Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Decent drill press- gotta cheap out here

Today my Delta DP 350 broke. Can't wait a week or two getting it fixed. I
need a DP like, tomorrow. Is there anything I can buy at HD, Lowes, Sears,
that doesn't cost a bunch that I might have any luck with? I'm looking for
$150-200.00. I can live with a 10" non variable speed. It's heaviest use
would be probably an occasional 1-1/4" forstner bit in hard wood. It don't
have to get it done fast, just get it done with minimal run out. Thanks.

--
Paul

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 3, 7:46*pm, "Paul" wrote:
Today my Delta DP 350 broke. Can't wait a week or two getting it fixed. I
need a DP like, tomorrow. Is there anything I can buy at HD, Lowes, Sears,
that doesn't cost a bunch that I might have any luck with? I'm looking for
$150-200.00. I can live with a 10" non variable speed. It's heaviest use
would be probably an occasional 1-1/4" forstner bit in hard wood. It don't
have to get it done fast, just get it done with minimal run out. Thanks.

--
Paul

I have owned a few drill presses over the years and I am just tickled
pink with my Ridgid. Sometimes Ridgig does it right.
Out of the box, it wouldn't even wiggle my dial indicator. FWW spec'd .
0006 run-out. Helluva deal.
Posted to rec.woodworking

--
Paul
"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Sep 3, 7:46 pm, "Paul" wrote:
Today my Delta DP 350 broke. Can't wait a week or two getting it fixed. I
need a DP like, tomorrow. Is there anything I can buy at HD, Lowes, Sears,
that doesn't cost a bunch that I might have any luck with? I'm looking for
$150-200.00. I can live with a 10" non variable speed. It's heaviest use
would be probably an occasional 1-1/4" forstner bit in hard wood. It don't
have to get it done fast, just get it done with minimal run out. Thanks.

--
Paul

I have owned a few drill presses over the years and I am just tickled
pink with my Ridgid. Sometimes Ridgig does it right.
Out of the box, it wouldn't even wiggle my dial indicator. FWW spec'd .
0006 run-out. Helluva deal.

Does HD still sell those? Didn't see any on the website.

Paul

Posted to rec.woodworking

--

On Sep 3, 7:46 pm, "Paul" wrote:

Today my Delta DP 350 broke. Can't wait a week or two getting it fixed. I
need a DP like, tomorrow. Is there anything I can buy at HD, Lowes, Sears,
that doesn't cost a bunch that I might have any luck with? I'm looking for
$150-200.00. I can live with a 10" non variable speed. It's heaviest use
would be probably an occasional 1-1/4" forstner bit in hard wood. It don't
have to get it done fast, just get it done with minimal run out. Thanks..

--
Paul

I have owned a few drill presses over the years and I am just tickled
pink with my Ridgid. Sometimes Ridgig does it right.
Out of the box, it wouldn't even wiggle my dial indicator. FWW spec'd .
0006 run-out. Helluva deal.

Does HD still sell those? Didn't see any on the website.

Paul

They show at HD's in Canuckistan.....

Posted to rec.woodworking

--
Paul
"Robatoy" wrote in message
--

On Sep 3, 7:46 pm, "Paul" wrote:

[...]

Nothing here, actually can't remember now when the last time I saw Ridgid in
a HD.

Paul

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Paul" wrote in message
Today my Delta DP 350 broke. Can't wait a week or two getting it fixed. I
need a DP like, tomorrow. Is there anything I can buy at HD, Lowes, Sears,
that doesn't cost a bunch that I might have any luck with? I'm looking for
$150-200.00. I can live with a 10" non variable speed. It's heaviest use
would be probably an occasional 1-1/4" forstner bit in hard wood. It don't
have to get it done fast, just get it done with minimal run out. Thanks.

--
Paul

I have the benchtop Delta. It has done the job for a number of years.
Google Delta drill press and you can find it as low as $179 delivered.

Or check Amazon directly.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Paul wrote:

Nothing here, actually can't remember now when the last time I saw
Ridgid in a HD.

Don't know how you could miss them. They're a HD exclusive. Just look for
the orange and grey tools.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
Paul wrote:

Nothing here, actually can't remember now when the last time I saw
Ridgid in a HD.

Don't know how you could miss them. They're a HD exclusive. Just
look for the orange and grey tools.

So I just went out to the HD web site and lo and behold... no Ridgid drill
presses. According to the "Where To Buy" link on the Ridgid web site, some
HD stores do stock a floor model drill press, but not all. Did not see a
bench model at all.
--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/3/2011 8:35 PM, Michael Kenefick wrote:
Give your local Harbor Freight a try. They will work in the short
term (and long term).

On 09/03/2011 07:46 PM, Paul wrote:
Today my Delta DP 350 broke. Can't wait a week or two getting it
fixed. I need a DP like, tomorrow. Is there anything I can buy at
HD, Lowes, Sears, that doesn't cost a bunch that I might have any
luck with? I'm looking for $150-200.00. I can live with a 10" non
variable speed. It's heaviest use would be probably an occasional
1-1/4" forstner bit in hard wood. It don't have to get it done
fast, just get it done with minimal run out. Thanks.

I would agree with Michael, Harbor Freight is about as cheap as it will
get...also check your local pawn shops 'cuz I'm seeing all sorts of
heavy tools showing up in the shops around hear. Just bought a 10"
Radial Arm and benchtop delta bandsaw in great condition for $170.00.
They also had an older craftsman floor model DP for sale, but needed
more work than I wanted to put in it.

--
Digger
Bob O'Dell

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/3/2011 6:46 PM, Paul wrote:
Today my Delta DP 350 broke. Can't wait a week or two getting it fixed.
I need a DP like, tomorrow. Is there anything I can buy at HD, Lowes,
Sears, that doesn't cost a bunch that I might have any luck with? I'm
looking for $150-200.00. I can live with a 10" non variable speed. It's
heaviest use would be probably an occasional 1-1/4" forstner bit in hard
wood. It don't have to get it done fast, just get it done with minimal
run out. Thanks.

Have you DP repaired and rent one for tomorrow.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 3, 4:46*pm, "Paul" wrote:
Today my Delta DP 350 broke. Can't wait a week or two getting it fixed. I
need a DP like, tomorrow. Is there anything I can buy at HD, Lowes, Sears,
that doesn't cost a bunch that I might have any luck with? I'm looking for
$150-200.00. I can live with a 10" non variable speed. It's heaviest use
would be probably an occasional 1-1/4" forstner bit in hard wood. It don't
have to get it done fast, just get it done with minimal run out. Thanks.

--
Paul

Don't know where you live but if you've got an active craigslist in
your area, it is excellent source for tools.

http://www.craigslist.org/about/sites

cheers
Bob
Posted to rec.woodworking

Went to HF this morning and picked up the 10" 12spd. Got it home and put it
together. Not a bad drill press, quiet and smooth. A little more run out
than my DP350, but not too bad either. So now I have to fashion a quick and
dirty DP table and fence to use. The one on my Delta is a nice one, and
don't want to butcher it up for this one. When I get time, I'll figure out
how to fix the Delta right, then the HF can be my second dp, or b/u. But
tomorrow, I need to make a workable and quick table and fence.

Paul

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 3, 7:46*pm, "Paul" wrote:
Today my Delta DP 350 broke.

What "broke?"

Bearings? They can be replaced with generic units in many/most cases.
Motor? Same
Pulley(s) Same

Craigslist!! Always worth a search. Some good bargains. Indee, a
Ridgid Drill Press here on our local board for $150!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Paul" wrote in message
Today my Delta DP 350 broke. Can't wait a week or two getting it fixed. I
need a DP like, tomorrow. Is there anything I can buy at HD, Lowes, Sears,
that doesn't cost a bunch that I might have any luck with? I'm looking for
$150-200.00. I can live with a 10" non variable speed. It's heaviest use
would be probably an occasional 1-1/4" forstner bit in hard wood. It don't
have to get it done fast, just get it done with minimal run out. Thanks.

--
Paul

Might be too late, but here is a really basic list I compiled a year or two
ago. It's probably out of date, but might be useful.

Delta DP400 or 17-900 (3/4 HP $400)
Jet JDP-17MF (3/4 HP $550)
Grizzly #G7944 (3/4 HP $325)
Grainger #3Z917 (1/2 HP $650)
Jet JDP-20MF (1-1/2 HP $1100)
Grizzly #G7948 (1-1/2 HP, $625)
Grainger #3Z919 (1 HP, $1100)
Ellis #9400 (2 HP, $2000-3000 - Ask for dealer pricing)

Bridgeport Milling Machines and clones make great drilling machines if you
have the room. Huge table, durability out the wazoo, etc.

--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

--
Paul
"Hoosierpopi" wrote in message
On Sep 3, 7:46 pm, "Paul" wrote:
Today my Delta DP 350 broke.

What "broke?"

Bearings? They can be replaced with generic units in many/most cases.
Motor? Same
Pulley(s) Same

Craigslist!! Always worth a search. Some good bargains. Indee, a
Ridgid Drill Press here on our local board for $150!

The retaining clip on the end of the motor shaft that holds the spring down
on the pulley halves came off. What a racket that was. There is a lot of
pressure there. Clip didn't break, just worked off. I need to see one that
is together right to see how I need to re-do it correctly. What worries me,
is that there is a lot of pressure on that clip, and I dont know if the
groove in the shaft is damaged which allowed the clip to fly off. Also, I
don't know how yet, I'm gonna collapse the spring to get a new clip on.
Anyways will be looking at it when I get a little more time.

Paul

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sep 3, 4:46*pm, "Paul" wrote:
Today my Delta DP 350 broke. Can't wait a week or two getting it fixed. I
need a DP like, tomorrow. Is there anything I can buy at HD, Lowes, Sears,
that doesn't cost a bunch that I might have any luck with?

Sorry for late answer but 1HP Porter Cable available at Lowes is the
best deal going right now. $299 but you can usually fond a $20 Lowes
generic coupon somewhere if you look around.