Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to remove moss from roof tiles?

My house has an East-facing ground floor bit that is part flat roof,
part pan tiles and quite near a big tree. The moss on it getting quite
bad so I'm tempted to get out on the flat bit to "down-slope" pressure
wash the tiles (not the flat roof).
Is there any other way and, once it's clear, is there any way to slow
the moss re-growth?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

unknown wrote in news:ao9g1bFl88nU1
@mid.individual.net:

My house has an East-facing ground floor bit that is part flat roof,
part pan tiles and quite near a big tree. The moss on it getting quite
bad so I'm tempted to get out on the flat bit to "down-slope" pressure
wash the tiles (not the flat roof).
Is there any other way and, once it's clear, is there any way to slow
the moss re-growth?

I believe that having a copper wire along the ridge eventually causes the
moss to die (Google it).

When in Germany recently I noticed that most houses had slip glazed roof
tiles. Different colours - quite attractive.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Having said that, I have the same issue on my patio, which is basically made
of several pieces of concrete. I'm a bit worried if I get it pressure washed
all the cement will kind of be torn up as well. I know it can occur with
old concrete with large stones in it.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
18.142...
unknown wrote in news:ao9g1bFl88nU1
@mid.individual.net:

My house has an East-facing ground floor bit that is part flat roof,
part pan tiles and quite near a big tree. The moss on it getting quite
bad so I'm tempted to get out on the flat bit to "down-slope" pressure
wash the tiles (not the flat roof).
Is there any other way and, once it's clear, is there any way to slow
the moss re-growth?

I believe that having a copper wire along the ridge eventually causes the
moss to die (Google it).

When in Germany recently I noticed that most houses had slip glazed roof
tiles. Different colours - quite attractive.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/02/2013 13:31, unknown wrote:
My house has an East-facing ground floor bit that is part flat roof,
part pan tiles and quite near a big tree. The moss on it getting quite
bad so I'm tempted to get out on the flat bit to "down-slope" pressure
wash the tiles (not the flat roof).
Is there any other way and, once it's clear, is there any way to slow
the moss re-growth?

What harm is it doing? Yes, it fills the gutters but on our garage they
get full of leaves anyway so ten minutes with a latter and trowel is
needed from time to time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian

Apparently if you throw the water from your washing up bowl on it this will
keep the concrete clean.
I have never tried this on our patio as the bloody dog will walk the water
into the house.
I have however chucked water from the mop bucket onto the drive and it does
seem to work.

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Having said that, I have the same issue on my patio, which is basically
made of several pieces of concrete. I'm a bit worried if I get it pressure
washed all the cement will kind of be torn up as well. I know it can
occur with old concrete with large stones in it.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
18.142...
unknown wrote in news:ao9g1bFl88nU1
@mid.individual.net:

My house has an East-facing ground floor bit that is part flat roof,
part pan tiles and quite near a big tree. The moss on it getting quite
bad so I'm tempted to get out on the flat bit to "down-slope" pressure
wash the tiles (not the flat roof).
Is there any other way and, once it's clear, is there any way to slow
the moss re-growth?

I believe that having a copper wire along the ridge eventually causes the
moss to die (Google it).

When in Germany recently I noticed that most houses had slip glazed roof
tiles. Different colours - quite attractive.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday 16 February 2013 13:31 unknown wrote in uk.d-i-y:

My house has an East-facing ground floor bit that is part flat roof,
part pan tiles and quite near a big tree. The moss on it getting quite
bad so I'm tempted to get out on the flat bit to "down-slope" pressure
wash the tiles (not the flat roof).
Is there any other way and, once it's clear, is there any way to slow
the moss re-growth?

Copper wire?

Reading this on the web? See: