William R Hopcraft

Default source for rubber bushings

I'm restoring an old Boyer Schultz 612 surface grinder with a matching dust
collector. The wiring passes through rubber bushings in the machine's base.
The bushings are shot - all rotted away - and I need to find some
replacements. Any ideas where to look? 3/4" groove diameter, 1/2" groove
thickness, 1/2 inside diameter.

Garrett Fulton

"William R Hopcraft" wrote in message
I'm restoring an old Boyer Schultz 612 surface grinder with a matching

dust
collector. The wiring passes through rubber bushings in the machine's

base.
The bushings are shot - all rotted away - and I need to find some
replacements. Any ideas where to look? 3/4" groove diameter, 1/2" groove
thickness, 1/2 inside diameter.

The groove thickness is a little bigger than I've seen in automotive
firewall grommets, but you could slit two and attach them with epoxy from
either side. Grommets this size are used on large aircraft in many places.
You might try a local airport repair facility.

Garrett Fulton

Erik

In article ,
"William R Hopcraft" wrote:

I'm restoring an old Boyer Schultz 612 surface grinder with a matching dust
collector. The wiring passes through rubber bushings in the machine's base.
The bushings are shot - all rotted away - and I need to find some
replacements. Any ideas where to look? 3/4" groove diameter, 1/2" groove
thickness, 1/2 inside diameter.

Did you try McMaster Carr?

http://www.mcmaster.com

Don't have time to go and look right now...

Also, are you sure what your looking for isn't a 'grommet.'

Good Luck!

Erik
William R Hopcraft

In some catalogs these things are called "bushings" and in others they're
called "grommets". Regardless of what you call them, nobody (including
McMaster Carr) seems to have the size I need!

"Erik" wrote in message
In article ,
"William R Hopcraft" wrote:

I'm restoring an old Boyer Schultz 612 surface grinder with a matching

dust
collector. The wiring passes through rubber bushings in the machine's

base.
The bushings are shot - all rotted away - and I need to find some
replacements. Any ideas where to look? 3/4" groove diameter, 1/2"

groove
thickness, 1/2 inside diameter.

Did you try McMaster Carr?

http://www.mcmaster.com

Don't have time to go and look right now...

Also, are you sure what your looking for isn't a 'grommet.'

Good Luck!

Erik

Gunner

On Tue, 18 May 2004 11:30:31 GMT, "William R Hopcraft"
wrote:

In some catalogs these things are called "bushings" and in others they're
called "grommets". Regardless of what you call them, nobody (including
McMaster Carr) seems to have the size I need!

"Erik" wrote in message
In article ,
"William R Hopcraft" wrote:

I'm restoring an old Boyer Schultz 612 surface grinder with a matching

dust
collector. The wiring passes through rubber bushings in the machine's

base.
The bushings are shot - all rotted away - and I need to find some
replacements. Any ideas where to look? 3/4" groove diameter, 1/2"

groove
thickness, 1/2 inside diameter.

Did you try McMaster Carr?

http://www.mcmaster.com

Don't have time to go and look right now...

Also, are you sure what your looking for isn't a 'grommet.'

Good Luck!

Erik

They are easy enough to make from a rubber plug available from Home
Depot. Look for a rubber "cork" of the right size. Stick it in the
freezer over night, then run it out and drill the center hole. Stick
it over a rod, then turn the outside. Use a razor sharp HSS lathe tool
with a bit of positive rake.

Or you can do what I do..and simply put in a j box conduit fitting
with the liner. shrug..not original but keeps the wires from
abrading.

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's
cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays
there.
- George Orwell

Stan Schaefer

"William R Hopcraft" wrote in message . ..
I'm restoring an old Boyer Schultz 612 surface grinder with a matching dust
collector. The wiring passes through rubber bushings in the machine's base.
The bushings are shot - all rotted away - and I need to find some
replacements. Any ideas where to look? 3/4" groove diameter, 1/2" groove
thickness, 1/2 inside diameter.

Look for "grommet" or "strain-relief". This kind of thing I can get
at the hardware store. A decent electrical supply should have
something that would work, industrial suppliers like MSC or
McMaster-Carr will have something. Electronic suppliers like Digi-Key
or Mouser might have something that would work, too. I've replaced
rubber grommets in a lot of equipment with nylon strain reliefs, they
have a nut that holds the works in place and a clamp to hold the cord.
They don't tend to disintegrate when soaked with oil or exposed to
ozone. You may have to enlarge the hole to use them, though.

Good luck with the restoration!

Stan