pack the higher it will get.

I.e. to the naive, everything looks like a simple linear equation. In
fact at any given point can be closely approximated by a simple
linear equation representing a tangential straight line.

However, the world is neither simple, not linear, and economists and
climate scientists would do well to learn that.

GEM: the Great Extrapolation Mistake.

"hey, if I put half a tonne on this wooden beam it deflects an inch,
so if I put 50 tonnes on it it will deflect 100 inches right?"

I'm not sure if the analogy is quite on the same scale. Extrapolation
is generally fine for small % of change, where the model has been
previously verified with real data.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/03/13 12:30, Fredxx wrote:
Extrapolation
is generally fine for small % of change, where the model has been
previously verified with real data.

As in:

I have moved an inch closer to the cliff edge, and have gained an inch
in altitude..

I have moved another inch closer to the cliff edge, and have gained
another inch in altitude..

I have moved another inch closer ...Oops. Im dead !

???

In short extrapolation is not fine for a small % of change even when the
model has been verified with real data IF THE UNDERLYING REALITY
EXHIBITS SEVER NON-LINEARITY.

The problem is that linear maths is easy to do and works jolly well. For
a lot of cases.

Applying it to non linear situations or ones that exhibit chaotic
behaviours is more dangerous than not having a theory at all.

And yet that is what climate change alarmists and economists are doing
all the time.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, March 22, 2013 1:45:20 AM UTC, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21885817 So what happened to this ****ing global warming then? -- (\_/) (='.'=) (")_(")

It is melting the Greenland ice and pushing the jet stream south over the sahara, allowing a blocking high to form over Scandinavia which is pulling the old air down from the north. This could last for months which will mean we get a very hot (30C+) continental summer - buy your aircon units now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/03/13 14:24, zaax wrote:
On Friday, March 22, 2013 1:45:20 AM UTC, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21885817 So what happened to this ****ing global warming then? -- (\_/) (='.'=) (")_(")

It is melting the Greenland ice and pushing the jet stream south over the sahara, allowing a blocking high to form over Scandinavia which is pulling the old air down from the north. This could last for months which will mean we get a very hot (30C+) continental summer - buy your aircon units now.

and following that a very cold winter which will freeze the arctic up
all over again.

Howver we had a stuck jetstream last year. and it didnt end up south,
just stuck.

America got months of drought, we got months of rain.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Always take your weather with you... polygonum UK diy 4 November 30th 12 05:35 PM
Weather report Metspitzer Home Repair 13 November 28th 12 07:49 PM
O.T. rotten Weather sal[_2_] Woodworking 5 June 22nd 12 11:08 PM
Download Weather Toolbar - Instant weather reports, forecasts, and make me friend Electronics Repair 0 February 17th 08 11:44 AM
Icy weather. Weatherlawyer UK diy 8 December 30th 05 03:20 PM