Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default adding copper strip to ridge tiles to remove moss

I have a shallow pan tile roof with over one inch of moss on portions of
it. I recently discovered that the combination of moss and frost are
destroying some of the tiles. I have tossed on a pile of "weed and feed"
which seems to have been very effective at the killing the moss. But I
want to add a copper strip along the ridge of the roof to make sure the
moss does not come back. In the end I have decided to use a length of 8
mm small bore heating pipe which I will hammer flat.

My question relates to the best way of attaching the copper strip to the
ridge tiles. The options are to:-
drill and screw to the ridge tiles
drill and screw to the mortar between the ridge tiles
some kind of glue
something else I have not thought of

I suspect that the first two would prove unreliable and destructive once
moisture and frost get into the screw holes. Glue seems the only other
option but I generally have little luck with gluing things. What sort of
glue should I use. Also should I glue the copper directly to the tiles
or should I use a series or say plastic straps to hold the copper in
place (the straps would be glued).

Thanks in adance.... Fergus
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fergus McMenemie" wrote in message
k...
[...]

Waste of time, been there done that, didn't even get the T-shirt as they
say....

In my last house the non-sunny side of the roof suffer major moss problems,
leading to blocked gutters and even other plants moving in eg grass. I
placed
a "run" of 2.5mm copper core from some old electrical flex across the
uppermost tiles after reading somewhere about moss and lichen not liking
copper. Possibly made a slight difference on the tiles the wire ran across
but within a year or two moss was back across the whole of the roof.

I ended up just sweeping the piles of moss off every couple of years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doki wrote:

Yes, that will be a one-off effect, but you will have nicely
fertilised the tiles, which I imagine will promote the growth
of all sorts of things.

It'll be gone fairly sharpish. Eutrophicating the nearest water course...

It will hopefull hit my grass lawn on the way:-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel andrew@a17 wrote:

I have a shallow pan tile roof with over one inch of moss on portions of
it. I recently discovered that the combination of moss and frost are
destroying some of the tiles.

Not sure how you concluded the moss would have been involved.

Well a combination of frost and brids picking through the moss
for bugs etc occasionally results in chunks of it
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel andrew@a17 wrote:

In article ,
(Fergus McMenemie) writes:
I have a shallow pan tile roof with over one inch of moss on portions of
it. I recently discovered that the combination of moss and frost are
destroying some of the tiles.

Not sure how you concluded the moss would have been involved.

A combination of frost and birds picking through the moss
for bugs etc regularly results in chunks of it coming loose.
The underside of the chunks lying on the ground are lined with
little flakes of my roof tiles. I put two and two together...

I have tossed on a pile of "weed and feed"
which seems to have been very effective at the killing the moss. But I

Yes, that will be a one-off effect, but you will have nicely
fertilised the tiles, which I imagine will promote the growth
of all sorts of things.

Yes. I read that adding the copper will not clear a well established
bed of moss. The weed and feed is to clear the ground. A pity you dont
seem to be able to buy moss killer on its own.

Just strip the cores out of some T&E. You don't need anything
as large as a copper pipe. A length just stretched from end
to end each side of the ridge will probably do (but probably
far enough down not to be in contact with the ridge tile mortar
which will corrode it).

Sounds great. But how do I attach the copper and hold it in place.
Have you done this? Do you simply rely on a good fastening at each
end of the ridge and tension? The ridge is about 15m long.

Regards!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JohnW writes:
JohnW, in article MPG.21ecd20e95ff1d9c989869
@news.aaisp.net.uk, says...
You can - look for Ferrous Sulphate. Much cheaper...

PS - but be very careful using this - it can result in a
pretty permanent rust stain on concrete, etc. But when you
have this applied, re-infestation seems much reduced. :-) I've
a "rust" patch on the corner of a paved area that is still
clear of moss, relative to the rest, after over a year.

Products containing it also give dire warnings of making
sure you don't walk it indoors onto carpets of get it on
your cloths, where the stains will be permanent.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 10:11:25 -0000, JohnW
wrote after:
You can - look for Ferrous Sulphate. Much cheaper...

PS - but be very careful using this - it can result in a
pretty permanent rust stain on concrete, etc.

Would you be kind enough to let me know what proportion of dilution
works best please?
I got the ferrous sulphate but there were no instructions for using it
diluted with water.
e.g. level teaspoon or tablespoon with 1 pint of water (?) or
whatever today's metric equivalent is.

Thanks in advance, John.

How to remove ridge tiles? Steve UK diy 4 August 22nd 06 12:15 AM
Adding a ridge vent Bob M. Home Repair 3 June 14th 06 01:53 AM
Hip Tiles/Ridge Tiles - Cost to Replace? DiddyS UK diy 1 June 11th 06 07:25 PM
Moss on Roof tiles - ideas best way to get rid of it? [email protected] UK diy 15 May 9th 05 01:38 PM
Product to remove moss from patio and walls?? Tony UK diy 20 January 25th 05 11:15 AM