Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Can I get a decent dark cherry finnish out of cheap wood?

The wife wants a shelf over two windows that abut in a corner of our
bedroom. She also wants a small piece cove molding to come down like a
mini-valance in front of the top of the drapes.

I priced out 2 pieces 8 foot 1"X10" Cherry and two pieces of 8' cove molding
and the price was close to $300.

Plan B was for me to just glue up some smaller pieces of cherry onto the
leading edge of the shelf and the backer piece to the cove molding and stick
with the real cherry for the cove molding because this all you are really
going to be able to see. Probably closer to $120.

But, then I thought to come here and ask if there might be a cheaper and
acceptable alternative? The rest of the furniture in the room is a dark
cherry which really doesn't have any great pronounced grain. Is there a wood
and stain combination that might satisfy the spouse acceptance factor and
keep me out of the poor house?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 17:20:30 -0400, "CraigT"
wrote:

[...]

What most people think of as "cherry" aint cherry. In fact if you
spent the $300 on the cherry and didn't put a "cherry" stain the wife
would probably come home and think you screwed it up. Your furniture
is probably maple with "cherry" stain. If you did the visible parts
with maple and the shelf with poplar you'd probably have a happy wife
and it won't cost you much.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

The wife wants a shelf over two windows that abut in a corner of our
bedroom. She also wants a small piece cove molding to come down like a
mini-valance in front of the top of the drapes.

snip
.. Is there a wood
and stain combination that might satisfy the spouse acceptance factor and
keep me out of the poor house?

What most people think of as "cherry" aint cherry. In fact if you
spent the $300 on the cherry and didn't put a "cherry" stain the wife
would probably come home and think you screwed it up. Your furniture
is probably maple with "cherry" stain. If you did the visible parts
with maple and the shelf with poplar you'd probably have a happy wife
and it won't cost you much.

-Leuf

Ditto - good advice. And, why waste a precious (to me, anyway) hardwood on
something that will get a first glance and then be forgotten. Additionally,
you might want to do a trial of your chosen stain on a piece of maple and
see how evenly it absorbs. If blotchy, either do a seal coat of MinWax
pre-stain or use a thinned shellac coat. I'm lazy so I buy the MinWax.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I built a "quick & cheap" bookcase for the grand kids out of pine and used
aerosol cherry tint on it.. looks great and they've used it for years..

Personally, I'll use any cherry that I can get my hands on for turning...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 10, 5:20 pm, "CraigT" wrote:
[...]

Well one thing I have done that looks close is birch with some cherry
oil based finish like Watco. You may nee to use more than one coat to
get the color you need. You can also use a wipe on Poly over this
stuff if you need more durability.

cordless drills, power difference between cheap and half decent? John Doe Woodworking 36 September 4th 06 10:11 PM
Layout on Dark Wood? Art Greenberg Woodworking 13 February 28th 06 05:05 PM
Dark wood??????? TrailRat Woodworking 8 May 3rd 05 02:55 AM
Decent but cheap bench drill press? Avery W3AVE Woodworking 19 January 26th 05 08:48 PM
Can you get decent wood at the Borg? [email protected] Home Repair 22 January 14th 04 03:21 AM