Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default OT - Importing a Northern Irish car into England

I have no paperwork at all. All I have is a car with an NI number plate and
the keys.

Any ideas?

All the DVLA website says is "contact the DVLA"

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:
I have no paperwork at all. All I have is a car with an NI number plate and
the keys.

Any ideas?

All the DVLA website says is "contact the DVLA"

Have you nicked it or has someone given it you to settle a debt or what?
Or should I mind my own business?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/03/2013 18:14, ARW wrote:
I have no paperwork at all. All I have is a car with an NI number plate and
the keys.

Any ideas?

All the DVLA website says is "contact the DVLA"

All I know is that they have a very different way of handling MoTs there.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

polygonum wrote:
On 14/03/2013 18:14, ARW wrote:
I have no paperwork at all. All I have is a car with an NI number
plate and the keys.

Any ideas?

All the DVLA website says is "contact the DVLA"

All I know is that they have a very different way of handling MoTs
there.

I am assuming that it does not have an MOT of any sort.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 18:47:24 +0000, ARW wrote:

I have no paperwork at all. All I have is a car with an NI number
plate and the keys.

Any ideas?

All the DVLA website says is "contact the DVLA"

Have you nicked it or has someone given it you to settle a debt or
what? Or should I mind my own business?

I found it.

Park it somewhere WELL away from your house for a few days.

Then contact http://www.dvlni.gov.uk in the first instance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" writes:

Bill Wright wrote:
ARW wrote:
I have no paperwork at all. All I have is a car with an NI number
plate and the keys.

Any ideas?

All the DVLA website says is "contact the DVLA"

Have you nicked it or has someone given it you to settle a debt or
what? Or should I mind my own business?

I found it.

I don't know if there is anything special about cars, but I'd imagine
the DVLA would refuse to register it in your name unless you have legal
ownershop. Things that can be traced back to a previous owner aren't
immediately yours even if you find them [1]. Of course, the previous
owner may no longer exist or even want the item in which case I think
the police have to formally assign you ownership.

[1] http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8129534.stm

--
Swish - Easy SFTP for Windows Explorer (http://www.swish-sftp.org)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Adrian wrote:
On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 18:47:24 +0000, ARW wrote:

I have no paperwork at all. All I have is a car with an NI
number plate and the keys.

Any ideas?

All the DVLA website says is "contact the DVLA"

Have you nicked it or has someone given it you to settle a debt or
what? Or should I mind my own business?

I found it.

Park it somewhere WELL away from your house for a few days.

Then contact http://www.dvlni.gov.uk in the first instance.

It's been parked up in a disused warehouse for at least the last two years
(at a guess). It's still there. And it did start with the help of some jump
leads.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 14/03/2013 19:02, ARW wrote:

It's been parked up in a disused warehouse for at least the last two years
(at a guess). It's still there. And it did start with the help of some jump
leads.

At a guess, you are Woody Allen, and the car is a VW Beetle?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctin21yrfcA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 18:58:55 +0000, Alexander Lamaison wrote:

I don't know if there is anything special about cars, but I'd imagine
the DVLA would refuse to register it in your name unless you have legal
ownershop.

And how do you propose to prove that?

The nearest I can think of for anything other than a house (with Land
Registry registration being proof) is for...

cars...

where a logbook (which specifically breaks the link to "ownership") would
normally count.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

GB wrote:
On 14/03/2013 19:02, ARW wrote:

It's been parked up in a disused warehouse for at least the last
two years (at a guess). It's still there. And it did start with the
help of some jump leads.

At a guess, you are Woody Allen, and the car is a VW Beetle?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctin21yrfcA

The sad news is that it is a VW Golf and not a VW Beetle. The new warehouse
owner says I can have the Golf.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 14, 6:14 pm, "ARW" wrote:
I have no paperwork at all. All I have is a car with an NI number plate and
the keys.

Any ideas?

All the DVLA website says is "contact the DVLA"

--
Adam

IIUC it may no longer technically be a NI "registered" car ?

for some chavvy reason lots of NI numbers end up here transferred onto
"mainland" cars

e.g.
BAZ1234
YAZ699
DAZ6666
etc

has it got a tax disc of any sort or age?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Alexander Lamaison wrote:
I don't know if there is anything special about cars, but I'd imagine
the DVLA would refuse to register it in your name unless you have legal
ownershop. Things that can be traced back to a previous owner aren't
immediately yours even if you find them [1]. Of course, the previous
owner may no longer exist or even want the item in which case I think
the police have to formally assign you ownership.

Think you'll find they will change the registration to your name quite
easily. Their main purpose appears to be collecting the VED.

--
*El nino made me do it

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian writes:

On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 18:58:55 +0000, Alexander Lamaison wrote:

I don't know if there is anything special about cars, but I'd imagine
the DVLA would refuse to register it in your name unless you have legal
ownershop.

And how do you propose to prove that?

You get the police involved. They look up the owner. He's dead or no
longer wants the vehicle. The police assign ownership to you.

Alex

--
Swish - Easy SFTP for Windows Explorer (http://www.swish-sftp.org)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Alexander Lamaison wrote:
I don't know if there is anything special about cars, but I'd imagine
the DVLA would refuse to register it in your name unless you have legal
ownershop. Things that can be traced back to a previous owner aren't
immediately yours even if you find them [1]. Of course, the previous
owner may no longer exist or even want the item in which case I think
the police have to formally assign you ownership.

Think you'll find they will change the registration to your name quite
easily. Their main purpose appears to be collecting the VED.

What happens re uncollected tax if no-one did a SORN?

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 14, 7:34 pm, Alexander Lamaison wrote:
Adrian writes:
On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 18:58:55 +0000, Alexander Lamaison wrote:

I don't know if there is anything special about cars, but I'd imagine
the DVLA would refuse to register it in your name unless you have legal
ownershop.

And how do you propose to prove that?

You get the police involved. They look up the owner. He's dead or no
longer wants the vehicle. The police assign ownership to you.

oh dear.. could be a dead ender then....

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 14, 7:34 pm, polygonum wrote:
On 14/03/2013 19:31, Dave Plowman (News) wrote: In article ,
Alexander Lamaison wrote:
I don't know if there is anything special about cars, but I'd imagine
the DVLA would refuse to register it in your name unless you have legal
ownershop. Things that can be traced back to a previous owner aren't
immediately yours even if you find them [1]. Of course, the previous
owner may no longer exist or even want the item in which case I think
the police have to formally assign you ownership.

Think you'll find they will change the registration to your name quite
easily. Their main purpose appears to be collecting the VED.

What happens re uncollected tax if no-one did a SORN?

ISTR the notification of change of owner will be the 'trigger' to
commence "SORN or tax" notifications

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

All I have is a car with an NI number plate and the keys.

Buyer beware?

I seem to remember something along the lines that a quick export
to/re-import from NI is claimed to be a way to "cleanse" a car's history
from the DVLA computers, maybe ask in the bikers group which is I think
is where I heard this?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/03/2013 19:14, ARW wrote:
GB wrote:
On 14/03/2013 19:02, ARW wrote:

It's been parked up in a disused warehouse for at least the last
two years (at a guess). It's still there. And it did start with
the help of some jump leads.

At a guess, you are Woody Allen, and the car is a VW Beetle?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctin21yrfcA

The sad news is that it is a VW Golf and not a VW Beetle. The new
warehouse owner says I can have the Golf.

If he puts that in writing, then that would be good enough for me.

As another poster has intimated. A common ploy is to say to their
insurance company their car has been stolen, but in reality store it
away for a few years.

I'm not sure if an HPI check would provide any help in this instance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARW
writes
GB wrote:
On 14/03/2013 19:02, ARW wrote:

It's been parked up in a disused warehouse for at least the last
two years (at a guess). It's still there. And it did start with the
help of some jump leads.

At a guess, you are Woody Allen, and the car is a VW Beetle?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctin21yrfcA

The sad news is that it is a VW Golf and not a VW Beetle. The new warehouse
owner says I can have the Golf.

I've got one of those; taking up space in a barn.

GTi mk3 no MOT and the abs warning light is on otherwise OK.

Dead NiCads in the alarm shut down the engine management. It has taken
me 2 years for the tuits to arrive:-(

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian writes:

On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 19:34:02 +0000, Alexander Lamaison wrote:

I don't know if there is anything special about cars, but I'd imagine
the DVLA would refuse to register it in your name unless you have
legal ownershop.

And how do you propose to prove that?

You get the police involved. They look up the owner.

With whom?

The DVLA(NI) :P Asuming the car has a number plate it will have a
registered owner.

--
Swish - Easy SFTP for Windows Explorer (http://www.swish-sftp.org)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 21:45:26 +0000, Alexander Lamaison wrote:

I don't know if there is anything special about cars, but I'd
imagine the DVLA would refuse to register it in your name unless you
have legal ownershop.

And how do you propose to prove that?

You get the police involved. They look up the owner.

With whom?

The DVLA(NI) :P Asuming the car has a number plate it will have a
registered owner.

Apart from the fact that it will have a registered _keeper_, not owner,
and DVLA are quite distinct that that conveys nothing about the legal
ownership, you seem to have just suggested that DVLA won't register the
vehicle unless you get the police involved as some kind of an
intermediary between DVLA and... DVLA.

Not really thought that through, have you?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian writes:

On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 21:45:26 +0000, Alexander Lamaison wrote:

I don't know if there is anything special about cars, but I'd
imagine the DVLA would refuse to register it in your name unless you
have legal ownershop.

And how do you propose to prove that?

You get the police involved. They look up the owner.

With whom?

The DVLA(NI) :P Asuming the car has a number plate it will have a
registered owner.

Apart from the fact that it will have a registered _keeper_, not owner,
and DVLA are quite distinct that that conveys nothing about the legal
ownership, you seem to have just suggested that DVLA won't register the
vehicle unless you get the police involved as some kind of an
intermediary between DVLA and... DVLA.

Strangely enough, yes. The DVLA hold the vehicle records but it's the
police's responsibility to resolve issues of ownership for 'found'
property.

Maybe the DVLA have special procedures in place to resolve this kind of
situation without the round-trip, in which case good on them, but I
doubt it.

Alex

--
Swish - Easy SFTP for Windows Explorer (http://www.swish-sftp.org)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/03/2013 22:49, Alexander Lamaison wrote:

Strangely enough, yes. The DVLA hold the vehicle records but it's the
police's responsibility to resolve issues of ownership for 'found'
property.

Maybe the DVLA have special procedures in place to resolve this kind of
situation without the round-trip, in which case good on them, but I
doubt it.

There was a thread yesterday on uk.legal.moderated about found property.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Adrian wrote:
On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 18:47:24 +0000, ARW wrote:

I have no paperwork at all. All I have is a car with an NI
number plate and the keys.

Any ideas?

All the DVLA website says is "contact the DVLA"

Have you nicked it or has someone given it you to settle a debt or
what? Or should I mind my own business?

I found it.

Park it somewhere WELL away from your house for a few days.

Then contact http://www.dvlni.gov.uk in the first instance.

Will do.

I am going for the finders keepers. The worst thing that can happen is that
it turns out the car is stolen/used in a murder etc. But what the Hell - I
did not pinch it or kill anyone. And the car was not there when the
warehouse was cleared out 2 years ago by the balliffs when the guy who owned
it went under through no fault of his own (ie nothing criminal he was owed
money by another company or two that had gone bust).

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , ARW
writes
GB wrote:
On 14/03/2013 19:02, ARW wrote:

It's been parked up in a disused warehouse for at least the last
two years (at a guess). It's still there. And it did start with
the help of some jump leads.

At a guess, you are Woody Allen, and the car is a VW Beetle?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctin21yrfcA

The sad news is that it is a VW Golf and not a VW Beetle. The new
warehouse owner says I can have the Golf.

I've got one of those; taking up space in a barn.

GTi mk3 no MOT and the abs warning light is on otherwise OK.

Dead NiCads in the alarm shut down the engine management. It has taken
me 2 years for the tuits to arrive:-(

My brother is a VW mechanic:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote ...

ARW wrote:

All I have is a car with an NI number plate and the keys.

Buyer beware?

I seem to remember something along the lines that a quick export
to/re-import from NI is claimed to be a way to "cleanse" a car's history
from the DVLA computers, maybe ask in the bikers group which is I think
is where I heard this?

The two vehicle licencing centres used to be separate. They are not
now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 14 March 2013 18:47:24 UTC, wrote:

I found it.

Then how did you get the keys?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 19:31:57 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Think you'll find they will change the registration to your name quite
easily. Their main purpose appears to be collecting the VED.

Indeed. I had a couple of abandoned cars in the past and simply
registered them to me, telling the DVLA the facts.
They didn't give a toss and sent me the new logbook with my name in
it.
Of course, if the PO had turned up, I'd have taken off the money I'd
spent and given him it back, but it never happened.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 23:34:13 +0000, ARW wrote:

Then contact http://www.dvlni.gov.uk in the first instance.

Will do.

As somebody else has pointed out, it may well be a Nor'n Iron plate on a
UK car - so just run it past http://www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk first to
see if it's UK-reg or NI-reg. I've just run an Ulster mate's genuine,
current Nor'n Iron plate through, and it comes back not known. But if
that plate's been transferred to Swansea, it'll come back with the
details.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You found it? I'm sure you need to do a search for unresolved finance,
ownership etc, hence you contact the dvla I'd say. What a question, I'd have
thought it was obvious.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"ARW" wrote in message
Bill Wright wrote:
ARW wrote:
I have no paperwork at all. All I have is a car with an NI number
plate and the keys.

Any ideas?

All the DVLA website says is "contact the DVLA"

Have you nicked it or has someone given it you to settle a debt or
what? Or should I mind my own business?

I found it.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Really? Obviously he has no way to prove he is the owner of it then, he just
wants to move the problem onto you, as he has no idea and wants it gone in
case its hot.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"ARW" wrote in message
GB wrote:
On 14/03/2013 19:02, ARW wrote:

It's been parked up in a disused warehouse for at least the last
two years (at a guess). It's still there. And it did start with the
help of some jump leads.

At a guess, you are Woody Allen, and the car is a VW Beetle?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctin21yrfcA

The sad news is that it is a VW Golf and not a VW Beetle. The new
warehouse owner says I can have the Golf.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARW
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , ARW
writes
GB wrote:
On 14/03/2013 19:02, ARW wrote:

It's been parked up in a disused warehouse for at least the last
two years (at a guess). It's still there. And it did start with
the help of some jump leads.

At a guess, you are Woody Allen, and the car is a VW Beetle?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctin21yrfcA

The sad news is that it is a VW Golf and not a VW Beetle. The new
warehouse owner says I can have the Golf.

I've got one of those; taking up space in a barn.

GTi mk3 no MOT and the abs warning light is on otherwise OK.

Dead NiCads in the alarm shut down the engine management. It has taken
me 2 years for the tuits to arrive:-(

My brother is a VW mechanic:-)

Perhaps he could put the two together? This one is registered at
Swansea:-)

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 14/03/13 22:49, Alexander Lamaison wrote:
Apart from the fact that it will have a registered_keeper_, not owner,
and DVLA are quite distinct that that conveys nothing about the legal
ownership, you seem to have just suggested that DVLA won't register the
vehicle unless you get the police involved as some kind of an
intermediary between DVLA and... DVLA.

Strangely enough, yes. The DVLA hold the vehicle records but it's the
police's responsibility to resolve issues of ownership for 'found'
property.

Maybe the DVLA have special procedures in place to resolve this kind of
situation without the round-trip, in which case good on them, but I
doubt it.

The point is the DVLA don't care about ownership, only who is the 'keeper'.

--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, March 15, 2013 12:23:54 PM UTC, djc wrote:
On 14/03/13 22:49, Alexander Lamaison wrote:

Quite possibly nicked, or maybe a cloned car wearing the plates from a scrapped car (so not apparently nicked from the registration number). DVLA should be contacted.

Can you not report it to the police as found property? ISTR that the finder becomes the owner after 3 or 6 months.

I read somewhere about a motorbike that was abandoned in a vacated rented flat. The landlord assumed ownership, spent money on bits and was using it.. At that point, the "owner" decided it was still his, reported it stolen, recovered it AND the landlord was convisted of TWOCing or some such.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Brian Gaff wrote:
Why should it matter I thought NI was part of the UK.

They are not part of Great Britain.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Arty Effem wrote:
On Thursday, 14 March 2013 18:47:24 UTC,
wrote:

I found it.

Then how did you get the keys?

They were with the car.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote:

Think you'll find they will change the registration to your name
quite easily. Their main purpose appears to be collecting the VED.

Indeed. I had a couple of abandoned cars in the past and simply
registered them to me, telling the DVLA the facts.
They didn't give a toss and sent me the new logbook with my name in
it.

I have done it before when working at rented houses when the last tenant has
left the country ie gone back to Poland. But they were cars registered in
England and a couple of times I actually had the logbook.

--
Adam