Posted to rec.woodworking
SammyBar

Default Hanging heavy cabinets from a brick wall...

Hi all,

I'm making my own kitchen cabinets from particleboard (5/8''). I'm designing
the one that will hold a big microwave oven. It will be a diagonal corner
wall cabinet. The oven is very heavy so I'm thinking on hardening the basic
design of a particleboard box joined by screws (butt joins) by putting some
solid wood rails on the cabinet floor to avoid the panels from bending. But
I'm also concerned about how to safely hang the cabinet from the wall (brick
wall). Can you point me to assembling tips on cabinetry and how to hang wall
cabinets?
Any hint is welcomed

Thanks in advance
Sammy

Posted to rec.woodworking
damian penney

SammyBar wrote:
Hi all,

I'm making my own kitchen cabinets from particleboard (5/8''). I'm designing
the one that will hold a big microwave oven. It will be a diagonal corner
wall cabinet. The oven is very heavy so I'm thinking on hardening the basic
design of a particleboard box joined by screws (butt joins) by putting some
solid wood rails on the cabinet floor to avoid the panels from bending. But
I'm also concerned about how to safely hang the cabinet from the wall (brick
wall). Can you point me to assembling tips on cabinetry and how to hang wall
cabinets?
Any hint is welcomed

Thanks in advance
Sammy

You could hang them by way of a french cleat which is a board ripped in
half with a 45 degree cut, one half is attached the wall with tapcons,
the other attached to your cab. and the 45s lock together. Should be
plenty strong enough.

Posted to rec.woodworking
RayV

I hung a cabinet made out of OSB in a corner that came out about 2'
from the corner on each side. Not quite as heavy as particleboard but
I had a 32" TV on it with most of the weight in the front or on the
diagonal. Used french cleats screwed to the studs, worked great.

Yeah I know, OSB for a cabinet, what a slouch!, sanded it and painted
it black and it looked fine. It was temporary until I could finish the
built-in made from birch plywood an poplar (doors are all I have left
to do).

Anyway, the french cleats held the weight with no problem.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CyBrShRk

I agree with the french cleat method.

Window replacement in structural brick wall weeroona Home Repair 2 August 1st 05 03:36 AM
Recycling a brick wall Lobster UK diy 12 March 26th 05 09:17 AM
How to hang cabinets on a curved wall? Ken Miller Woodworking 1 August 21st 04 08:52 PM
making hole in wall of brick house j j Home Repair 3 November 12th 03 03:09 AM
Building an internal wall - brick or stud? steve UK diy 6 July 24th 03 09:40 AM