Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default OT Mechanic tosspot

Just noticed that on my bill from the garage that I was charged for
adjusting the washer jets on my van when it had a few repairs done after
it's MOT failure.

Call me old fashioned but I preferred them when they were adjusted so that
the screenwash actually hit the windscreen and did not go over the roof. And
the reason that one of them was aimed low was so that when I used them the
wiper spread the screenwash all over the screen ensuring a clean windscreen.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
Just noticed that on my bill from the garage that I was charged for
adjusting the washer jets on my van when it had a few repairs done after
it's MOT failure.

Call me old fashioned but I preferred them when they were adjusted so that
the screenwash actually hit the windscreen and did not go over the roof.
And the reason that one of them was aimed low was so that when I used them
the wiper spread the screenwash all over the screen ensuring a clean
windscreen.

--
Adam

My garage is very good, but he is not cheap.
For the past two years he has charged me a quid for topping up the washer
bottle even though it was full.
I think he charges for this out of habit.
He won't do it this service; I will mention it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 6 Jan 2013 13:23:58 -0000
"ARW" wrote:

Just noticed that on my bill from the garage that I was charged for
adjusting the washer jets on my van when it had a few repairs done
after it's MOT failure.

Call me old fashioned but I preferred them when they were adjusted so
that the screenwash actually hit the windscreen and did not go over
the roof. And the reason that one of them was aimed low was so that
when I used them the wiper spread the screenwash all over the screen
ensuring a clean windscreen.

If you were not given the option of having the work done or not, then
you shouldn't have to pay for it. Reinforce that fact by asking them to
put them back the way they were.
Unless they can prove that they way they were was a violation of the
MOT, in which case it should have been on the 'Reasons for
Failure' list.
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Mr Pounder wrote:
"ARW" wrote in message
Just noticed that on my bill from the garage that I was charged for
adjusting the washer jets on my van when it had a few repairs done
after it's MOT failure.

Call me old fashioned but I preferred them when they were adjusted
so that the screenwash actually hit the windscreen and did not go
over the roof. And the reason that one of them was aimed low was so
that when I used them the wiper spread the screenwash all over the
screen ensuring a clean windscreen.

--
Adam

My garage is very good, but he is not cheap.
For the past two years he has charged me a quid for topping up the
washer bottle even though it was full.
I think he charges for this out of habit.
He won't do it this service; I will mention it.

Still, that garage is better than the one a few years ago that charged me
for replacing the NS fog lamp and OS reversing light bulbs on my Berlingo. I
complained and they refunded me the cost of the MOT and the cost of fitting
the non existant bulbs.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Davey wrote:
On Sun, 6 Jan 2013 13:23:58 -0000
"ARW" wrote:

Just noticed that on my bill from the garage that I was charged for
adjusting the washer jets on my van when it had a few repairs done
after it's MOT failure.

Call me old fashioned but I preferred them when they were adjusted
so that the screenwash actually hit the windscreen and did not go
over the roof. And the reason that one of them was aimed low was so
that when I used them the wiper spread the screenwash all over the
screen ensuring a clean windscreen.

If you were not given the option of having the work done or not, then
you shouldn't have to pay for it. Reinforce that fact by asking them
to put them back the way they were.
Unless they can prove that they way they were was a violation of the
MOT, in which case it should have been on the 'Reasons for
Failure' list.

It was not on the failure sheet. The failures were a ball joint and an
insecure spare wheel. It was not on the advisory list.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mr Pounder
writes

"ARW" wrote in message
Just noticed that on my bill from the garage that I was charged for
adjusting the washer jets on my van when it had a few repairs done after
it's MOT failure.

Call me old fashioned but I preferred them when they were adjusted so that
the screenwash actually hit the windscreen and did not go over the roof.
And the reason that one of them was aimed low was so that when I used them
the wiper spread the screenwash all over the screen ensuring a clean
windscreen.

--
Adam

My garage is very good, but he is not cheap.
For the past two years he has charged me a quid for topping up the washer
bottle even though it was full.
I think he charges for this out of habit.
He won't do it this service; I will mention it.

An insurance repair place tried to charge for re-gassing the aircon when
it wasn't fitted.

I think the office just use standard charges for your particular
vehicle.

Ours was a Ford Focus where aircon was an option. I am still waiting to
need the one fitted to our Fiesta:-(

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , Mr Pounder
writes

"ARW" wrote in message
[...]

His wife does the billing in longhand.

Ours was a Ford Focus where aircon was an option. I am still waiting to
need the one fitted to our Fiesta:-(

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mr Pounder
writes

My garage is very good, but he is not cheap.
For the past two years he has charged me a quid for topping up the washer
bottle even though it was full.
I think he charges for this out of habit.
He won't do it this service; I will mention it.

20 years ago a cow-orker was complaining that her service bill included
topping up to screen washers, even though they were full when the car
went in. The excuse was that they had to test the washers, so had to
refill them.

He picked the wrong person to pull that one on, as she no doubt
explained in her usual inimitable style.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "diy" with "news" and reverse the domain

If you are reading this from a web interface eg DIY Banter,
DIY Forum or Google Groups, please be aware this is NOT a forum, and
you are merely using a web portal to a USENET group. Many people block
posters coming from web portals due to perceieved SPAM or inaneness.
For a better method of access, please see:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 6 Jan 2013 13:59:44 -0000
"ARW" wrote:

Davey wrote:
On Sun, 6 Jan 2013 13:23:58 -0000
"ARW" wrote:

[...]

In that case, he should not have done it without asking you first.
Using that basis, he could do an engine change, and then charge you for
it.
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes, I think they fail to take into account airfolw if the vehicle is
moving. I've often been sprayed with wash when walking along on the
footway, so god knows where some jets are aimed.

Brian

Email:

"ARW" wrote in message
Just noticed that on my bill from the garage that I was charged for
adjusting the washer jets on my van when it had a few repairs done after
it's MOT failure.

Call me old fashioned but I preferred them when they were adjusted so that
the screenwash actually hit the windscreen and did not go over the roof.
And the reason that one of them was aimed low was so that when I used them
the wiper spread the screenwash all over the screen ensuring a clean
windscreen.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 18:49:25 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

Yes, I think they fail to take into account airfolw if the vehicle is
moving. I've often been sprayed with wash when walking along on the
footway, so god knows where some jets are aimed.

At cyclists?