Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT accountants - how much per year/return/??

"Lobster" wrote in message
On 26/01/2013 14:45, Arfa Daily wrote:

And just so that everyone understands the level of these investigations,
they had the builder guy accounting for every penny that he spent -
right down to how much a year he spent on haircuts, and yes, that *is*
the truth - so you can imagine the stress levels that this generated.

I'm self-employed, and don't use an accountant (though I have in the
past), and have always thought that one of these random investigations
would be my worst nightmare.

Every penny of my income is paid by bank transfer or occasionally cheque,
and it's not the sort of business where you'd ever expect cash payments to
be made, ie there's no opportunity for tax evasion even if I wanted to.
My allowable expenses are (sadly!) absolutely minimal too. I wonder
whether I am equally likely to get a random inquisition,

Nope, much less likely because of the detail you stated.

or would I just not look attractive enough as a proposition??

As long as what you said is an accurate description, that's likely
unless say you also have a much lower declared income than
they consider normal for those involved in doing what you do,
in which case they can decide that while you claim that all your
transactions are fully auditable, they believe that there are
others that arent visible in those transaction records. Since you
don't say exactly what your work involves, its hard to say how
likely that might be.

If they pick on you, do they always do the full
'trousers-down-and-bend-over' routine,

There is a bit of a tendency to do that with those they
think that they have evidence are rorting the system.

or do they only go that far if they're still suspicious after making
preliminary enquiries?

That varys. Clearly that other fella who made it clear
that he has a much lower than is common income
just because he has decided he doesn't need much
income because of his circumstances, should have
seen them decide that he wasn't worth the full
****ing over, but clearly they didn't believe that
when they ended up slugging him what they
believed he had failed to declare income wise.

Corse if its just not possible to get paid in cash
its more likely that they would decide that the
story is plausible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Arfa Daily wrote:
Didn't know haircuts were an allowable expense for the self employed.
Wonder if I can submit a retrospective claim?

Derrrr ... It wasn't about claiming against haircuts. It was about
adding up the total cost of his lifestyle, and setting it against what
his tax return claimed he was earning ...

I dunno how many haircuts I have in a year. And I'd say it very
unreasonable for the ILR to expect anyone to remember this sort of thing
accurately.

Sure, but it aint about being reasonable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT accountants - haircut drift

"unknown" wrote in message
On 27/01/2013 11:59, Tony Bryer wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 11:20:39 +0000 (GMT) Dave Plowman (News) wrote :
I dunno how many haircuts I have in a year. And I'd say it very
unreasonable for the ILR to expect anyone to remember this sort of
thing accurately.

Since I went over to clipper (very short) cuts, I need to have my hair
cut every five weeks - by then it's starting to feel uncomfortable -
and I do so. Cost here is A$15, £10, and I only have to go downstairs
(street level of my tower is shops)

Get yourself a beard trimmer and DIY, in the spirit of this group. I've
been doing that for many years now

Yeah, me too. Very easy if you are into very short hair like that.

and it only takes a couple of minutes

Yep.

every 2 weeks.

I don't do it as frequently as that, basically only do it again when
its getting long enough that it needs combing after a shower.

A beard trimmer cost around £20 last time I looked.

I found that I had to get a better than the lowest cost
ones because they stalled when mowing the head.
That presumably varys with the hair type tho, altho
the barbers that I had previously used used to say
that I had lighter than commonly seen hair in the
dense and wiry sense and that looks plausible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

`In message , Lobster
writes
[...]

'trousers-down-and-bend-over' routine, or do they only go that far if
they're still suspicious after making preliminary enquiries?

I have never had an income tax inspection but I did once have a couple
of ladies checking my VAT.

I gave them the run of the office while I went off to make tea which
seemed a good move. It appeared they were looking to see if VAT had been
properly accounted on some part exchange tractor deals.

They seemed friendly enough:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 17:21:25 +0000, just as I was about to take a
herb, Lobster disturbed my reverie
and wrote:

I think as laterally as I can, trust me

Sorry to hear that.
--

Cheers

DrT
______________________________
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose whether or not
to dance in the puddles (Jewish proverb).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 26, 11:08 am, "Man at B&Q" wrote:
On 25 Jan, 22:46, Jim K wrote:

On Jan 25, 9:38 pm, "Man at B&Q" wrote:

On 25 Jan, 21:17, Jim K wrote:

as per subject line ;)

sole trader
sub 20k turnover
nothing complicated

Jim K

Totally unnecessary at that level, if you have at least half a brain.

MBQ

******

Any man who denies it is a liar. How about you?

Doesn't alter what I said, unless, of course, you *don't* have half a
brain. You should cut down on the w*****g, and develop the business.
One day it nay be large enough to make an accountant worthwhile. Then
you can use the time saved to go play with yourself.

MBQ

tosser

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 26, 5:42 pm, "Man at B&Q" wrote:
On 26 Jan, 14:45, "Arfa Daily" wrote:

"Man at B&Q" wrote in ...

On 26 Jan, 11:01, "Arfa Daily" wrote:
I'd agree that an accountant is totally unnecessary at that level.
Money

I think that a decent accountant is worth his weight.

I know two people - one had a small shop, and the other was a jobbing
builder - who did not employ an accountant.

Were they both sub 20K turnover in today's money? If not, what point
are you trying to make?

MBQ

It makes no difference whether they were sub 20k or not.

It does to the OP and that's who (and only who) the advice was aimed
at. For sub-20K it's not worth paying an accountant if you have half a
brain.

MBQ

TOSSER

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:
Didn't know haircuts were an allowable expense for the self employed.
Wonder if I can submit a retrospective claim?

Derrrr ... It wasn't about claiming against haircuts. It was about
adding up the total cost of his lifestyle, and setting it against what
his tax return claimed he was earning ...

I dunno how many haircuts I have in a year. And I'd say it very
unreasonable for the ILR to expect anyone to remember this sort of thing
accurately.

--
*I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Never-the-less, they did ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Arfa Daily wrote:
I'd say it unreasonable to expect a self employed type - like a
builder - to keep such receipts anyway. Not that I've ever been given
a receipt after having my hair cut. They're usually self employed too.
;-)

And so you begin to understand the apparent nightmare - lasting months,
and including Spanish Inquisition-style interviews, that being
investigated by them, is ...

I did have a problem with them after my first few years as self employed
where I'd done my own tax returns.

That's when I found my accountant. He took them to the cleaners, rather
than the other way round...

--
*I love cats...they taste just like chicken.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Thus underlining the wisdom of having an accountant on your side ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 10:44:35 +0000 Lobster wrote :
I'm self-employed, and don't use an accountant (though I have in the
past), and have always thought that one of these random investigations
would be my worst nightmare.

Every penny of my income is paid by bank transfer or occasionally
cheque, and it's not the sort of business where you'd ever expect cash
payments to be made, ie there's no opportunity for tax evasion even if I
wanted to. My allowable expenses are (sadly!) absolutely minimal too.
I wonder whether I am equally likely to get a random inquisition, or
would I just not look attractive enough as a proposition??

If they pick on you, do they always do the full
'trousers-down-and-bend-over' routine, or do they only go that far if
they're still suspicious after making preliminary enquiries?

In my early days of having my own company (in UK) I got a VAT inspection -
bolshy guy in his 20s who was determined to find something and spent all
morning trying to (there was nothing to find) apart from a few
technicalities like undated VAT invoices from suppliers (their names were
noted for visits!).

Finally he asked me whether I had any audited accounts, which I produced.
After another half hour I was called over and formally cautioned. He then
asked why the accounts showed £28K of sales (this was 1980s) whilst my
first four VAT returns only declared £22K. I politely pointed out that the
first accounts were for a 15 month trading period, whereupon (in the words
of the NoW RIP) he made his excuses and left.

When I did my second degree we had a film on tax inspections, and
apparently the favourite line they follow for businesses to whom it
applies (i.e. not pure services) is to project the expenditure on
purchases on to sales - if you're buying paint by the barrel but show
minimal income from painting, something is going on. The comment was that
people somehow forget to declare income but never forget outgoings!

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

A company that I worked for many years ago, had a VAT inspection. Same sort
of thing, except this was two guys who sat huddled up a corner poring over
papers and their calculators, for two days. Eventually, the only thing that
they could come up with was that the company had been claiming VAT back on
pub meals or restaurant meals that the sales guys had taken clients out to.
Turned out that they had to have separate receipts. You could claim the VAT
back on the client's meal, but not the salesman's ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 13:56:43 +0000 Unknown wrote :
Since I went over to clipper (very short) cuts, I need to have my hair
cut every five weeks - by then it's starting to feel uncomfortable -
and I do so. Cost here is A$15, £10, and I only have to go downstairs
(street level of my tower is shops)

Get yourself a beard trimmer and DIY, in the spirit of this group. I've
been doing that for many years now and it only takes a couple of minutes
every 2 weeks. A beard trimmer cost around £20 last time I looked.

Since a clipper cut is done with a plastic spacer comb on standard clippers
I have been told to just DIY as you can't go wrong. But discretion is the
better part of valour.

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tony Bryer wrote
Unknown wrote

Since I went over to clipper (very short) cuts, I need to have my hair
cut every five weeks - by then it's starting to feel uncomfortable -
and I do so. Cost here is A$15, £10, and I only have to go downstairs
(street level of my tower is shops)

Get yourself a beard trimmer and DIY, in the spirit of this group. I've
been doing that for many years now and it only takes a couple of minutes
every 2 weeks. A beard trimmer cost around £20 last time I looked.

Since a clipper cut is done with a plastic spacer comb on standard
clippers

I don't even bother with the spacer comb, do it without that.

I have been told to just DIY as you can't go wrong.

Whoever said that is right.

But discretion is the better part of valour.

This is DIY, you deserve to be publicly flogged
if you had not enjoyed that so much the last time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 16:18:38 +0000, Roland Perry wrote:

It would have been the revenue looking for spending of income that
didn't offically exist. ie spending the earnings from "cash jobs".

Boggle. How did they even know he was paying for haircuts, without
receipts?

They ask the hairdresser... See other comments about merchants being
asked for their sales records then cross referencing with declared jobs
by those customers or restraunts buying more goods than the declared
sales can account for.

Even if you manage to hide "cash jobs" both input and output, there may
well be records held by others of transactions taking place that link
directly to you.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 09:59:17 +0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 16:18:38 +0000, Roland Perry wrote:

It would have been the revenue looking for spending of income that
didn't offically exist. ie spending the earnings from "cash jobs".

Boggle. How did they even know he was paying for haircuts, without
receipts?

They ask the hairdresser... See other comments about merchants being
asked for their sales records then cross referencing with declared jobs
by those customers or restraunts buying more goods than the declared
sales can account for.

Even if you manage to hide "cash jobs" both input and output, there may
well be records held by others of transactions taking place that link
directly to you.

Interesting to read an old Dick Francis book called 'Risk'. The main
protagonist gets kidnapped and into all sorts of scrapes. He is an
accountant, in a small town, and just knows too much about a lot of local
businesses - one of which has a lot to hide.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Jan 2013 11:28:27 GMT, Huge wrote:

I was talking to a tax inspector I met on holiday once, and she said
that most tax evaders are very stupid.

The clever ones don't get caught...

It's not unknown for them to walk out of the tax office, having pleaded
poverty, and get into a luxury car.

Ah but poverty is relative. Like that silly tart complaining that they
couldn't live without the Child Benefit they currently get with a
household income more than £100,000.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message o.uk, at
09:59:17 on Mon, 28 Jan 2013, Dave Liquorice
remarked:
It would have been the revenue looking for spending of income that
didn't offically exist. ie spending the earnings from "cash jobs".

Boggle. How did they even know he was paying for haircuts, without
receipts?

They ask the hairdresser...

It's a long time since I've been to a hairdresser, but do they ask for
ID these days?

See other comments about merchants being asked for their sales records
then cross referencing with declared jobs by those customers or
restraunts buying more goods than the declared sales can account for.

Even if you manage to hide "cash jobs" both input and output, there may
well be records held by others of transactions taking place that link
directly to you.

I've been struggling to think back over the last 40 years and whether
anyone has ever paid me in cash (for work done either employed or self
employed - not some old furniture sold on eBay). And I honestly can't
think of a single time.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-01-27, stuart noble wrote:
if you're buying paint by the barrel but show
minimal income from painting, something is going on. The comment was
that
people somehow forget to declare income but never forget outgoings!

Like the Chinese takeaway caught out by buying too many food containers
for the declared amount of sales. The tax people don't need to be very
clever.

I was talking to a tax inspector I met on holiday once, and she said that
most tax evaders are very stupid. It's not unknown for them to walk out
of the tax office, having pleaded poverty, and get into a luxury car.

Many years ago our neighbour used to work "on the print".

By working the weekend shifts he could earn as much as a person working
normal M-F shifts, but because he wasn't working M-F he was (then) still
entitled to sign on as unemployed.

He used to comment that he didn't think it right for him to turn up to sign
on in his new car

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote:
On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 16:18:38 +0000, Roland Perry wrote:

It would have been the revenue looking for spending of income that
didn't offically exist. ie spending the earnings from "cash jobs".

Boggle. How did they even know he was paying for haircuts, without
receipts?

They ask the hairdresser...

[snip]

Being a professional ******* seems to be a qualification for the job.

A few years ago the gummint told the branch of gummint I was working for
that they should "absorb" job losses in other departments. Some of the
promising ones were sent for assessment and I was one of the assessors. One
guy was very promising ex HMRC so numerate and fairly sharp. At the end of
the session we went to a local restaurant. He spent most of the night
apparently chatting up the woman restaurant owner. Lots if compliments,
expressions of sympathy that she must be run off her feet, expressed
surprise when she said this was a quiet night. So he asked which nights
were busy and she told him.

On the way back to the hotel he rang a mate working at HMRC and told him
the restaurant should be inspected for under-declaring turnover because he
had seen some dodgy handling of cash and had noticed POS terminals that
seemed to be set up to send money to different merchant accounts. He passed
the details of the number of covers that night and the information about
which nights were busy.

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
[...]

Other way around!

(Entertaining is not reclaimable, staff subsistence is)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 28, 1:05*pm, "tim....." wrote:
"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Tony Bryer, *Greentram: 'Software to build on',
Melbourne, Australia * * *www.greentram.com

A company that I worked for many years ago, had a VAT inspection. Same
sort of thing, except this was two guys who sat huddled up a corner poring
over papers and their calculators, for two days. Eventually, the only
thing that they could come up with was that the company had been claiming
VAT back on pub meals or restaurant meals that the sales guys had taken
clients out to. Turned out that they had to have separate receipts. You
could claim the VAT back on the client's meal, but not the salesman's ....

Other way around!

(Entertaining is not reclaimable, staff subsistence is)

Yep. Or at least we always have to provide VAT receipts for
subsistence.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/01/2013 13:05, tim..... wrote:

Other way around!

(Entertaining is not reclaimable, staff subsistence is)

tim

Entertaining of foreign visitors used to be ...

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim..... wrote:
By working the weekend shifts he could earn as much as a person working
normal M-F shifts, but because he wasn't working M-F he was (then) still
entitled to sign on as unemployed.

He wouldn't have got unemployment benefit, though - only his stamp paid.

--
*Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim..... wrote:
By working the weekend shifts he could earn as much as a person working
normal M-F shifts, but because he wasn't working M-F he was (then) still
entitled to sign on as unemployed.

He wouldn't have got unemployment benefit, though - only his stamp paid.

This was, um 1973 ish.

The above is the story that he told.

IIRC he (claimed to have) got 4/5ths of the weekly amount because he worked
Friday only as per the (then) rules defining days worked. His working on
Sat/Sun night wasn't counted.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message

g, at 13:04:22 on Mon, 28 Jan 2013, Steve Firth
remarked:
At the end of the session we went to a local restaurant. He spent most
of the night apparently chatting up the woman restaurant owner. Lots if
compliments, expressions of sympathy that she must be run off her feet,
expressed surprise when she said this was a quiet night. So he asked
which nights were busy and she told him.

They (and the breweries who have revenue streams to protect) do the same
to pubs on a regular basis. But none of this identifies the individuals
spending their hard-earned^H^H^H^Hlaundered cash in such places.
--
Roland Perry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tim....." wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
[...]

Well, it was a long time ago, and at least I got it basically right ! :-)

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 12:34:06 +0000, Roland Perry wrote:

Boggle. How did they even know he was paying for haircuts, without
receipts?

They ask the hairdresser...

It's a long time since I've been to a hairdresser, but do they ask for
ID these days?

No need, they'll have asked you for the hairdresser normally used and
take your picture when they visit to verify that what you told them is
more or less correct.

I've been struggling to think back over the last 40 years and whether
anyone has ever paid me in cash (for work done either employed or self
employed - not some old furniture sold on eBay). And I honestly can't
think of a single time.

Same here. I hardly use any cash at all these days, which would make
hiding a cash job very difficult. Don't buy groceries on the CC for a
couple of weeks, why? It obviously can't go into a bank account to pay
the bills that are on DD or STO...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-01-27, Nick Odell wrote:

OT, OT but in the same, same vein, the Argentine tax authorities have
performed acts that can only be described as sheer genius - unless you
happen to be an Argentine tax-payer, that is.

Given that the Argentine government have confiscated the contents of private
pension schemes, twice, I don't blame people for not wanting to pay taxes
there.

Confiscated? No, no, no: rescued. I distictly heard la reina Cristina
say that she was protecting future pensioners from the ravages of the
commercial market. And she didn't mention the then upcoming payments
crisis at all, no, no, no.

Nick