Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default OT - Importing a Northern Irish car into England

Adrian wrote:
On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 23:34:13 +0000, ARW wrote:

Then contact http://www.dvlni.gov.uk in the first instance.

Will do.

As somebody else has pointed out, it may well be a Nor'n Iron plate
on a UK car - so just run it past http://www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk
first to see if it's UK-reg or NI-reg. I've just run an Ulster mate's
genuine, current Nor'n Iron plate through, and it comes back not
known. But if that plate's been transferred to Swansea, it'll come
back with the details.

Will do. Thanks.

And as you are interested I have additional info.

My brother did phone me today to say that he has found a "tax disc" under
the passenger seat. It is not a proper tax disc. The disc is white and in
black writing it says "Vehicle Test Certificate NI , the reg number and exp
2011"

I'll try and get a photo if it helps. We are not in a hurry.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 15, 4:58*pm, "ARW" wrote:
Adrian wrote:
[...]

hopefully there'll be no traces of semtex, old fertiliser (cough)
bags, or used balaclavas in it......

is that you gerry?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2013 16:36, ARW wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:
Why should it matter I thought NI was part of the UK.

They are not part of Great Britain.

What's that got to do with it?

Isn't it like saying the Republic of Ireland is part of the British Isles?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Jim K wrote:
On Mar 15, 4:58 pm, "ARW" wrote:
Adrian wrote:
[...]

Well if anyone asks questions a bloke called Patrick brought it into my
brothers garage and never came back for it or paid for the work my brother
did on it.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 15 March 2013 16:36:54 UTC, wrote:

Then how did you get the keys?

They were with the car.

Well that in itself is highly suspicious. Has anyone thought of reporting the car's presence to the police, just to determine its status?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

Then how did you get the keys?

They were with the car.

Well that in itself is highly suspicious. Has anyone thought of
reporting the car's presence to the police, just to determine its
status?

I haven't and I am not going to - but that's because I want a free car.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2013 17:41, ARW wrote:
Arty Effem wrote:

Well that in itself is highly suspicious. Has anyone thought of
reporting the car's presence to the police, just to determine its
status?

I haven't and I am not going to - but that's because I want a free car.

You might get a free stay in one of HM's establishments if it has been
used for anything odd.

If you report it to the police, and no-one claims it, in six months it's
yours (if I have my facts right). Since you are happy to store it for Mr
Plod for the 6 months they'll be glad you called.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2013 20:59, Andy Champ wrote:
On 15/03/2013 17:41, ARW wrote:
Arty Effem wrote:

Well that in itself is highly suspicious. Has anyone thought of
reporting the car's presence to the police, just to determine its
status?

I haven't and I am not going to - but that's because I want a free car.

You might get a free stay in one of HM's establishments if it has been
used for anything odd.

If you report it to the police, and no-one claims it, in six months it's
yours (if I have my facts right). Since you are happy to store it for Mr
Plod for the 6 months they'll be glad you called.

I thought it was 3 months BICBW?

I thought it was an easy matter to get the owner's details as long as
you have good cause. In this case ARW could be enquiring who the
registered keeper is regarding "storage costs" on behalf of the
warehouse owner!?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2013 17:41, ARW wrote:
Arty Effem wrote:

Well that in itself is highly suspicious. Has anyone thought of
reporting the car's presence to the police, just to determine its
status?

I haven't and I am not going to - but that's because I want a free car..

You might get a free stay in one of HM's establishments if it has been
used for anything odd.

If you report it to the police, and no-one claims it, in six months it's
yours (if I have my facts right). Since you are happy to store it for Mr
Plod for the 6 months they'll be glad you called.

I thought it was 3 months BICBW?

I thought it was an easy matter to get the owner's details as long as
you have good cause. *In this case ARW could be enquiring who the
registered keeper is regarding "storage costs" on behalf of the
warehouse owner!?

is it just me that imagines the storage costs might equal if not
exceed the value of the paddy wagon? ;)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2013 09:25, Brian Gaff wrote:
Why should it matter I thought NI was part of the UK.

Brian

DVLA NI and GB were definitely separate (don't know if they still are).
A collegue of my wife was caught drink driving in Manchester and was
banned. It did not affect his NI licence and he could still drive
whenever he went home to Belfast to visit his family.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2013 17:41, ARW wrote:
Arty Effem wrote:

[...]

That's my point, but if at least you have tacit agreement regarding the
disposal then no criminal act will have taken place.

Adam could then have a more legitimate title to the car, or at least one
that can't be challenged in the criminal courts.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

SteveW wrote:

A collegue of my wife was caught drink driving in Manchester and was
banned. It did not affect his NI licence and he could still drive
whenever he went home to Belfast to visit his family.

I suspect this has changed, as it was announced some time ago
that a joint scheme has been setup for driving offences
in the UK and the Irish Republic.
I think one of the main reasons for this was to catch NI drivers
who drive like lunatics in the Republic, and used to be immune.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net