Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to tell which joint a leak is coming from?

The nest of plastic piping under our kitchen sink has developed an as
yet small leak. It's a combination of the main sink drain, half sink
drain and dishwasher drain.

What's the best way I can tell which of the many joints is leaking?
There's only dampness around the fittings at the moment so I can't
actually see anything dripping from anywhere.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gary wrote:
The nest of plastic piping under our kitchen sink has developed an as
yet small leak. It's a combination of the main sink drain, half sink
drain and dishwasher drain.

What's the best way I can tell which of the many joints is leaking?
There's only dampness around the fittings at the moment so I can't
actually see anything dripping from anywhere.

Just dry everything off thoroughly with kitchen paper and monitor all
joints thoroughly and regularly until you find which one gets damp first.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Gary
wrote
The nest of plastic piping under our kitchen sink has developed an as
yet small leak. It's a combination of the main sink drain, half sink
drain and dishwasher drain.

What's the best way I can tell which of the many joints is leaking?
There's only dampness around the fittings at the moment so I can't
actually see anything dripping from anywhere.

Colour the water with a food dye

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 10:30:00 +0000, Gary wrote:

The nest of plastic piping under our kitchen sink has developed an as
yet small leak. It's a combination of the main sink drain, half sink
drain and dishwasher drain.

What's the best way I can tell which of the many joints is leaking?
There's only dampness around the fittings at the moment so I can't
actually see anything dripping from anywhere.

Wrap a bit of kitchen roll around the joints then run water through
the various fittings and see which bits of paper get wet first.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alan wrote:
In message , Gary
wrote
The nest of plastic piping under our kitchen sink has developed an as
yet small leak. It's a combination of the main sink drain, half sink
drain and dishwasher drain.

What's the best way I can tell which of the many joints is leaking?
There's only dampness around the fittings at the moment so I can't
actually see anything dripping from anywhere.

Colour the water with a food dye

Now that idea I like. Might make the subsequent fixing a bit messy
though unless it's all flushed through!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Gary" wrote in message
The nest of plastic piping under our kitchen sink has developed an as
yet small leak. It's a combination of the main sink drain, half sink
drain and dishwasher drain.

What's the best way I can tell which of the many joints is leaking?
There's only dampness around the fittings at the moment so I can't
actually see anything dripping from anywhere.

Redo every joint again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gary wrote:
The nest of plastic piping under our kitchen sink has developed an as
yet small leak. It's a combination of the main sink drain, half sink
drain and dishwasher drain.

What's the best way I can tell which of the many joints is leaking?
There's only dampness around the fittings at the moment so I can't
actually see anything dripping from anywhere.

Dry everything with kitchen paper & use a very bright LED torch - the light
makes water droplets sparkle & they are easy to spot.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Gary wrote:

The nest of plastic piping under our kitchen sink has developed an as
yet small leak. It's a combination of the main sink drain, half sink
drain and dishwasher drain.

What's the best way I can tell which of the many joints is leaking?
There's only dampness around the fittings at the moment so I can't
actually see anything dripping from anywhere.

Dry everything with kitchen paper & use a very bright LED torch - the light
makes water droplets sparkle & they are easy to spot.

Once the pipes have been dried off as above, tie strips of kitchen paper
near each joint and see which ones get wet. This will locate the slowest
of leaks even if is so slow that the paper dries but telltale stains
will show.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gary wrote:
The nest of plastic piping under our kitchen sink has developed an as
yet small leak. It's a combination of the main sink drain, half sink
drain and dishwasher drain.

What's the best way I can tell which of the many joints is leaking?
There's only dampness around the fittings at the moment so I can't
actually see anything dripping from anywhere.

Find some self coloured absorbent paper and use that. I use blue, as it
shows up quite well when it gets wetted. Kim wipe is one form of it and
can usually be found outside a supermarket for drying the trolley handles.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 10:40:03 +0000, Lobster wrote:

Gary wrote:
The nest of plastic piping under our kitchen sink has developed an as
yet small leak. It's a combination of the main sink drain, half sink
drain and dishwasher drain.

What's the best way I can tell which of the many joints is leaking?
There's only dampness around the fittings at the moment so I can't
actually see anything dripping from anywhere.

Just dry everything off thoroughly with kitchen paper and monitor all
joints thoroughly and regularly until you find which one gets damp
first.

The look to see if something ABOVE it is making it wet which you had not
spotted earlier.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Redo every joint again.

I would agree. We came back from a walk on Boxing day to find our
kitchen flooded. One of the pipes had fallen out and the dishwasher
had emptied itself over the cupboard and the floor. I would also
advise people to check these pipes occasionaly as they can clearly
work loose.....you only need to look at a pub urinal or sink to see
how unreliable they are!

If somone can recommend a particular brand that is more reliable or
foolproof I would be interested to hear about it.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Gary wrote:
The nest of plastic piping under our kitchen sink has developed an as
yet small leak. It's a combination of the main sink drain, half sink
drain and dishwasher drain.

What's the best way I can tell which of the many joints is leaking?
There's only dampness around the fittings at the moment so I can't
actually see anything dripping from anywhere.

You'll probably have to dismantle the lot even if you do find which one is
leaking so just bite the bullet and do that anyway. A good time to neaten
it all up if it was a peacemeal development. ;-)

--
*(on a baby-size shirt) "Party -- my crib -- two a.m

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Tim Decker wrote:
I would agree. We came back from a walk on Boxing day to find our
kitchen flooded. One of the pipes had fallen out and the dishwasher
had emptied itself over the cupboard and the floor. I would also
advise people to check these pipes occasionaly as they can clearly
work loose.....you only need to look at a pub urinal or sink to see
how unreliable they are!

If somone can recommend a particular brand that is more reliable or
foolproof I would be interested to hear about it.

The best way is to use Terrain where possible - this uses solvent weld
connections and won't leak ever if properly done. And just use push fit or
compression etc where essential. Obviously Terrain requires more care and
skill to fit - it has to be properly lined up when cementing together as
you don't get a second chance.

--
*Ah, I see the f**k-up fairy has visited us again