Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default I've finally found the answer ! tool rolls !

For years I've been rummaging in the bottom of boxes, then not tidying up at the end of the day because its so much hassle to get all the stuff out again, and suffering the ire of SWMBO !
I've finally realised the answer. Tool Rolls. Not just one for the screwdrivers etc, but multiple tool rolls.
Easy to find the stuff, easy to put away !

This is at present only theory but I'm convinced its the answer.
I'll even have some variation on the theme for drill bits.
And I can imagine a big one with tubes of sealant in and a sealant gun.
I reckon about 10 tool rolls covering the basics, possibly with some duplication, such as small pliers in the electrical category.

Anyway, for now I've got to get the boxes back into the shed before we have visitors at the weekend !
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2013 12:43, sm_jamieson wrote:
For years I've been rummaging in the bottom of boxes, then not tidying up at the end of the day because its so much hassle to get all the stuff out again, and suffering the ire of SWMBO !
I've finally realised the answer. Tool Rolls. Not just one for the screwdrivers etc, but multiple tool rolls.
Easy to find the stuff, easy to put away !

This is at present only theory but I'm convinced its the answer.
I'll even have some variation on the theme for drill bits.
And I can imagine a big one with tubes of sealant in and a sealant gun.
I reckon about 10 tool rolls covering the basics, possibly with some duplication, such as small pliers in the electrical category.

Anyway, for now I've got to get the boxes back into the shed before we have visitors at the weekend !
Simon.

But have you found a decent source? My partner has a small roll which
stays with her drill. Cheap Erbauer set of its with some of our own
additions such as Bosch multipurpose bits - from Screwfix. Now I want
several such small bit and fiddly thing rolls but never seem to be able
to find them - at a sensible price!

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2/19/2013 7:51 AM, polygonum wrote:
[...]

This _is_ uk.d-i-y, isn't it? Buy suitable materials, and sit down at a
sewing machine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2013 13:16, S Viemeister wrote:
[...]

I used sail canvas, but that was a bit heavy for a domestic sewing
machine and had to be hand stitched.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2/19/2013 8:44 AM, Nightjar wrote:
On 19/02/2013 13:16, S Viemeister wrote:
On 2/19/2013 7:51 AM, polygonum wrote:

But have you found a decent source? My partner has a small roll which
stays with her drill. Cheap Erbauer set of its with some of our own
additions such as Bosch multipurpose bits - from Screwfix. Now I want
several such small bit and fiddly thing rolls but never seem to be able
to find them - at a sensible price!

This _is_ uk.d-i-y, isn't it? Buy suitable materials, and sit down at a
sewing machine.

I used sail canvas, but that was a bit heavy for a domestic sewing
machine and had to be hand stitched.

My main machine will even handle leather without complaint, but yes,
many/most domestic machines will have difficulty with sailcloth, denim,
or leather.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 19, 2:36*pm, S Viemeister wrote:
On 2/19/2013 8:44 AM, Nightjar wrote:

On 19/02/2013 13:16, S Viemeister wrote:
On 2/19/2013 7:51 AM, polygonum wrote:
But have you found a decent source? My partner has a small roll which
stays with her drill. Cheap Erbauer set of its with some of our own
additions such as Bosch multipurpose bits - from Screwfix. Now I want
several such small bit and fiddly thing rolls but never seem to be able
to find them - at a sensible price!

This _is_ uk.d-i-y, isn't it? Buy suitable materials, and sit down at a
sewing machine.

I used sail canvas, but that was a bit heavy for a domestic sewing
machine and had to be hand stitched.

My main machine will even handle leather without complaint, but yes,
many/most domestic machines will have difficulty with sailcloth, denim,
or leather.

My mum's old Singer never had a problem. Even coped with human thumb
on one occasion. I believe different needles were required.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, February 19, 2013 12:51:24 PM UTC, polygonum wrote:

But have you found a decent source? My partner has a small roll which

stays with her drill. Cheap Erbauer set of its with some of our own

additions such as Bosch multipurpose bits - from Screwfix. Now I want

several such small bit and fiddly thing rolls but never seem to be able

to find them - at a sensible price!

I haven't even started looking yet.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
polygonum wrote:

But have you found a decent source? My partner has a small roll which
stays with her drill. Cheap Erbauer set of its with some of our own
additions such as Bosch multipurpose bits - from Screwfix. Now I want
several such small bit and fiddly thing rolls but never seem to be able
to find them - at a sensible price!

Moulded plastic ones seem to tear easily. One stitched from a strong cloth
would be better - but cost a lot more.

--
*I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she left me before we met *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 12:51:24 +0000, polygonum
wrote:

But have you found a decent source? My partner has a small roll which
stays with her drill. Cheap Erbauer set of its with some of our own
additions such as Bosch multipurpose bits - from Screwfix. Now I want
several such small bit and fiddly thing rolls but never seem to be able
to find them - at a sensible price!

Army tool rolls from surplus shops have provided me with useful tool
storage on various motorcycles in the past.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

But have you found a decent source? My partner has a small roll which

stays with her drill. Cheap Erbauer set of its with some of our own

additions such as Bosch multipurpose bits - from Screwfix. Now I want

several such small bit and fiddly thing rolls but never seem to be able

to find them - at a sensible price!

Army tool rolls from surplus shops have provided me with useful tool

storage on various motorcycles in the past.

Does the army have any surplus any more ?
The local surplus store near me has gone now.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 01:23:08 -0800 (PST), sm_jamieson wrote:

Does the army have any surplus any more ?

Yes, but the small back street stores have gone. The military now tend to
dispose of stuff through just handfull of places. Anchor Supplies springs
to mind but there are others. Their web site isn't as "interesting" as it
used to be and looks as if they are flogging stuff other than ex-mil now.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Army tool rolls from surplus shops have provided me with useful tool

storage on various motorcycles in the past.

Does the army have any surplus any more ?

The surplus action seems to have moved to the Germans (long since a
supplier of parkas) the Swedes (greatcoats and hats), the Russians
(hats, silly, high, for ossifers) and the Chinese (knock-off copies).
Not so much British Army any more, as I don't think they can afford to
buy enough for much to be surplus until it's utterly worn-out and
shagged.
Ebay is a great online source for much of the above, but prices tend
to be higher than I was used to paying in the small local surplus
stores.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday 19 February 2013 12:43 sm_jamieson wrote in uk.d-i-y:

For years I've been rummaging in the bottom of boxes, then not tidying up
at the end of the day because its so much hassle to get all the stuff out
again, and suffering the ire of SWMBO ! I've finally realised the answer.
Tool Rolls. Not just one for the screwdrivers etc, but multiple tool
rolls. Easy to find the stuff, easy to put away !

This is at present only theory but I'm convinced its the answer.
I'll even have some variation on the theme for drill bits.
And I can imagine a big one with tubes of sealant in and a sealant gun.
I reckon about 10 tool rolls covering the basics, possibly with some
duplication, such as small pliers in the electrical category.

Anyway, for now I've got to get the boxes back into the shed before we
have visitors at the weekend ! Simon.

Rolykits were good for loose snall things - anyone remember those?

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
For years I've been rummaging in the bottom of boxes, then not tidying up at the end of the day because its so much hassle to get all the stuff out again, and suffering the ire of SWMBO !
I've finally realised the answer. Tool Rolls. Not just one for the screwdrivers etc, but multiple tool rolls.
Easy to find the stuff, easy to put away !

OK for stuff that can be rolled but what about big and awkward shaped
tools like drills, mole wrenches and such?

I've played around the same dilemma for many years, desparately trying
to get away from the "big box with everything in it".

The best I have found so far are cantilever type boxes but *not* the
standard metal ones you find hundreds of if you search. I have:-

http://www.toolbox.co.uk/stanley-fat...ver-4714-81619

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...2885_langId_-1

Both really open out well and allow access to everything. The Fat Max
one is even set up so that the tote tray in the top box sits in the
lid when open.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, February 19, 2013 3:57:11 PM UTC, wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:

For years I've been rummaging in the bottom of boxes, then not tidying up at the end of the day because its so much hassle to get all the stuff out again, and suffering the ire of SWMBO !

I've finally realised the answer. Tool Rolls. Not just one for the screwdrivers etc, but multiple tool rolls.

Easy to find the stuff, easy to put away !

OK for stuff that can be rolled but what about big and awkward shaped
tools like drills, mole wrenches and such?

I would think slightly larger tools get sort of "folded" rather than rolled,
but I guess some things would not be suitable.
So probably need a box or two along with the rolls.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013 04:43:43 -0800 (PST), sm_jamieson wrote:

For years I've been rummaging in the bottom of boxes, then not tidying up at the end of the day because its so much hassle to get all the stuff out again, and suffering the ire of SWMBO !
I've finally realised the answer. Tool Rolls. Not just one for the screwdrivers etc, but multiple tool rolls.
Easy to find the stuff, easy to put away !

This is at present only theory but I'm convinced its the answer.
I'll even have some variation on the theme for drill bits.
And I can imagine a big one with tubes of sealant in and a sealant gun.
I reckon about 10 tool rolls covering the basics, possibly with some duplication, such as small pliers in the electrical category.

Anyway, for now I've got to get the boxes back into the shed before we have visitors at the weekend !
Simon.

Used for decades - not in the house (plenty of room for 'storing' tools
where I leave 'em) but in my bikes. 3 bikes, 3 tool rolls, 3 sets of spare
tubes patches etc. Nice and easy to get out and put away and little chance
of being out withoout tools.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, February 19, 2013 12:43:43 PM UTC, sm_jamieson wrote:
For years I've been rummaging in the bottom of boxes, then not tidying up at the end of the day because its so much hassle to get all the stuff out again, and suffering the ire of SWMBO !

I've finally realised the answer. Tool Rolls. Not just one for the screwdrivers etc, but multiple tool rolls.

Easy to find the stuff, easy to put away !

This is at present only theory but I'm convinced its the answer.

I'll even have some variation on the theme for drill bits.

And I can imagine a big one with tubes of sealant in and a sealant gun.

I reckon about 10 tool rolls covering the basics, possibly with some duplication, such as small pliers in the electrical category.

Anyway, for now I've got to get the boxes back into the shed before we have visitors at the weekend !

Simon.

Why not a small toolbox for each regime. I have a small tool box for electrical stuff, another one for bicycle stuff and a slightly larger one for woodworking, another for fixings etc
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2013 12:43, sm_jamieson wrote:
For years I've been rummaging in the bottom of boxes, then not tidying up at the end of the day because its so much hassle to get all the stuff out again, and suffering the ire of SWMBO !
I've finally realised the answer. Tool Rolls. Not just one for the screwdrivers etc, but multiple tool rolls.
Easy to find the stuff, easy to put away !

This is at present only theory but I'm convinced its the answer.
I'll even have some variation on the theme for drill bits.
And I can imagine a big one with tubes of sealant in and a sealant gun.
I reckon about 10 tool rolls covering the basics, possibly with some duplication, such as small pliers in the electrical category.

Anyway, for now I've got to get the boxes back into the shed before we have visitors at the weekend !
Simon.

Constant problem for me, keeping tools organised in the van.

I have 4 basic tool boxes; plumbing, electrical, carpentry/general &
drill/fix. + Organisers for parts; plumbing, electrical, fixings,
screws, hardware etc.

Often used stuff is in one of those plastic tool tote thingys; tape,
level, screwdrivers etc - which is added to from the main toolboxes as
required. Saturday afternoons is spent tidying up!

In the shed I have storage boxes for tiling tools, laminate floor stuff,
wallpapering stuff, decking stuff, awning stuff - so if I get a specific
job I just grab that box & know everything is there.

found the answer Fran Home Repair 7 August 20th 07 03:06 AM
Finally An Answer To Slipping Water Bed Sheets flamestar Home Repair 3 November 12th 06 08:32 PM
Finally An Answer To Slipping Water Bed Sheets flamestar Home Ownership 0 November 12th 06 02:25 PM
Finally found one! John Anderson Woodworking 26 May 25th 05 11:52 PM
Finally - the answer to "Does any have plans for....." Rob V Woodworking 4 February 26th 05 08:47 PM