Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Loft flooring - quick question

I am going to put in a bit more loft flooring, where the water tanks came
out after the combi boiler was installed.

Up until now I have cut the panels to fit half way across the joist so the
ends are supported.
This does, however, waste quite a bit of flooring.

So is it ok to put a cross piece between the joists (small noggin - not to
the full joist depth) to support the middle of the joint?

Standard tongue and groove loft panel packs.

Cheers

Dave R
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2013 13:41, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
I am going to put in a bit more loft flooring, where the water tanks came
out after the combi boiler was installed.

Up until now I have cut the panels to fit half way across the joist so the
ends are supported.
This does, however, waste quite a bit of flooring.

So is it ok to put a cross piece between the joists (small noggin - not to
the full joist depth) to support the middle of the joint?

Standard tongue and groove loft panel packs.

With the proper T&G boards you can get away without additional support -
especially if you glue the joints.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 13:54:26 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

On 10/02/2013 13:41, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
I am going to put in a bit more loft flooring, where the water tanks
came out after the combi boiler was installed.

Up until now I have cut the panels to fit half way across the joist so
the ends are supported.
This does, however, waste quite a bit of flooring.

So is it ok to put a cross piece between the joists (small noggin - not
to the full joist depth) to support the middle of the joint?

Standard tongue and groove loft panel packs.

With the proper T&G boards you can get away without additional support -
especially if you glue the joints.

OTOH if I glue the joints I can't get it up again easily - and I have had
to lift quite a bit of floor to enlarge the loft access and get at some of
the lighting circuits where lights have been moved.

However, assuming that you are talking about the short board packs instead
of the normal living space boards which are much larger then I shall give
it a go.

Cheers

Dave R
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 13:41:37 +0000, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

I am going to put in a bit more loft flooring, where the water tanks
came out after the combi boiler was installed.

Up until now I have cut the panels to fit half way across the joist so
the ends are supported.
This does, however, waste quite a bit of flooring.

So is it ok to put a cross piece between the joists (small noggin - not
to the full joist depth) to support the middle of the joint?

Standard tongue and groove loft panel packs.

Oh, and the insulation Wiki doesn't have an R value for chipboard :-)

I assume it sits between softwood and timber cladding.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 10, 1:41*pm, "David.WE.Roberts" wrote:
I am going to put in a bit more loft flooring, where the water tanks came
out after the combi boiler was installed.

Up until now I have cut the panels to fit half way across the joist so the
ends are supported.
This does, however, waste quite a bit of flooring.

So is it ok to put a cross piece between the joists (small noggin - not to
the full joist depth) to support the middle of the joint?

Standard tongue and groove loft panel packs.

Cheers

Dave R

If you buy the tongued and grooved flooring there is virtually no
waste at all. The joints are glued (PVA) and can be anywhere.

Another loft flooring question Duncan Di Saudelli UK diy 3 March 19th 10 06:56 PM
loft flooring Al M UK diy 1 January 9th 09 08:31 PM
Loft flooring 51 UK diy 34 November 20th 06 11:53 AM
Loft Flooring Question [email protected] UK diy 11 September 3rd 06 05:35 PM
Loft flooring Josh UK diy 7 January 28th 05 07:16 PM