Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Source for tacky rubber sheeting

I'm about to make a ski vice. Skis aren't easy to get a grip on while
still giving unobstructed access to the edges and base. A common method
is to place the skis on blocks topped with some sort of rubber matting
that's incredibly tacky. You just invert the ski and put the upper
(glossy) surface of the ski on the tacky rubber and it stays put as if
by magic.

Any suggestions as to what this ultra-tacky rubber matting is called and
where I can get it? I've tried some of that rubber mesh intended for use
on car dashboards (similar to the stuff used to stop rugs slipping on
polished floors) and it didn't work anywhere near as well as the "real"
stuff.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Barnes" wrote in message
I'm about to make a ski vice. Skis aren't easy to get a grip on while
still giving unobstructed access to the edges and base. A common method
is to place the skis on blocks topped with some sort of rubber matting
that's incredibly tacky. You just invert the ski and put the upper
(glossy) surface of the ski on the tacky rubber and it stays put as if
by magic.

Any suggestions as to what this ultra-tacky rubber matting is called and
where I can get it? I've tried some of that rubber mesh intended for use
on car dashboards (similar to the stuff used to stop rugs slipping on
polished floors) and it didn't work anywhere near as well as the "real"
stuff.

ISTR pound shops etc sell a web-like rubbery sheet for various uses. Lining
drawers, using in the car, that kind of thing.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/2010 13:00, Mike Barnes wrote:
I'm about to make a ski vice. Skis aren't easy to get a grip on while
still giving unobstructed access to the edges and base. A common method
is to place the skis on blocks topped with some sort of rubber matting
that's incredibly tacky. You just invert the ski and put the upper
(glossy) surface of the ski on the tacky rubber and it stays put as if
by magic.

Any suggestions as to what this ultra-tacky rubber matting is called and
where I can get it? I've tried some of that rubber mesh intended for use
on car dashboards (similar to the stuff used to stop rugs slipping on
polished floors) and it didn't work anywhere near as well as the "real"
stuff.

I forget the name, but it used to be sold as non-slip matting for use on
boat tables and as a washable clean room entry mat. It also made
excellent tyres for an egg racing machine. To the best of my knowledge
it is a plastic, rather than rubber, product.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Barnes" wrote in message
I'm about to make a ski vice. Skis aren't easy to get a grip on while
still giving unobstructed access to the edges and base. A common method
is to place the skis on blocks topped with some sort of rubber matting
that's incredibly tacky. You just invert the ski and put the upper
(glossy) surface of the ski on the tacky rubber and it stays put as if
by magic.

Any suggestions as to what this ultra-tacky rubber matting is called and
where I can get it? I've tried some of that rubber mesh intended for use
on car dashboards (similar to the stuff used to stop rugs slipping on
polished floors) and it didn't work anywhere near as well as the "real"
stuff.

--
Mike Barnes

TackMats will probably do you: cut up, should last for ages:

http://www.tackmat.com/

There used also to be those rubber rollers for cleaning vinyl records that
were so tacky they would roll slowly down a window pane on their own.

Then there's:
http://ttpioneers.ping-pong.com/Prod...ProductID=SR55

Table tennis people like tacky rubber.

Then there's the trusty standby double sided tape.

Or you could mount a lot of rubber suckers on a plank,
Or even get some of those suckers for holding glass.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Oct, 13:00, Mike Barnes wrote:

Any suggestions as to what this ultra-tacky rubber matting is called and
where I can get it?

Hydrophillic rubber

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Spamlet" wrote in message

[...]

Or un roll a few of these:
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&x=0&...alias%3Dgarden

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/2010 21:19, newshound wrote:

Any suggestions as to what this ultra-tacky rubber matting is called and
where I can get it? I've tried some of that rubber mesh intended for use
on car dashboards (similar to the stuff used to stop rugs slipping on
polished floors) and it didn't work anywhere near as well as the "real"
stuff.

--
Mike Barnes

Dycem?

That's the name I was trying to recall.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound :

Any suggestions as to what this ultra-tacky rubber matting is called and
where I can get it? I've tried some of that rubber mesh intended for use
on car dashboards (similar to the stuff used to stop rugs slipping on
polished floors) and it didn't work anywhere near as well as the "real"
stuff.
-- Mike Barnes

Dycem?

I've Googled that and it looks like the right stuff. I'll get some,
thanks.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 23:15:48 +0100, Mike Barnes wrote:

newshound :

Any suggestions as to what this ultra-tacky rubber matting is called
and where I can get it? I've tried some of that rubber mesh intended
for use on car dashboards (similar to the stuff used to stop rugs
slipping on polished floors) and it didn't work anywhere near as well
as the "real" stuff.
-- Mike Barnes

Dycem?

I've Googled that and it looks like the right stuff. I'll get some,
thanks.

When I saw the Subject, I thought you might be after material to make a
rubber suit for erotic purposes or something...!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org