Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Treating MDF

"fred" wrote in message
On Wednesday, February 13, 2013 6:34:49 PM UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
fred wrote

Rod Speed wrote

Melamine film is paper thin.

This stuff isnt. Its not as thick as the much thicker laminex, but

is thicker than paper, about as thick as the thinnest card stock.

Well given that you had problems measuring the overall thickness of the

board (first 15mm?? Then 18mm ?? and now 16mm??

The original 15mm was a guess, not a measurement.

The second one was a guess too, just noticed it was more than 15.

I'm astonished you can measure the thickness of the laminate.

Even you should be able to measure the actual thickness of the whole
thing.

No way would it equal 1.5mm per face. Even if it was a natural

wood veneer it would not be 1.5mm thick, and the thickest, and

far from being very common, Formica is only 1.1mm thick. What

you have is 18mm board plain and simple.

I've just measured it again, and its actually 16mm.

See above

See above.

The o.p. mentioned spanning 1m with 15mm board

and claimed this would carry a load of dishes.

The OP never said anything about dishes,

Quote '

Most kitchen unit shelves are 15mm chip, and an unsupported span of

a metre is pretty normal. Mine are stacked with crockery, which is a
hell

'

That's not the OP, that's someone else.

I've no intention of arguing semantics

( http://www.thefreedictionary.com/semantics) with you.

You just did.

This now seems to have changed to 18mm

board spanning 580mm. Quite do-able.

Nope, its actually 16mm spanning 580mm.

When you're in a hole stop digging.

You're one in the hole with your claim about mine

being 18mm and that the OP said anything about dishes.

You're nit picking my dear boy.

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag, cheap girl.

reams of your puerile **** any 2 year old could leave for dead flushed
where it belongs

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2013 17:42, Andy Champ wrote:
On 13/02/2013 14:00, Mark Rogers wrote:
Alternatively I could switch to 25mm ply, without doubling anything
up, and look at the ply as being the "mortar" between the brick-shaped
"holes" - I need to try and mock this up

25mm ply _would_ carry car engines. The bottom of my boat is 12mm, and
feels solid as rock (though it does have interesting curves), but that's
mostly to get the weight up to the class limit. Most are 6mm, and people
run about on them.

Unlike chipboard it doesn't creep with age. (Don't know whether or not
MDF does)

Andy

Use railway sleepers and be done with it
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, February 14, 2013 10:26:33 AM UTC, stuart noble wrote:
Use railway sleepers and be done with it

:-)

--
Mark

Post fab treating Steve B[_13_] Metalworking 2 December 31st 12 10:04 AM
treating fence Rocket Ron UK diy 8 April 12th 07 06:17 PM
Treating Fence Paul C UK diy 1 March 16th 07 04:45 PM
Treating knots Lawrence Zarb UK diy 7 June 5th 06 10:24 PM
Treating a well JimmyDahGeek@DON'T_SPAM_ME_gmail.com Home Repair 7 June 4th 06 03:41 PM