Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Another loft flooring question

Hello

Which is best - the chipboard flooring packs from B&Q which are T&G and go
across the joists, or fitting thicker but non-T&G chipboard or OSB boards
*along* the joists?

The boards I am looking at are 22mm chipboard I think. These thicker boards
are the right width to run along the joists and my thoughts are that they'd
be easy toscrew down, and thus easy to lift up to get to ceiling roses etc.
They're about 1800mm long and are something like 400mm wide (joists are on
400mm centres).

The B&Q loft packs of course are designed to run orthogonally - I suppose
the T&G acts as a strengthener and I have done one large loft in such a
manner. But taking up a panel would mean ripping through the tongue with a
circular saw set to the correct depth. They are about 1220mm long and about
325mm wide.

Costs aside (dunno the difference in costs yet). which would provide the
stronger floor for a 1960s loft?

DDS

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Duncan Di Saudelli wrote:
[...]

there is not a lot in it.

I went T & G.

simply because I didnt envisage much ripping up in a loft intended to
store rack fulls of assorted junk.. and building materials.

DDS

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Duncan Di Saudelli wrote:
Costs aside (dunno the difference in costs yet). which would provide the
stronger floor for a 1960s loft?

I floored out the roof void in my garage and it was way cheaper to buy
sheets of 8x4 chipboard from the timber merchant than the prepacked T&G
from B&Q (including delivery, sawn in to manageable 8x2'planks).

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Which is best - the chipboard flooring packs from B&Q which are T&G and go
across the joists, or fitting thicker but non-T&G chipboard or OSB boards
*along* the joists?

snip

Thanks for the feedback - I'll have a look into both approaches in that case
and go for the cheapest.

Thanks for your thoughts

DDS

Flooring a garage loft James Abley UK diy 16 August 3rd 09 11:27 AM
loft flooring Al M UK diy 1 January 9th 09 08:31 PM
Loft flooring 51 UK diy 34 November 20th 06 11:53 AM
Loft Flooring Question [email protected] UK diy 11 September 3rd 06 05:35 PM
Loft flooring Josh UK diy 7 January 28th 05 07:16 PM