Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

Default Hi-fi shelf

If you get an IKEA chopping board:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30087148/

and turn it upside-down and back-to-front, it makes a very nice wall
shelf for hi-fi equipment.

The lip makes it look very smart from the front (the little food-safe
branding on the side edge adds a touch of whimsy).

You need to cut it down, because it's deeper front-to-back (53cm) than
it needs to be even for a record player (about 41cm).

The width is ideal. Of course, the care instructions say to oil it
regularly, but that's mainly to help achieve a smooth, natural sound.

IKEA is like Lego for grown-ups, if you're not careful.

Daniele
--
Kraftwerk Consolation Night
20.00 1st March 2013 Chapter Arts Centre Cardiff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:

If you get an IKEA chopping board:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30087148/

and turn it upside-down and back-to-front, it makes a very nice wall
shelf for hi-fi equipment.

All you need to finish the job is one of those "toblerone" slot-mounting
brackets that someone was looking for the other day, I've got one
stashed somewhere ... that I used to use to hold a Hi-Fi shelf!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

D.M. Procida wrote:

If you get an IKEA chopping board:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30087148/

and turn it upside-down and back-to-front, it makes a very nice wall
shelf for hi-fi equipment.

All you need to finish the job is one of those "toblerone" slot-mounting
brackets that someone was looking for the other day, I've got one
stashed somewhere ... that I used to use to hold a Hi-Fi shelf!

Surely not; for a little glass shelf holding a shaving brush and your
toothpaste, that would be OK. For a shelf supporting an amplifier?

It would work on the same principle as a a tool for levering screws out
of the wall.

Daniele
--
Kraftwerk Consolation Night
20.00 1st March 2013 Chapter Arts Centre Cardiff
Eight different live ensembles playing the songs of Kraftwerk to ease
the disappointment of being unable to get tickets to see them in London
Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

one of those "toblerone" slot-mounting brackets

Surely not; for a little glass shelf holding a shaving brush and your
toothpaste, that would be OK. For a shelf supporting an amplifier?

It held up my amp, CD player, tape deck & tuner for about 15 years.

It would work on the same principle as a a tool for levering screws out
of the wall.

No, it was rock solid, the bracket supporting along the full width of
the shelf.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

D.M. Procida wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

one of those "toblerone" slot-mounting brackets

Surely not; for a little glass shelf holding a shaving brush and your
toothpaste, that would be OK. For a shelf supporting an amplifier?

It held up my amp, CD player, tape deck & tuner for about 15 years.

It would work on the same principle as a a tool for levering screws out
of the wall.

No, it was rock solid, the bracket supporting along the full width of
the shelf.

I will take your word for it, but I don't really understand how.

Daniele
--
Kraftwerk Consolation Night
20.00 1st March 2013 Chapter Arts Centre Cardiff
Eight different live ensembles playing the songs of Kraftwerk to ease
the disappointment of being unable to get tickets to see them in London

Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M. Procida wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:

D.M. Procida wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

one of those "toblerone" slot-mounting brackets

Surely not; for a little glass shelf holding a shaving brush and
your toothpaste, that would be OK. For a shelf supporting an
amplifier?

It held up my amp, CD player, tape deck & tuner for about 15 years.

It would work on the same principle as a a tool for levering screws
out of the wall.

No, it was rock solid, the bracket supporting along the full width of
the shelf.

I will take your word for it, but I don't really understand how.

Daniele

Correct number and size of screws for the job, along with the correct metal
for the screw and you'll be surprised what they will hold up.

Many DiYers use drill bits, plugs and screws without any thought as to what
they are fixing into, weight of what they will carry and the best place to
put them to resist 'leverage'.

Now, what I want is a couple of exceptional 'hidden' fixings to hold a
toilet roll holder to a Paramount partition that is absolutely SWMBO proof.
How she does it, I don't know, but she has managed to pull every damn fixing
out of the plasterboard that I have used to hold that bog roll holder in
place!!

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

It would work on the same principle as a a tool for levering screws out
of the wall.

No, it was rock solid, the bracket supporting along the full width of
the shelf.

AOL

I have the same sort of bracket supporting a marble shelf above the bath
which takes the bath taps and shower mixer. I was really unsure that it
would take the weight, but it has been rock solid for over a decade of
use.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cash" wrote in message

Now, what I want is a couple of exceptional 'hidden' fixings to hold a
toilet roll holder to a Paramount partition that is absolutely SWMBO
proof. How she does it, I don't know, but she has managed to pull every
damn fixing out of the plasterboard that I have used to hold that bog roll
holder in place!!

Cash

Have you tried toggle bolts - if they fail then there is no hope!

Alan

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

"D.M. Procida" wrote...
If you get an IKEA chopping board:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30087148/

and turn it upside-down and back-to-front, it makes a very nice wall
shelf for hi-fi equipment.

The lip makes it look very smart from the front (the little food-safe
branding on the side edge adds a touch of whimsy).

You need to cut it down, because it's deeper front-to-back (53cm) than
it needs to be even for a record player (about 41cm).

The width is ideal. Of course, the care instructions say to oil it
regularly, but that's mainly to help achieve a smooth, natural sound.

IKEA is like Lego for grown-ups, if you're not careful.

Seeing your Kraftwerksuchelichkeit...And considering that you may indulge in
"a hidden arithmetic exercise of the soul, which does not know that it is
counting"...

The Rast bedside table http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/44361109/
with a piece of batten screwed and glued each side takes a decent amount of
19" rack-mount hardware, mine have synth modules, sampler, effects units,
12-channel rack mixer etc., turned wrong-way-up they leave a nice space for
"domestic" gear without racking ears - and a fair amount cheaper than the
music shops ask for the same in MDF! The TV wall mounting brackets (ex 14"
CRT and available on Freegle etc.) make good poseable places for mixers etc.
too...

Dave H. (the other one)

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

On 13/01/2013 11:47, D.M. Procida wrote:
If you get an IKEA chopping board:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30087148/

and turn it upside-down and back-to-front, it makes a very nice wall
shelf for hi-fi equipment.

The lip makes it look very smart from the front (the little food-safe
branding on the side edge adds a touch of whimsy).

You need to cut it down, because it's deeper front-to-back (53cm) than
it needs to be even for a record player (about 41cm).

The width is ideal. Of course, the care instructions say to oil it
regularly, but that's mainly to help achieve a smooth, natural sound.

IKEA is like Lego for grown-ups, if you're not careful.

Daniele

Be careful how you fix it..

its made of narrow strips of beech (about 2" wide) glued together.

the strips run parallel to the lip so you probably can't use a
cantilever bracket to fix it at the rear edge but you can at the sides.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

news.virginmedia.com wrote:

The Rast bedside table http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/44361109/
with a piece of batten screwed and glued each side takes a decent amount of
19" rack-mount hardware

I thought the Lack table was the classic IKEA 19" rackmount conversion?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

"Andy Burns" wrote...
The Rast bedside table
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/44361109/
with a piece of batten screwed and glued each side takes a decent amount
of
19" rack-mount hardware

I thought the Lack table was the classic IKEA 19" rackmount conversion?

If you've money *not* to spend on the gear going in it, perhaps! Two of 'em
and the difference is enough for a pair of patch-panels off Ebay and a bag
of patchleads...

Dave H. (the other one, always a cheapskate)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/01/2013 15:39, Andy Bartlett wrote:
"Cash" wrote in message

Now, what I want is a couple of exceptional 'hidden' fixings to hold a
toilet roll holder to a Paramount partition that is absolutely SWMBO
proof. How she does it, I don't know, but she has managed to pull every
damn fixing out of the plasterboard that I have used to hold that bog roll
holder in place!!

Cash

Have you tried toggle bolts - if they fail then there is no hope!

Alan

If they fail, there would also be a couple of biggish holes to fill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/01/2013 12:29, D.M. Procida wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:

Surely not; for a little glass shelf holding a shaving brush and your
toothpaste, that would be OK. For a shelf supporting an amplifier?

I have two types of those shelf supports.

The full length ones currently have shelves with equivalent of probably
10x the weight of a hi-fi system

I have a 2 metre shelf in the kitchen held up with 3 triangular fixings,
each around 25mmm long. It has 10 packs of drinks cans (6 cans per pack)
stored on it with various pans/pots.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Bartlett wrote:
"Cash" wrote in message

Now, what I want is a couple of exceptional 'hidden' fixings to hold
a toilet roll holder to a Paramount partition that is absolutely
SWMBO proof. How she does it, I don't know, but she has managed to
pull every damn fixing out of the plasterboard that I have used to
hold that bog roll holder in place!!

Cash

Have you tried toggle bolts - if they fail then there is no hope!

Alan

Alan,

That's being done once I get into the workshop to produce a hardwood
backboard that can be bolted to the wall with the aforsaid toggles, and a
couple of screws fitted to it to slide the bog roll holder over to hold it -
its taken me around 3 years to persuade SWMBO to let me do that to cure the
problem once and for all.

I'm only an old chippie by trade, and after nearly 50 years of married life,
how the hell should I know better than SWMBO? :-)

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.audio

On Jan 13, 4:30*pm, "news.virginmedia.com"
wrote:
"Andy Burns" wrote...
The Rast bedside table
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/44361109/
with a piece of batten screwed and glued each side takes a decent amount
of
19" rack-mount hardware

I thought the Lack table was the classic IKEA 19" rackmount conversion?

If you've money *not* to spend on the gear going in it, perhaps! Two of 'em
and the difference is enough for a pair of patch-panels off Ebay and a bag
of patchleads...

Dave H. (the other one, always a cheapskate)

Its the Lack side table at a fiver that makes the lowest cost Lackrack

http://wiki.eth0.nl/index.php/LackRack

Cheers
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cash" wrote:

Now, what I want is a couple of exceptional 'hidden' fixings to hold a
toilet roll holder to a Paramount partition that is absolutely SWMBO proof.
How she does it, I don't know, but she has managed to pull every damn fixing
out of the plasterboard that I have used to hold that bog roll holder in
place!!

Try lateral thinking. Use one of these instead. It also means
that you can have up to 3 additional rolls in reserve.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00162549/

GRUNDTAL
Toilet roll stand, stainless steel
£6.25

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon wrote:
"Cash" wrote:

Now, what I want is a couple of exceptional 'hidden' fixings to hold
a toilet roll holder to a Paramount partition that is absolutely
SWMBO proof. How she does it, I don't know, but she has managed to
pull every damn fixing out of the plasterboard that I have used to
hold that bog roll holder in place!!

Try lateral thinking. Use one of these instead. It also means
that you can have up to 3 additional rolls in reserve.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00162549/

GRUNDTAL
Toilet roll stand, stainless steel
£6.25

Chris

Chris,

Thanks for the link, but there is nowhere to put it safely in the bathroom.

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Jan 2013 14:45:09 -0000, "Cash"
wrote:

Now, what I want is a couple of exceptional 'hidden' fixings to hold a
toilet roll holder to a Paramount partition that is absolutely SWMBO proof.
How she does it, I don't know, but she has managed to pull every damn fixing
out of the plasterboard that I have used to hold that bog roll holder in
place!!

She's probably wiping her arse on the roll itself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Now, what I want is a couple of exceptional 'hidden' fixings to hold
a toilet roll holder to a Paramount partition that is absolutely
SWMBO proof. How she does it, I don't know, but she has managed to
pull every damn fixing out of the plasterboard that I have used to
hold that bog roll holder in place!!

She's probably wiping her arse on the roll itself.

I wouldn't like to be in your shoes Grimly if you said that to her face!

I suppose tho' that by making such a suggestion, you must be speaking from
personal experience within your own household?

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

No Brian. it's a problem with the Paramount wall and the fixings for the
type of holder that she wanted fitted - the location of it on the wall
prevents it being used as a makeshift handrail. BTW, SWMBO is rather fit for
her age and has yet to succumb to the creaking joints syndrome - lucky
perisher.

Cash

Brian Gaff wrote:
I'd imagine she uses it as a hand hold when getting up. What you need
is a collapsing device that just slots back in again.
Brian

"Cash" wrote:

Now, what I want is a couple of exceptional 'hidden' fixings to
hold a toilet roll holder to a Paramount partition that is
absolutely SWMBO proof.
How she does it, I don't know, but she has managed to pull every
damn fixing
out of the plasterboard that I have used to hold that bog roll
holder in place!!

Try lateral thinking. Use one of these instead. It also means
that you can have up to 3 additional rolls in reserve.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00162549/

GRUNDTAL
Toilet roll stand, stainless steel
£6.25

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 15:56:35 -0000, "Cash"
wrote:

She's probably wiping her arse on the roll itself.

I wouldn't like to be in your shoes Grimly if you said that to her face!

I suppose tho' that by making such a suggestion, you must be speaking from
personal experience within your own household?

Simply tell her not to do it until it pings the fittings off the wall.

help converting a (adjustable) shelf into a pull out shelf harsh Woodworking 2 June 13th 06 09:59 PM
Shelf Brian In Hampton Woodworking 4 April 22nd 06 11:21 PM
This Old Shelf? Tom Watson Woodworking 4 May 2nd 05 04:09 AM
Shelf Jo Home Repair 3 May 5th 04 01:36 AM
Shelf barry martin Home Repair 0 May 4th 04 07:10 PM