Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hanging (heavy) radiators to stud plasterboard wall

As subject.

Going to replace 2 x (400mm x 600mm), single radiators, with a (800 x
600) and a (600 x 600), double ones.

The new radiators are substantially heavier than the existing ones, so
I want to make sure that they are fixed properly. Also, the kids may
occasionally lean on them...

I already checked, and one bracket of each of the new radiators will
screw directly into the wooden upright stud. The other two brackets (one
for each radiator) are not aligned with a stud unfortunately.

I want to avoid going down the paths of either reinforcing the wall with
12mm/18mm ply (will be very visible), or alternatively cut the
plasterboard out between studs & fix a timber across where brackets are
being fixed.

With the above in mind, which fixings shall I use?

- Plasterboard rowplugs
- Wall Anchors (as in
http://www.screwfix.com/c/screws-nai...ors/cat840114).
If so, which one?
- Spring Toggle

Should I also use something like No More Nails between the bracket and
the wall for added support?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

- Wall Anchors (as inhttp://www.screwfix.com/c/screws-nails-fixings/plasterboard-anchors/c...).
If so, which one?
- Spring Toggle

Should I also use something like No More Nails between the bracket and
the wall for added support?

cut out the plasterboard carefully. Fix reinforcing between studs so
you can put the plasterboard back flush with the existing. Tape and
fill. It's a pain but worth doing !!

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/03/2013 07:13, JoeJoe wrote:
As subject.

Going to replace 2 x (400mm x 600mm), single radiators, with a (800 x
600) and a (600 x 600), double ones.

The new radiators are substantially heavier than the existing ones, so I
want to make sure that they are fixed properly. Also, the kids may
occasionally lean on them...

I already checked, and one bracket of each of the new radiators will
screw directly into the wooden upright stud. The other two brackets (one
for each radiator) are not aligned with a stud unfortunately.

I want to avoid going down the paths of either reinforcing the wall with
12mm/18mm ply (will be very visible), or alternatively cut the
plasterboard out between studs & fix a timber across where brackets are
being fixed.

With the above in mind, which fixings shall I use?

- Plasterboard rowplugs

no

- Wall Anchors (as in
http://www.screwfix.com/c/screws-nai...ors/cat840114).

yes

If so, which one?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-5-...Fpcj!888453653

- Spring Toggle

no

Should I also use something like No More Nails between the bracket and
the wall for added support?

Won't hurt...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/03/2013 07:13, JoeJoe wrote:
As subject.

Going to replace 2 x (400mm x 600mm), single radiators, with a (800 x
600) and a (600 x 600), double ones.

The new radiators are substantially heavier than the existing ones, so I
want to make sure that they are fixed properly. Also, the kids may
occasionally lean on them...

I already checked, and one bracket of each of the new radiators will
screw directly into the wooden upright stud. The other two brackets (one
for each radiator) are not aligned with a stud unfortunately.

I wonder why rad manufacturers don't space their brackets at the same
centres as wall studs?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I wonder why rad manufacturers don't space their brackets at the same
centres as wall studs?

Because not all wall studs are at the same centres? Indeed, whilst there
might be a majority at 400 or 600 mm - a lot might be the acceptably
close 18" or 24". But lots are slightly different because it made more
sense to put the verticals in evenly spread across a space rather than
conforming to a standard. You've got a one metre gap - where would you
put the middle stud? 600/400? or 500/500?

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/03/2013 07:13, JoeJoe wrote:
As subject.

Going to replace 2 x (400mm x 600mm), single radiators, with a (800 x
600) and a (600 x 600), double ones.

The new radiators are substantially heavier than the existing ones, so I
want to make sure that they are fixed properly. Also, the kids may
occasionally lean on them...

I already checked, and one bracket of each of the new radiators will
screw directly into the wooden upright stud. The other two brackets (one
for each radiator) are not aligned with a stud unfortunately.

I wonder why rad manufacturers don't space their brackets at the same
centres as wall studs?

Was thinking the same thing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe wrote in
o.uk:

On 11/03/2013 07:13, JoeJoe wrote:
As subject.

Going to replace 2 x (400mm x 600mm), single radiators, with a (800
x 600) and a (600 x 600), double ones.

The new radiators are substantially heavier than the existing ones,
so I want to make sure that they are fixed properly. Also, the kids
may occasionally lean on them...

I already checked, and one bracket of each of the new radiators will
screw directly into the wooden upright stud. The other two brackets
(one for each radiator) are not aligned with a stud unfortunately.

I wonder why rad manufacturers don't space their brackets at the same
centres as wall studs?

Was thinking the same thing.

It may not suit the room layout to slavishly have to fit the radiator where
the studs happen to be.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Mar, 07:13, JoeJoe wrote:
[...]

Radiators fitted tomorrow (in addition to other heating related jobs),
and with existing radiators still plumbed it is simply not going to
happened unfortunately. I need something that can be done in a few minutes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe wrote in
o.uk:

On 11 Mar, 07:13, JoeJoe wrote:
[...]

My bathroom radiator has been on a plasterboard wall (not even studded -
just a sandwich arrangement) for 25 years. The brackets have been fixed
with those expanding anchors. I remove the radiator and the brackets for
painting - never a sign of trouble. If OP has concerns then I second the
idea of using some No More Nails behind the bracket. Teach the family to
treat the radiators with some respect and not let kids play about
pulling on them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 11, 8:55 am, polygonum wrote:

I wonder why rad manufacturers don't space their brackets at the same
centres as wall studs?

Because not all wall studs are at the same centres? Indeed, whilst there
might be a majority at 400 or 600 mm - a lot might be the acceptably
close 18" or 24". But lots are slightly different because it made more
sense to put the verticals in evenly spread across a space rather than
conforming to a standard. You've got a one metre gap - where would you
put the middle stud? 600/400? or 500/500?

depends how wide the board is....

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 11, 11:23 am, DerbyBorn wrote:

My bathroom radiator has been on a plasterboard wall (not even studded -
just a sandwich arrangement) for 25 years. The brackets have been fixed
with those expanding anchors. I remove the radiator and the brackets for
painting - never a sign of trouble. If OP has concerns then I second the
idea of using some No More Nails behind the bracket.

Can't imagine what difference trying to glue a metal bracket to some
painted? or bare plaster
skim will do?

Teach the family to
treat the radiators with some respect and not let kids play about
pulling on them.

electrify them? ;))

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/03/2013 14:05, Jim K wrote:
On Mar 11, 8:55 am, polygonum wrote:

I wonder why rad manufacturers don't space their brackets at the same
centres as wall studs?

Because not all wall studs are at the same centres? Indeed, whilst there
might be a majority at 400 or 600 mm - a lot might be the acceptably
close 18" or 24". But lots are slightly different because it made more
sense to put the verticals in evenly spread across a space rather than
conforming to a standard. You've got a one metre gap - where would you
put the middle stud? 600/400? or 500/500?

depends how wide the board is....

Jim K

I was rather assuming 1220. It would be perverse to choose 900 for a 1
metre stud wall - but if using up off-cuts or whatever...

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, March 11, 2013 3:17:00 PM UTC+1, polygonum wrote:
On 11/03/2013 14:05, Jim K wrote:

On Mar 11, 8:55 am, polygonum wrote:

I wonder why rad manufacturers don't space their brackets at the same

centres as wall studs?

Because not all wall studs are at the same centres? Indeed, whilst there

might be a majority at 400 or 600 mm - a lot might be the acceptably

close 18" or 24". But lots are slightly different because it made more

sense to put the verticals in evenly spread across a space rather than

conforming to a standard. You've got a one metre gap - where would you

put the middle stud? 600/400? or 500/500?

depends how wide the board is....

Jim K

I was rather assuming 1220. It would be perverse to choose 900 for a 1

metre stud wall - but if using up off-cuts or whatever...

or more usually the fact that (even) you can't always physically get 8 X4 foot pboards into every room...presumably that's why 6 X3ft pboards are made...

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/03/2013 14:05, Jim K wrote:

[...]

I sort-of included those issues with "whatever..." - but if you were
putting up a 1 metre stud wall with 900mmm plasterboard, where would you
put the "middle" stud?

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/03/2013 14:05, Jim K wrote:

[...]

I kind of ignore weasel words.

putting up a 1 metre stud wall with 900mmm plasterboard, where would you put the "middle" stud?

0, 450, 900, 1000 & 1 cut board
vs
0, 500,1000 & 2 cut boards

(yers plus the bits above 1800)

take your pick

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Mar, 07:13, JoeJoe wrote:

[...]

Then use flexible tails, so its no disaster when they drop off!

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Can't imagine what difference trying to glue a metal bracket to some
painted? or bare plaster
skim will do?

Teach the family to
treat the radiators with some respect and not let kids play about
pulling on them.

electrify them? ;))

Jim K

I believe it will create a very good seating and resist some of the slight
movements that eventually lead to the fixings working loose.
As for preventing the kids swinging on them - I find just explaing once
that the radiator isn't strong enough and if it was pulled off it would
make a really big mess.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 12, 11:13 pm, DerbyBorn wrote:
Can't imagine what difference trying to glue a metal bracket to some
painted? or bare plaster
skim will do?

Teach the family to
treat the radiators with some respect and not let kids play about
pulling on them.

electrify them? ;))

Jim K

I believe it will create a very good seating and resist some of the slight
movements that eventually lead to the fixings working loose.

more likely you taking the brackets off to decorate results in the
loose fixings?

As for preventing the kids swinging on them - I find just explaing once
that the radiator isn't strong enough and if it was pulled off it would
make a really big mess.

mmm & that's supposed to DIScourage them?! ;)

Jim K