Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tacky rubber/plastics

I've noticed that a couple of bits of my car seem to be undergoing some
kind of chemical change.

The volume control on the radio and the door of the glove box are
slightly tacky to the touch.

Having seen what happens to the drive belts of film projectors and the
seals of old cameras when the rubber perishes, I'd like to stop this
process before it goes any further.

What's actually going on, and what might help retard it?

Daniele
--
Kraftwerk Consolation Night
20.00 1st March 2013 Chapter Arts Centre Cardiff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2013 10:26, D.M. Procida wrote:
I've noticed that a couple of bits of my car seem to be undergoing some
kind of chemical change.

The volume control on the radio and the door of the glove box are
slightly tacky to the touch.

Having seen what happens to the drive belts of film projectors and the
seals of old cameras when the rubber perishes, I'd like to stop this
process before it goes any further.

What's actually going on, and what might help retard it?

You can't do much to slow it down as environmental as factors like UV
and ozone are mainly responsible for causing the rubbery plastic to
depolymerise. My Psion3 failed exactly the same way - ultimately the
plastic turned into black goo which dripped off like potty putty.

Best bet is to apply something inert and powdery to soak up the
tackiness or overcoat it with something that isn't tacky at all. I have
never found a satisfactory solution to the demise of such plastics.

Replacing the failing parts with new ones might be the best bet.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dunno but I've had it happen to tape recorder belts, white cane handles and
a pressure roller in a tape deck, in the latter case the eventual result was
one morning a pile of goo in the machine and just the metal centre on the
spindle.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"D.M. Procida" wrote in
I've noticed that a couple of bits of my car seem to be undergoing some
kind of chemical change.

The volume control on the radio and the door of the glove box are
slightly tacky to the touch.

Having seen what happens to the drive belts of film projectors and the
seals of old cameras when the rubber perishes, I'd like to stop this
process before it goes any further.

What's actually going on, and what might help retard it?

Daniele
--
Kraftwerk Consolation Night
20.00 1st March 2013 Chapter Arts Centre Cardiff
Eight different live ensembles playing the songs of Kraftwerk to ease
the disappointment of being unable to get tickets to see them in London

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not sure what these are made of, I'd have said rubber, but I suppose there
are these days so many inbetweeny type materials its had to classify.
Obviously some kind of bonding is involved that comes unbonded at the
molecular level.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Martin Brown" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2013 17:04, Brian Gaff wrote:
Dunno but I've had it happen to tape recorder belts, white cane handles and
a pressure roller in a tape deck, in the latter case the eventual result was
one morning a pile of goo in the machine and just the metal centre on the
spindle.

Brian

Latest is the grippy bit of my electric toothbrush. Not sure how old it
is but the rechargeable battery only now lasts hours intead of days

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian Gaff
writes
Dunno but I've had it happen to tape recorder belts, white cane handles and
a pressure roller in a tape deck, in the latter case the eventual result was
one morning a pile of goo in the machine and just the metal centre on the
spindle.

Same thing happened to the seed metering/dispensers on a range of
agricultural seed drills:-(

They seemed to last about 10 years before metamorphosing to a pile of
mush:-(

Set for my drill was about £400!

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 Jan 2013 17:04:47 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

Dunno but I've had it happen to tape recorder belts, white cane handles
and a pressure roller in a tape deck, in the latter case the eventual
result was one morning a pile of goo in the machine and just the metal
centre on the spindle.

BTDT, many a time: http://www.patooie.com/temp/roller.jpg

I don't think there's a known cure for it, and nor is it necessarily down
to environmental conditions (such as humidity or exposure to UV). Best
advice I've got for the OP is to start searching for replacement parts
from a donor vehicle.

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jules Richardson wrote:

On Wed, 02 Jan 2013 17:04:47 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

Dunno but I've had it happen to tape recorder belts, white cane handles
and a pressure roller in a tape deck, in the latter case the eventual
result was one morning a pile of goo in the machine and just the metal
centre on the spindle.

BTDT, many a time: http://www.patooie.com/temp/roller.jpg

I don't think there's a known cure for it, and nor is it necessarily down
to environmental conditions (such as humidity or exposure to UV). Best
advice I've got for the OP is to start searching for replacement parts
from a donor vehicle.

I think that we're paying for the recent mania for soft-touch plastics
all over the place.

Daniele
--
Kraftwerk Consolation Night
20.00 1st March 2013 Chapter Arts Centre Cardiff
Eight different live ensembles playing the songs of Kraftwerk to ease
the disappointment of being unable to get tickets to see them in London
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I actually had a pair of shoes do this. the soles were supposed to be made
of a special advanced composite for better grip.. Well I guess if its sticky
they were right about hat!
Brian

--
From the Bed of Brian Gaff.
The email is valid as
Jules Richardson wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian Gaff
writes
I actually had a pair of shoes do this. the soles were supposed to be made
of a special advanced composite for better grip.. Well I guess if its sticky
they were right about hat!

Likewise. Early '70's pair of suede *brothel creepers*.

I had been down on the shop floor doing some tests for residual
magnetism in a bearing component (magnetic chuck followed by tunnel
de-magnetiser) when I was called to give a report to assembled managers
in the conference room.

After the meeting my boss invited me to go and clean up the floor where
I had been sitting! Lubricating oil had destroyed the soles of my shoes.

Around that time, it was discovered that the air line oil used to
lubricate pneumatic cylinders interfered with the piston seals which all
had to be changed to a *high nitrile* version.

Rather makes you wonder what the oil did to your lungs!
--
Tim Lamb