Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Decent cheap LED torches?

I know it's slightly off topic, but I'd appreciate any suggestions for
LED torches (flashlights) that don't cost an arm and a leg, e.g. for
doing DIY jobs in dark corners or walking along paths at night. Around
the house we have a motley collection of old torches with incandescent
bulbs that I'd like to replace with modern ones using LEDs.

Last year on impulse I bought one from Poundland with 3 LEDs which was
very good initially, but after a week one of the LEDs had failed and
another was flickering, so I took it back and (after a struggle) got a
refund. I then got one from Maplins for under £5, which only works
intermittently as it has a very dodgy switch. If I could find the
receipt I'd take that back too.

Searching online including ebay I find posh brands with prices up to
astonishing levels, e.g. 465 Euros. Many of the cheaper ones, I mean
up to £20, seem to work with Li-ion batteries, e.g. type 18650. These
seem to need a special charger. All I know about Li-ion batteries in
laptops etc is that when not used they lose charge over a matter of
weeks. I can foresee that when I really need a torch, after not having
used it for a time, it will be totally discharged. So I'd really like
one that can take ordinary alkaline (or hybrid NiMH) AA cells.

Are there any at reasonable prices that are any good?

--
Clive Page
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2013 10:46, Clive Page wrote:
[...]

Drop into Lidl sometime - some perfectly acceptable ones at reasonable
prices.

Fairly inexpensive chargers for 18650s readily available from the likes
of Deal Extreme - though I cannot vouch for quality of cells or chargers.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
polygonum wrote:
Drop into Lidl sometime - some perfectly acceptable ones at reasonable
prices.

They've got one this Thursday. 3 watt Cree so should be good. Dunno what
batteries it uses - it isn't a rechargeable type.

Have one of their earlier ones made from solid ally. Has 5 LEDs and uses 3
AAs. Which seem to last forever. The type where you screw the front to
switch it on - so no switch to break. Very pleased with it.

--
*That's it! I‘m calling grandma!

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 10:52:22 +0000, polygonum
wrote:

Fairly inexpensive chargers for 18650s readily available from the likes
of Deal Extreme - though I cannot vouch for quality of cells or chargers.

Dangerous pieces of ****.
The x-fire cells are to be avoided as many fakes abound and many of
the cheap chargers are deathtraps.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, January 29, 2013 10:46:27 AM UTC, Clive Page wrote:
[...]

Bought one of these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1308322867... 4.m1439.l2649
from Halfords. Has two functions. Torch and flood. Liked it so ordered two more from eBay (for less than the price of the one from Halfords)
Only downside is the switch requires a very firm prod to function. Note the hanging hook and the magnetic plate. Makes it very handy to leave in places like the loft hatch etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, January 29, 2013 10:56:39 AM UTC, fred wrote:
[...]

In fairness to Halfords theirs did come with the batteries
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
[...]

Aldi also have an apparently identical unit for a fiver or so. Very
handy, they are.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John Williamson
writes
fred wrote:
On Tuesday, January 29, 2013 10:56:39 AM UTC, fred wrote:

Bought one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1308322867...EWNX:IT&_trksi
d=p3984.m1439.l2649

from Halfords. Has two functions. Torch and flood. Liked it so
ordered two more from eBay (for less than the price of the one from
Halfords)

Only downside is the switch requires a very firm prod to function.
Note the hanging hook and the magnetic plate. Makes it very handy to
leave in places like the loft hatch etc.

In fairness to Halfords theirs did come with the batteries

Aldi also have an apparently identical unit for a fiver or so. Very
handy, they are.

I bought 2 of these and 2 of the similar bigger floodlights from the
Aldi remainder bin about 2 weeks ago - £2.99 each including batteries.

I also bought up almost their entire stock of the remaindered plastic
case Halloween torches a few weeks earlier and distributed them round
the family. I think they were a pound including batteries. I keep one in
the car, one in the Disco, one by the door in the house, one in the
pocket of each coat and so on. So far I'm delighted with them all. The
little bit of brass to take the negative to the led array isn't terribly
well engineered, but hey.........
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2013 10:46, Clive Page wrote:
I know it's slightly off topic, but I'd appreciate any suggestions for
LED torches (flashlights) that don't cost an arm and a leg, e.g. for
doing DIY jobs in dark corners or walking along paths at night. Around
the house we have a motley collection of old torches with incandescent
bulbs that I'd like to replace with modern ones using LEDs.

LIDL or Aldi (I can never recall which one had the nicer ones) had a
turned aluminium case compact torch with a 1W LED in not long ago. Quite
well built and with a good focussed beam I think ~£5.

one that can take ordinary alkaline (or hybrid NiMH) AA cells.

Are there any at reasonable prices that are any good?

You want one where the power is 1W or 3W in a single chip die with a
dome lens looking yellowish when off with a metal casing or heatsink of
some sort to take away the waste heat. Some are better than others.

Forget all the ones with multiple ordinary 5mm LEDs for torches.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Maglite do good ones and if you shop around you can get them at a
reasonable price.

--
Regards Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2013 11:05, Peter Crosland wrote:
[...]

You can also get retrofit LED lamps to go in existing maglights...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday 29 January 2013 10:46 Clive Page wrote in uk.d-i-y:

[...]

Double AA Maglite is surprisingly bright at around 25 quid. Alkaline cells
last quite a while.

Only thing is it is "twist to turn on" (no button) and a bit too easy to
knock off.

Personally, unless you want a pocket torch, I would get one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maglite-ST2D016-Cell-LED-
Torch/dp/B000KC418A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359458655&sr=8-1

2D cell LED Maglite. Bombproof, waterproof, will last for years with abuse
if my 4 cell is anything to go by and if it had a problem, you can buy parts
(mine needed a new switch after 15 years).

A belt ring is a welcome addition if you only need it on sometimes whilst
walking.

I will never buy another cheap torch again (I said that 15 years ago and
I've stuck to it).
--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceived SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2013 11:27, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

I got mine from Wilkinsons, and its a 9 led type with a rubber casing
and takes 3 AAA batteries for just £2.50

--
http://www.mykleeneze.com/rheselwood
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

2D cell LED Maglite. Bombproof, waterproof, will last for years with abusewe
if my 4 cell is anything to go by and if it had a problem, you can buy parts
(mine needed a new switch after 15 years).

A belt ring is a welcome addition if you only need it on sometimes whilst
walking.

I will never buy another cheap torch again (I said that 15 years ago and
I've stuck to it).

Funny that. I said will never buy another expensive torch again. I
bought a fairly early LED torch and, whilst basically very pleased with
it, even the cheapest ones now are much better.

Inexpensive ones seem to do an excellent job - from £2.99 (plastic) to
something a bit over a fiver at Lidl in quite nicely finished metal. In
my opinion, the beam from my current favourite Lidl model is excellent.

With current technology, LEDs are beating incandescents, but we still
have question marks over longevity and efficiency. Quite possibly by
next year they will again have improved significantly? So I shall not be
spending more than a modest amount.

Also, I'd rather have a few torches lying around than piling all the
money into one which could fail when most needed.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday 29 January 2013 11:49 polygonum wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Funny that. I said will never buy another expensive torch again. I
bought a fairly early LED torch and, whilst basically very pleased with
it, even the cheapest ones now are much better.

Inexpensive ones seem to do an excellent job - from £2.99 (plastic) to
something a bit over a fiver at Lidl in quite nicely finished metal. In
my opinion, the beam from my current favourite Lidl model is excellent.

With current technology, LEDs are beating incandescents, but we still
have question marks over longevity and efficiency. Quite possibly by
next year they will again have improved significantly? So I shall not be
spending more than a modest amount.

Also, I'd rather have a few torches lying around than piling all the
money into one which could fail when most needed.

You sir must be one of the lucky ones.

All I've ever had with cheap LEDs (inc torches) are failure in less than a
couple of years.

I torch that cost me maybe 25 quid at the time and has lasted 15 years with
one 5 quid repair is, in my books, good value.

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceived SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

"She got her looks from her father. He's a plastic surgeon."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message

[...]

I have had a six quid two D cell one from Lidl for about a year now. Only
occasional use but still on original batteries. It came with 3 years
warranty and it far brighter than any torch I have owned before. Its almost
as powerful as my portable Dragon searchlight!

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On Tuesday 29 January 2013 11:49 polygonum wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Funny that. I said will never buy another expensive torch again. I
bought a fairly early LED torch and, whilst basically very pleased with
it, even the cheapest ones now are much better.

Inexpensive ones seem to do an excellent job - from £2.99 (plastic) to
something a bit over a fiver at Lidl in quite nicely finished metal. In
my opinion, the beam from my current favourite Lidl model is excellent.

With current technology, LEDs are beating incandescents, but we still
have question marks over longevity and efficiency. Quite possibly by
next year they will again have improved significantly? So I shall not be
spending more than a modest amount.

Also, I'd rather have a few torches lying around than piling all the
money into one which could fail when most needed.

You sir must be one of the lucky ones.

Nope, one of the commonly seen ones, actually.

All I've ever had with cheap LEDs (inc torches)
are failure in less than a couple of years.

Technology ALWAYS improves over time.

I torch that cost me maybe 25 quid at the time and has lasted
15 years with one 5 quid repair is, in my books, good value.

Not in mine in an area where technology is improving dramatically.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
[...]

Too expensive IMO and the wrong format, I think head lights are better
even if you dont put it on your head very often, its handy to be able to.

2D cell LED Maglite. Bombproof, waterproof, will last for years with abuse
if my 4 cell is anything to go by and if it had a problem, you can buy
parts
(mine needed a new switch after 15 years).

I think it makes more sense to get something a lot cheaper and
toss it if you need to.

A belt ring is a welcome addition if you only need it on sometimes whilst
walking.

My headlight is small enough so that goes in the pocket fine.

I dont always wear a belt. Always have pockets tho.

I will never buy another cheap torch again

I did and am very happy with the result.

(I said that 15 years ago and I've stuck to it).

See above.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday 29 January 2013 19:01 Rod Speed wrote in uk.d-i-y:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maglite-ST2D016-Cell-LED-
Torch/dp/B000KC418A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359458655&sr=8-1

Too expensive IMO and the wrong format, I think head lights are better
even if you dont put it on your head very often, its handy to be able to.

You cheap tart! ;-|

2D cell LED Maglite. Bombproof, waterproof, will last for years with
abuse if my 4 cell is anything to go by and if it had a problem, you can
buy parts
(mine needed a new switch after 15 years).

I think it makes more sense to get something a lot cheaper and
toss it if you need to.

I hate that approach as being everything that's wrong with the modern
world...

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceived SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

"It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent
moral busybodies."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote
Rod Speed wrote

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maglite-ST2D016-Cell-LED-
Torch/dp/B000KC418A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359458655&sr=8-1

Too expensive IMO and the wrong format, I think head lights are better
even if you dont put it on your head very often, its handy to be able
to.

You cheap tart! ;-|

2D cell LED Maglite. Bombproof, waterproof, will last for years
with abuse if my 4 cell is anything to go by and if it had a problem,
you can buy parts (mine needed a new switch after 15 years).

I think it makes more sense to get something a lot cheaper and
toss it if you need to.

I hate that approach as being everything that's wrong with the modern
world...

It isnt with fast moving technology.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive Page :
I know it's slightly off topic, but I'd appreciate any suggestions for
LED torches (flashlights) that don't cost an arm and a leg, e.g. for
doing DIY jobs in dark corners or walking along paths at night.
Around the house we have a motley collection of old torches with
incandescent bulbs that I'd like to replace with modern ones using
LEDs.

For those purposes I suggest a head torch rather than (or perhaps as
well as) a hand torch.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Barnes" wrote in message
Clive Page :
I know it's slightly off topic, but I'd appreciate any suggestions for
LED torches (flashlights) that don't cost an arm and a leg, e.g. for
doing DIY jobs in dark corners or walking along paths at night.
Around the house we have a motley collection of old torches with
incandescent bulbs that I'd like to replace with modern ones using
LEDs.

For those purposes I suggest a head torch rather than (or perhaps as
well as) a hand torch.

Yeah, that's what I got. I find I hardly ever put it on my head tho.

Handy to be able to tho, particularly for when the mains
fails and the **** has hit the fan with something else so
you need the hands free to do something about that.

The strap doesn't get in the way of holding it like a normal torch.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If they're working, why replace them?

The only LED torch I've used was recently in the pitch dark of a
mountain road which needed gritting so I could get 'out' of the area
I'd been visiting. It was loaned to me by the man who helped me grit
the road, because unlike the ones I have in my car, it was a head
torch with straps to sit it on the forehead like a miner's lamp. It
was very good for that job. He said he'd bought the two for £1.49
each from somewhere, though later I saw the same thing for £14.99 and
wondered if he'd misrembered. IIRC, it took 3 x AA. That would be a
downer in my book, why not 2 or 4?

My car failed that first major test in the snow. Despite all the
shovelling and gritting, trying reverse, etc, etc, I still had to be
towed out by a 4x4! I walked down next afternoon with a bottle of
whiskey for the man, four miles in all. By then, all the snow had
melted, and it ****ed with rain all the way :-{

On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 10:46:27 +0000, Clive Page
wrote:

Around
the house we have a motley collection of old torches with incandescent
bulbs that I'd like to replace with modern ones using LEDs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Java Jive wrote
Clive Page wrote

Around the house we have a motley collection of old torches with
incandescent bulbs that I'd like to replace with modern ones using LEDs.

If they're working, why replace them?

Because the technology has moved on dramatically now.

The only LED torch I've used was recently in the pitch dark of a
mountain road which needed gritting so I could get 'out' of the area
I'd been visiting. It was loaned to me by the man who helped me grit
the road, because unlike the ones I have in my car, it was a head
torch with straps to sit it on the forehead like a miner's lamp. It
was very good for that job. He said he'd bought the two for £1.49
each from somewhere, though later I saw the same thing for £14.99 and
wondered if he'd misrembered.

No he didn't, I got mine for what he said he got it for.

IIRC, it took 3 x AA.

Yeah, mine does too.

That would be a downer in my book,

I cant see that it matters.

why not 2 or 4?

They are all side by side, not end to end
and 3 works better for that than 2 or 4.

My car failed that first major test in the snow.
Despite all the shovelling and gritting, trying
reverse, etc, etc, I still had to be towed out by a 4x4!

And that's an absolutely classic example of where
the headlight format is very handy when you need it.

I walked down next afternoon with a bottle of
whiskey for the man, four miles in all. By then, all the
snow had melted, and it ****ed with rain all the way :-{

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Java Jive wrote:
The only LED torch I've used was recently in the pitch dark of a
mountain road which needed gritting so I could get 'out' of the area
I'd been visiting. It was loaned to me by the man who helped me grit
the road, because unlike the ones I have in my car, it was a head
torch with straps to sit it on the forehead like a miner's lamp. It
was very good for that job. He said he'd bought the two for £1.49
each from somewhere, though later I saw the same thing for £14.99 and
wondered if he'd misrembered. IIRC, it took 3 x AA. That would be a
downer in my book, why not 2 or 4?

Because the operating voltage of a blue or white LED is about 4 volts.
as against the 1.6 or so for a red or green LED. Using 3 cells matches
this well. Using 2 or 4 would require extra electronics to drive the LED
correctly.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Jan, 19:49, John Williamson
wrote:
Java Jive wrote:
[...]

Can recomend B&Q`s Pro Series Cree 120 Lumens 2AA £19.98

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/handtools...skuId=11738235

Spot to flood focus, decent build quality, even after couple years
abuse.

Toolstation`s Nightsearcher range are pretty poor build quality wise,
Led Lenser are OK but overpriced.

Ultrafire A10 lived in my pocket beside keys for last year plus, it
has always worked when needed, its gets used frequently and fed on
7Day shops rehargeables

http://dx.com/p/ultrafire-a10-ha-iii...-1-14500-19187

Problem with DX is the now getting ludicrous delivery times, get the
despatch email about time were hoping product might turn up.

Fasttech seem to have a growing good reputation.

Honest reviews;

http://budgetlightforum.com/

Cheers
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Java Jive wrote:
[...]

Grossly over priced.

Spot to flood focus, decent build quality, even after couple years abuse.

Toolstation`s Nightsearcher range are pretty poor build quality wise,
Led Lenser are OK but overpriced.

Yours is too.

Ultrafire A10 lived in my pocket beside keys

Too big for that IMO.

for last year plus, it has always worked when needed, its gets used
frequently

I hardly ever use mine.

and fed on 7Day shops rehargeables
http://dx.com/p/ultrafire-a10-ha-iii...-1-14500-19187

Problem with DX is the now getting ludicrous delivery times, get the
despatch email about time were hoping product might turn up.

Fasttech seem to have a growing good reputation.

Honest reviews;

http://budgetlightforum.com/

And those leave fiddling with it in the store for dead.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Jan, 20:47, "Rod Speed" wrote:
"Adam Aglionby" wrote in message

SNIPPED

and then on topic reply added not just a moan about not snipping..

Can recomend B&Q`s Pro Series Cree 120 Lumens 2AA *£19.98
http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/handtools...andtools/torch...

Grossly over priced.

It`s an OK price for a walk in U.K. store at the quality.

Similar quality direct from China is probably going to be 70% cheaper
but with a wait.

Spot to flood focus, decent build quality, even after couple years abuse.
Toolstation`s Nightsearcher range are pretty poor build quality wise,
Led Lenser are OK but overpriced.

Yours is too.

LED Lenser sell themselves on German engineering design or some
******** then add a premium to already premium pricing in the U.K.

Ultrafire A10 lived in my pocket beside keys

Too big for that IMO.

Actually agree its on the large side for pocket, single AAA being
preferable, but lost last one, thread reminds me its time to go
shopping.

for last year plus, it has always worked when needed, its gets used
frequently

I hardly ever use mine.

choose your battery technology wisely

and fed on 7Day shops rehargeables
http://dx.com/p/ultrafire-a10-ha-iii...220-lumen-led-...
Problem with DX is the now getting ludicrous delivery times, get the
despatch email about time were hoping product might turn up.
Fasttech seem to have a growing good reputation.
Honest reviews;
http://budgetlightforum.com/

And those leave fiddling with it in the store for dead.

not entirely, but if you want to see fawning over quite
astronomically priced torches try candlepowerforums

Cheers
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 12:34:44 -0800 (PST), Adam Aglionby
wrote:

Honest reviews;

http://budgetlightforum.com/

Yes, recommended.
I'm on there as a battery harvester for now.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mmm! Fair enough I suppose, but it's awkward. If you buy a pack of 4
alkaline batteries, there is an awkward odd one left over, while even
with rechargeables it takes more management to ensure that you cycle
them around so that they all get used equally.

On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 19:49:05 +0000, John Williamson
wrote:

Because the operating voltage of a blue or white LED is about 4 volts.
as against the 1.6 or so for a red or green LED. Using 3 cells matches
this well. Using 2 or 4 would require extra electronics to drive the LED
correctly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Java Jive wrote:
Mmm! Fair enough I suppose, but it's awkward. If you buy a pack of 4
alkaline batteries, there is an awkward odd one left over, while even
with rechargeables it takes more management to ensure that you cycle
them around so that they all get used equally.

If they get popular enough, and enough people complain, then battery
sellers will start selling packs of 3, probably at the same price you
pay for a 4-pack now. They only sell them in packs of 4 now because
people want either 2 or 4 for most applications.

At least things have stopped using 5 C cells, like the very elderly
Philips cassette recorder I own.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

The secret with the Poundshop ones is to use poor quality zinc/carbon
batteries. They rely on the cell internal resistance to limit the LED
current. Alkaline cells have too low an internal resistance and heavily
over drive the LEDs when new.

Brighter but a short life. Use the cheap batteries from the same source...

Chris K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Are there any at reasonable prices that are any good?

www.fasttech.com

Mostly good.

www.kaidomain.com

Some crap.

Also, check out www.dealextreme.com

Some great stuff, some real ****.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 10:46:27 +0000, Clive Page wrote:

I know it's slightly off topic, but I'd appreciate any suggestions for
LED torches (flashlights) that don't cost an arm and a leg, e.g. for
doing DIY jobs in dark corners or walking along paths at night.

A head torch is very good for DIY and wandering about as you have your
handsfree.

I got a pack of three TechLite Lumen Master hand torches from CostCo for
about £15 inc VAT. 3 x AAA, ali body with O ring seals, Cree LED
F.bright! My torch of choice these days over 4 or 6 D cell Maglights. One
has suffered leaky batteries and needs a bit of TLC. This maybe down to
the switch being a "soft" switch rather than a real one and the
controller chip in this particular torch having a high leakage. It did
flatten a set of AAA's in a couple of months. The other two are fine.

One thing to watch out for with LEDs is a far to focused a beam and not
enough wider angle spread. If you are trying to see something the
otherside of a field a powerful beam is useful but not for general
illumination when trying to perform a task.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 12:46:48 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

I know it's slightly off topic, but I'd appreciate any suggestions for
LED torches (flashlights) that don't cost an arm and a leg, e.g. for
doing DIY jobs in dark corners or walking along paths at night.

A head torch is very good for DIY and wandering about as you have your
handsfree.

Hoyuss.
I've just got one of these...
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170875795055
Bright as buggery and takes an 18650, which might be of some concern
if you've not used them (I employ a protected one in that).
I'll probably buy another one.

It replaced an earlier one which I was quite happy with until I busted
it, but it had lasted a couple of years.

I intend to get one of these...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320864360370

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote
Dave Liquorice wrote

I know it's slightly off topic, but I'd appreciate any suggestions for
LED torches (flashlights) that don't cost an arm and a leg, e.g. for
doing DIY jobs in dark corners or walking along paths at night.

A head torch is very good for DIY and wandering about as you have your
handsfree.

Hoyuss.
I've just got one of these...
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170875795055
Bright as buggery and takes an 18650, which might be of some concern
if you've not used them (I employ a protected one in that).
I'll probably buy another one.

I prefer the style which has the lamp and battery compartment all in
the one thing. That way you can use it as a normal torch easily too.

It replaced an earlier one which I was quite happy with
until I busted it, but it had lasted a couple of years.

I intend to get one of these...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320864360370

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 2 Feb 2013 11:21:05 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

I prefer the style which has the lamp and battery compartment all in
the one thing.

The first LED headtorch I had was like that (and the second) -
terrible ****, never staying where they were put and always wanting to
drop down ( the Draper blue one was the worst, far too heavy).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote
Rod Speed wrote

I prefer the style which has the lamp and
battery compartment all in the one thing.

Because that's much more convenient when you use
it as a torch and don't bother to put it on your head.
And I use it like that much more often than I put it on
my head, and only put it on my head when I need to
have my hands free to do something with them.

The first LED headtorch I had was like that (and
the second) - terrible ****, never staying where
they were put and always wanting to drop down

Mine doesn't, because it has a strap that goes over the top of the head.

( the Draper blue one was the worst, far too heavy).

Mine is very light and I can't see why any of the modern LED
headlights should be heavy. They don't need heavy batterys.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clive Page" wrote in message
I know it's slightly off topic, but I'd appreciate any suggestions for LED
torches (flashlights) that don't cost an arm and a leg, e.g. for doing DIY
jobs in dark corners or walking along paths at night.

Quite an incredible choice these days

Anything with a single CREE led is worth buying

at the other end of the scale i bought a big 9 led head torch in poundland
last week, it had the newer yellow looking leds incredibly bright.

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark" wrote in message ...

"Clive Page" wrote in message
I know it's slightly off topic, but I'd appreciate any suggestions for LED
torches (flashlights) that don't cost an arm and a leg, e.g. for doing DIY
jobs in dark corners or walking along paths at night.

Quite an incredible choice these days

Anything with a single CREE led is worth buying

at the other end of the scale i bought a big 9 led head torch in poundland
last week, it had the newer yellow looking leds incredibly bright.

-

I've replaced the incandescent bulbs in several torches recently with CREE
replacements which are a major improvement. One was a hand held lump with a
12v sealed lead acid, with a fantastic beam from a car headlamp, but lasted
no time at all with a lit time measured in 10's of minutes. Now with the
CREE bulb it rarely needs charging and I consequently use it round the farm
far more often.

AWEM