Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OpenTherm - worth it?

Having our boiler replaced I was happily going along with the
recommendation of a WB Greenstar 18Ri with HoneywellCM927 until I came
across the concept of OpenTherm and modulating direct boiler controls.

It appears that WB don't offer an OpenTherm boiler, (at least not in the
size we need - haven't looked at the larger ones), so we'd have to look
elsewhere.

Would modulating controls be worth considering?

--
Simon

12) The Second Rule of Expectations
An EXPECTATION is a Premeditated resentment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/01/2013 16:47, usenet2012 wrote:

Having our boiler replaced I was happily going along with the
recommendation of a WB Greenstar 18Ri with HoneywellCM927 until I came
across the concept of OpenTherm and modulating direct boiler controls.

It appears that WB don't offer an OpenTherm boiler, (at least not in the
size we need - haven't looked at the larger ones), so we'd have to look
elsewhere.

Would modulating controls be worth considering?

They are probably most worthwhile when combined with an external
temperature sensor to give full weather compensation. That way the
system can not only take into account the actual room temp and the
desired temp, but also how cold it actually is. However, even without
external sensors you ought to get tighter temperature control and
increased comfort and some gain in efficiency, since the boiler will be
running the lowest temps it can for the circumstances.

--
Cheers,

John.