Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default CH joint leak

I have a slow leak from a joint in a CH pipe (about one drop every minute or
two).

I tried Plumber's Mait (a cheap version a few months ago, the real thing
just now), it still leaks!

Any other easy options to do a quick fix? (Ie. without draining down
everything and replacing or resoldering the joint). Or haven't I used the
Plumber's Mait properly?

(The joint, a solder-ring 15mm equal tee, is in a very awkward place: inside
a cupboard, with one branch disappearing immediately into a wall, another
into a door-frame, and there's a parallel pipe right next to it; it's the
remaining branch that leaks.)

--
Bartc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"BartC" wrote in message ...
I have a slow leak from a joint in a CH pipe (about one drop every minute
or two).

I tried Plumber's Mait (a cheap version a few months ago, the real thing
just now), it still leaks!

Any other easy options to do a quick fix? (Ie. without draining down
everything and replacing or resoldering the joint). Or haven't I used the
Plumber's Mait properly?

(The joint, a solder-ring 15mm equal tee, is in a very awkward place:
inside a cupboard, with one branch disappearing immediately into a wall,
another into a door-frame, and there's a parallel pipe right next to it;
it's the remaining branch that leaks.)

--
Bartc

Plumbers Mait cannot stop the leak from a soldered joint. A plumber once
tried to stop a drip in my old house with some "special" paste. It did not
work.
The pipes can be frozen and the joint made good.
If it is that difficult to get at, ring a plumber.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/02/13 15:28, Mr Pounder wrote:
"BartC" wrote in message ...
[...]

if you can isolate it try car body filler.

I did a temp repair once by wrapping the thing entirely in PTFE tape..it
turned a gush into the occasional drip

So bit of tape and then smother it with car body filler MAY stop the leak.

It is a frightful bodge of course.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 02 Feb 2013 15:47:19 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

if you can isolate it try car body filler.

Or the other epoxy based stuff designed for the purpose. I would expect a
plumbing version to remain a little more flexable than CBF.

I did a temp repair once by wrapping the thing entirely in PTFE
tape..it turned a gush into the occasional drip

Self amalgamting tape is another possibilty, used that to hold in the
stupid little easy to break air vent plug on a TD5 top radiator hose for
many a month. A CH pipe shouldn't be a problem, if you can get it clean
and dry and stretch the tape enough. At a push a good quality electrical
insulating tape might do, but wouldn't last like SA tape.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 2, 2:57*pm, "BartC" wrote:
I have a slow leak from a joint in a CH pipe (about one drop every minute or
two).

I tried Plumber's Mait (a cheap version a few months ago, the real thing
just now), it still leaks!

Any other easy options to do a quick fix? (Ie. without draining down
everything and replacing or resoldering the joint). Or haven't I used the
Plumber's Mait properly?

(The joint, a solder-ring 15mm equal tee, is in a very awkward place: inside
a cupboard, with one branch disappearing immediately into a wall, another
into a door-frame, and there's a parallel pipe right next to it; it's the
remaining branch that leaks.)

--
Bartc

You might be able to make a repair with a bit of soft rubber sheet (or
similar) and a jubilee clip.
Put rubber over leak with some jollop on it,slide jubilee clip over
and tighten down.
May not work as there is a surface irregularity.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
On Feb 2, 2:57 pm, "BartC" wrote:
[...]

It would appear to be leaking from a badly soldered copper tee.
Of course there is going to be a irregular surface --------------- pipe goes
into fitting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/02/2013 14:57, BartC wrote:
I have a slow leak from a joint in a CH pipe (about one drop every
minute or two).

I tried Plumber's Mait (a cheap version a few months ago, the real thing
just now), it still leaks!

Any other easy options to do a quick fix? (Ie. without draining down
everything and replacing or resoldering the joint). Or haven't I used
the Plumber's Mait properly?

Alas no - its designed for helping to seal threaded connections - it has
no practical use as a sealing compound on its own.

(The joint, a solder-ring 15mm equal tee, is in a very awkward place:
inside a cupboard, with one branch disappearing immediately into a wall,
another into a door-frame, and there's a parallel pipe right next to it;
it's the remaining branch that leaks.)

Well the proper solution would be to remake it. However you can get
plumbing leak repair sticks that may fix it. These come as a strip or or
bar of epoxy putty - usually about 1/2" wide in two coloured sections.
You rip a bit off, and then mix the two colours together until they are
fully mixed. This gives you a firm sticky blutak like compound that will
stick to wet surfaces etc. Use that to patch your leak, and it hardens
in about 5 mins or so.

e.g.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plum...+Repair/p59360

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Yes, that's the stuff I used ('plumber's mait quick leak repair putty -
instant repair for pipes, radiators, tanks and cylinders').

There's still some left, so might try again. Otherwise I might try the
rubber and jubilee clip idea; I just need some rubber, and a jubilee clip...

--
Bartc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/02/2013 19:03, BartC wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Epoxy is was what I was going to suggest; in the good old days plumbers
mait was a sort of non-setting putty, never heard that term used for an
epoxy. It won't normally set against mains water pressure or against a
pressurised CH system but will set against the sort of pressure you have
in an unvented cylinder. So one fix might be to depressurise the CH, use
the epoxy and give it an hour or two to cure before repressurising.
Rubber and jubilee clip will also work if the geometry is favourable; OK
for a pinhole in a straight pipe run, less likely to work at a joint
because of the "step".

A couple of years ago radiospares was promoting a sort of self
amalgamating tape which would work on 3 bar, if you applied it
correctly. (Needed a double or triple layer, IIRC). Never got around to
getting any to try because my inclination would almost always be to do a
"proper" repair.

But I have used epoxy a couple of times on awkward leaks, typically on
hot water cylinders.

--
For every complex problem, there is a solution which is simple, neat,
and wrong.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Why not try Fernox LSX, my hot water cylinder had a tiny pinprick hole in the top and due to the foam insulation I didn't want to solder it so i smeared LSX on the hole and it's been fine since and that was way back last April