Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fantasy tool/DIY Christmas...

So go on then, ignore the reality, if you were choosing what DIY related
pressies were dropped down the chimney, and someone else was picking up
the bill, what would they be?

I will start us off, a nice double garage sized building stuffed with
timber, decent hard woods, and other materials to make any project just
a matter of nailing it together! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd like an audio spirit level. seems these are no longer being made.
Another great device would be w a wal crumblability tester, so before you
embark on a hole and half the walls plaster falls off, you can know and take
some action. OK so you can tap the wall and hear if its hollow but that
won't work for some creatively plastered walls. You need a little wall
penetrating radar device.

Brian

--
From the Bed of Brian Gaff.
The email is valid as
"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
So go on then, ignore the reality, if you were choosing what DIY related
pressies were dropped down the chimney, and someone else was picking up
the bill, what would they be?

I will start us off, a nice double garage sized building stuffed with
timber, decent hard woods, and other materials to make any project just a
matter of nailing it together! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 Dec 2012 01:36:25 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

So go on then, ignore the reality, if you were choosing what DIY related
pressies were dropped down the chimney, and someone else was picking up
the bill, what would they be?

Angle grinder.

Neon screwdriver.

Cobbler's last.

Sewing chamine.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote

So go on then, ignore the reality, if you were choosing what
DIY related pressies were dropped down the chimney, and
someone else was picking up the bill, what would they be?

Since I physically built the entire house from scratch, I do have
most stuff and have added to collection since whenever something
turns up that makes life easier, and do the garage/yard sales too.

So it would basically be the very expensive stuff that can't
really be justified, like the expensive end of the drain cleaners
that plumbers use, a ****ing great forklift as big as a bus
that I rented from the railway yard when I needed it to
put the swamp cooler on the roof and stuff like that.

I will start us off, a nice double garage sized building stuffed
with timber, decent hard woods, and other materials to make
any project just a matter of nailing it together! ;-)

Not into wood myself.

What I would like is a decent industrial sheet metal guillotine
and bending brake. I used to have a big metal cabinet at
work that was used to hold punched cards. It had something
like 50 metal drawers that each held 2K cards. I was actually
stupid enough to not go to the auction when work sold all
that stuff off and should have got it just to store stuff in.

I would like to make another, this time out of stainless steel,
spot welded together, with more than one drawer size but
the same basic idea.

So the industrial stuff need to make stuff like the easily, and
the big pile of stainless steel sheet metal to make if from.

One of those 3D thingos that you can program to make
anything you need out of metal would be nice too.

If the fantasy extends further than you intended, it would
be fun to make a whole series of houses and live in each
one for years too, but that's getting a bit greedy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/12/12 01:36, John Rumm wrote:
So go on then, ignore the reality, if you were choosing what DIY related
pressies were dropped down the chimney, and someone else was picking up
the bill, what would they be?

I will start us off, a nice double garage sized building stuffed with
timber, decent hard woods, and other materials to make any project just
a matter of nailing it together! ;-)

A new boiler, in and working would be nice.

Andy C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 25, 7:06*am, Andy Cap wrote:
On 25/12/12 01:36, John Rumm wrote:

So go on then, ignore the reality, if you were choosing what DIY related
pressies were dropped down the chimney, and someone else was picking up
the bill, what would they be?

I will start us off, a nice double garage sized building stuffed with
timber, decent hard woods, and other materials to make any project just
a matter of nailing it together! ;-)

A new boiler, in and working would be nice.

Andy C

A house that doesn't need one is better.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/12/12 07:55, harry wrote:

A new boiler, in and working would be nice.

Andy C

A house that doesn't need one is better.

Be OK if they could disguise those crappy looking panels.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/12/2012 01:36, John Rumm wrote:
So go on then, ignore the reality, if you were choosing what DIY related
pressies were dropped down the chimney, and someone else was picking up
the bill, what would they be?

I will start us off, a nice double garage sized building stuffed with
timber, decent hard woods, and other materials to make any project just
a matter of nailing it together! ;-)

Taking you all too literally...

"14oz Titanium TiBone Framer - Milled Face Stiletto Part No. TBM14RMC

This is the latest Titanium hammer from Stiletto and it is made from
solid Titanium including the handle. The non skid, milled faced 14oz
titanium head has the same nail driving force as a 24oz steel hammer,
yet with 10 times less recoil shock. The significantly harder Titanium
transfers much more force because it absorbs less of the impact than
softer steel. This hammer has what is known as total dead blow, which
protects your wrists and forearms by significantly damping vibration and
results in virtually no shock transferred back to your arm. The solid
Titanium handle transfers swing energy to the nail head better, and at
the same time dampens shock waves to your hand and wrist making this
exceptional for heavy roofing and first fix applications. Nail starts
are much easier due to the magnetic nail holder and the new 180 side
nail puller provides maximum leverage with a stronger prying power than
steel. The 15ö curved, contoured solid titanium handle is stronger than
wood or fibreglass and has an ergonomic moulded grip for improved
control and greater comfort. It features a replaceable steel face so
that it will last a last a lifetime. This is an exceptional hammer. Made
in America. ©

Titanium hammers are nearly 50% lighter in weight than conventional
hammers yet they deliver the same nail driving force with 10 times less
recoil shock. This means a 15oz titanium hammer delivers the same force
as a 28oz steel hammer. The significantly harder than steel, titanium
transfers much more force because it absorbs much less of the impact
allowing you to strike more effectively with considerably less effort.
Made by Stiletto in the USA and exclusive to Rutlands these titanium
hammers are revolutionising the North American nailing market as they
significantly decrease the incidence of repetitive-motion stress related
injuries."

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/hand-tools...---milled-face

£259.95 - and out of stock, so someone might be lucky this morning. :-)

Is it too much to ask for some nails as well?

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/12/2012 08:19, polygonum wrote:
[...]

Not to mention a large tub of BS!

--
Regards Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A 415v 100T hydraulic press, for forcing out bearings that seem to have
bonded to the surrounding metal (like at my old work), it just spat them out
without even trying

Also one of those laser cutters as shown in the recent (excellent) James May
program used for cutting balsa but one rated for metal and not fixed down, a
'freestyle' one...

Finally a set of ear defenders so powerful they are rated to cope with
SWMBO!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Does this mean you can now break your thumb by hitting the nail incorrectly,
rather than just bruising it? Should go down well in the states then, they
will no doubt be making doctors very rich.

Actually the list here is not very out of the box, tool or other wise is it?

I'd like a robot that is small enough to crawl around plumbing and spot
build ups of scale etc, and then remove the crud, or perhaps a robot
roofer that can work in all weathers and does not need 2 hour tea breaks.

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

harry wrote:
On Dec 25, 7:06 am, Andy Cap wrote:
On 25/12/12 01:36, John Rumm wrote:

So go on then, ignore the reality, if you were choosing what DIY
related pressies were dropped down the chimney, and someone else
was picking up the bill, what would they be?

I will start us off, a nice double garage sized building stuffed
with timber, decent hard woods, and other materials to make any
project just a matter of nailing it together! ;-)

A new boiler, in and working would be nice.

Andy C

A house that doesn't need one is better.

A bachelor pad?
--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 Dec 2012 08:19:37 +0000, polygonum wrote:

[...]

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/hand-tools...ars/hammers---

framing/TBM14RMC/14oz-titanium-tibone-framer---milled-face

£259.95 - and out of stock, so someone might be lucky this morning. :-)

Is it too much to ask for some nails as well?

Russ Andrews branching out?

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/12/12 01:36, John Rumm wrote:
So go on then, ignore the reality, if you were choosing what DIY related
pressies were dropped down the chimney, and someone else was picking up
the bill, what would they be?

I will start us off, a nice double garage sized building stuffed with
timber, decent hard woods, and other materials to make any project just
a matter of nailing it together! ;-)

Id actually go for a vacuum forming machine..

And a fully equipped wood and metal working workshop. And a 3 tonne
digger, and somewhere to park it.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/12/12 08:11, Andy Cap wrote:
On 25/12/12 07:55, harry wrote:

A new boiler, in and working would be nice.

Andy C

A house that doesn't need one is better.

Be OK if they could disguise those crappy looking panels.

They still need boilers.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 25/12/2012 03:18, Rod Speed wrote:

Since I physically built the entire house from scratch, I do have most
stuff and have added to collection since whenever something turns up
that makes life easier, and do the garage/yard sales too.
So it would basically be the very expensive stuff that can't really be
justified, like the expensive end of the drain cleaners that plumbers
use, a ****ing great forklift as big as a bus that I rented from the
railway yard when I needed it to put the swamp cooler on the roof and
stuff like that.

How about a decent scissors platform or cherry picker?

I suggested to my wife that I would like a 3D printer, and she found one
costing £20k (to be paid for out of our joint account). Yes dear, I
would like a 3D printer, but no dear not that much.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 25/12/2012 09:18, Mitch wrote:

Also one of those laser cutters as shown in the recent (excellent) James May
program used for cutting balsa but one rated for metal and not fixed down, a
'freestyle' one...

A light sabre?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
RJH RJH is offline

On 25/12/2012 01:36, John Rumm wrote:
So go on then, ignore the reality, if you were choosing what DIY related
pressies were dropped down the chimney, and someone else was picking up
the bill, what would they be?

I will start us off, a nice double garage sized building stuffed with
timber, decent hard woods, and other materials to make any project just
a matter of nailing it together! ;-)

Mmm yes, I'd have me one of those, but with heating, a pit, engine
hoist, benches and vices to faff about with cars and bikes.

For two years running I got a 'men and sheds' book. Admittedly this year
it was a 'miserable old git' book, but still those around me don't seem
to realise that a shed just doesn't cut it in the 21st century.

Happy hols :-)

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-12-25, Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 25 Dec 2012 08:19:37 +0000, polygonum wrote:

On 25/12/2012 01:36, John Rumm wrote:
So go on then, ignore the reality, if you were choosing what DIY
related pressies were dropped down the chimney, and someone else was
picking up the bill, what would they be?

I will start us off, a nice double garage sized building stuffed with
timber, decent hard woods, and other materials to make any project just
a matter of nailing it together! ;-)

Taking you all too literally...

"14oz Titanium TiBone Framer - Milled Face Stiletto Part No.
TBM14RMC

This is the latest Titanium hammer from Stiletto and it is made from

[28 lines snipped]

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/hand-tools...ars/hammers---

framing/TBM14RMC/14oz-titanium-tibone-framer---milled-face

£259.95 - and out of stock, so someone might be lucky this morning. :-)

Is it too much to ask for some nails as well?

Russ Andrews branching out?

The best hammer I own cost me nothing. I found it lying in the road. Like
one of my pairs of mole grips. I've seen a fair bit more, but it's
always either been too late to stop, or it hasn't been worth risking my
life to acquire it.

My best pliers were found on a rural footpath years ago. Much better
quality than the other ones I had before. Still bemused by what
circumstances led to them being about a mile from the nearest road.

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message

, Steve Firth writes
The best hammer I own cost me nothing. I found it lying in the road. Like
one of my pairs of mole grips. I've seen a fair bit more, but it's
always either been too late to stop, or it hasn't been worth risking my
life to acquire it.

My best pliers were found on a rural footpath years ago. Much better
quality than the other ones I had before. Still bemused by what
circumstances led to them being about a mile from the nearest road.

Commonly carried by ramblers in case some errant land owner has erected
a fence discouraging trespass:-(

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Since I physically built the entire house from scratch, I do have most
stuff and have added to collection since whenever something turns up
that makes life easier, and do the garage/yard sales too.
So it would basically be the very expensive stuff that can't really be
justified, like the expensive end of the drain cleaners that plumbers
use, a ****ing great forklift as big as a bus that I rented from the
railway yard when I needed it to put the swamp cooler on the roof and
stuff like that.

How about a decent scissors platform or cherry picker?

It's a flat roof. I already have the big steel workbench with wheels that
is what I used to do the outside edge of the roof, the fascia board etc.

Come to think of it, a cherry picker would be handy for the trees,
the tallest of which is now over 50' high, but when cutting them
down when they have got too dangerous to retain, I'll get the
council to remove them. My house is next door to a park with
no fence between the house and the park and I planted those
trees and run the sprinklers in the park for the council and they
mow the park with a decent sized tractor mower and my front
yard too, and they do the trees when its necessary.

I suggested to my wife that I would like a 3D printer, and she found one
costing £20k (to be paid for out of our joint account). Yes dear, I would
like a 3D printer, but no dear not that much.

Yeah, that's the main reason I haven't bothered, hard to justify
the price, like with the ****ing great forklift which likely costs
a decent fraction of a megabuck. They use it down the railway
yards to move full shipping containers around.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message
, Steve Firth writes
The best hammer I own cost me nothing. I found it lying in the road. Like
one of my pairs of mole grips. I've seen a fair bit more, but it's
always either been too late to stop, or it hasn't been worth risking my
life to acquire it.

My best pliers were found on a rural footpath years ago. Much better
quality than the other ones I had before. Still bemused by what
circumstances led to them being about a mile from the nearest road.

Commonly carried by ramblers in case some errant land owner has erected a
fence discouraging trespass:-(

If that's the case, I'm glad that I have them. It's a credible explanation
these are stamped "piano wire" and have very good cutters that will go
through fence wire easily. I used them when I ran a couple of kilometres of
fencing around a field last summer.

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, December 25, 2012 1:36:25 AM UTC, John Rumm wrote:

So go on then, ignore the reality, if you were choosing what DIY related
pressies were dropped down the chimney, and someone else was picking up
the bill, what would they be?

The lot. Then PP to build whatever I like, with BR exemption. I'm sure I could do far better for much less.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 Dec 2012 16:25:26 +0000 (UTC), Steve Firth wrote:

The best hammer I own cost me nothing. I found it lying in the road. Like
one of my pairs of mole grips. I've seen a fair bit more, but it's
always either been too late to stop, or it hasn't been worth risking my
life to acquire it.

I've found many tools on the road/verge, including a ring spanner that was
too big to go in the large saddlebag diagonally

My best pliers were found on a rural footpath years ago. Much better
quality than the other ones I had before. Still bemused by what
circumstances led to them being about a mile from the nearest road.

Next door had a double ladder leant neatly against the inside of their inner
fence, some way from the road. To get it through two gates and put down, in
the middle of the night sometime, without waking the dogs...! Never did find
out whose it was.

--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, December 25, 2012 1:19:42 PM UTC, Owain wrote:

A laser cutter would be fun

Hmmm.... All mine (Epilog 36EXT) seems to do is to eat me out of house and home. Two grand for a fresh fill of CO2?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, December 25, 2012 11:09:18 AM UTC, GB wrote:

I suggested to my wife that I would like a 3D printer, and she found one
costing £20k (to be paid for out of our joint account).

Replicator 2XL should be available by Easter (it's _claimed_ to be January or February, so I'm hopeful for Easter). May cost about £2k.

I had a Rep 2 on order, but cancelled it, in favour of waiting for the 2XL (Does ABS and PLA, rather than just PLA).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, December 25, 2012 8:19:37 AM UTC, polygonum wrote:

"14oz Titanium TiBone Framer - Milled Face Stiletto Part No. TBM14RMC

£259.95 - and out of stock, so someone might be lucky this morning. :-)

I've never really seen the point in these Ti hammers, but I do like my huge Vaughan framing hammer (30 quid, Axminster). If you are doing any large scale nailing, it's money well spent.

(But attach a lanyard to the handle)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Tuesday, December 25, 2012 1:36:25 AM UTC, John Rumm wrote:

So go on then, ignore the reality, if you were choosing what DIY related
pressies were dropped down the chimney, and someone else was picking up
the bill, what would they be?

The lot. Then PP to build whatever I like, with BR exemption. I'm sure I
could do far better for much less.

Yes, tempting thought. What would you build and what you do differently?

--
Nige Danton - Replace the obvious with g.m.a.i.l
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/12/2012 21:58, PeterC wrote:
I've found many tools on the road/verge, including a ring spanner that was
too big to go in the large saddlebag diagonally

Passed a monkey wrench the other day. Did think about going back and
picking it up, obviously it's a hazard to traffic and you must try to be
good.

But then I already have one about that size.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
So go on then, ignore the reality, if you were choosing what DIY
related pressies were dropped down the chimney, and someone else was
picking up the bill, what would they be?

I will start us off, a nice double garage sized building stuffed with
timber, decent hard woods, and other materials to make any project
just a matter of nailing it together! ;-)

2 tonne digger, skip loader, large jcb, a 6ft square, electric/hydraulic
fold away flat platform for getting on an off rooves, top of the range
petrol husqy chainsaw and lifetime supply of chains, electric/hydraulic
logsplitter, stumpgrinder, vibrating 1t roller, and this is just off the top
of my head, if I had time to make a list, I'm sure I could easily get it
past £1m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, December 26, 2012 2:50:11 PM UTC, Nige Danton wrote:
wrote:
On Tuesday, December 25, 2012 1:36:25 AM UTC, John Rumm wrote:

So go on then, ignore the reality, if you were choosing what DIY related
pressies were dropped down the chimney, and someone else was picking up
the bill, what would they be?

The lot. Then PP to build whatever I like, with BR exemption. I'm sure I

could do far better for much less.

Yes, tempting thought. What would you build and what you do differently?

A biggish detached house with large shed. I've a long list of what I'd do different, starting with shredded scrap insulation & papercrete as insulation, and finishing with a roof structure of green timber sawn on site.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 17:55:50 +0000, Andy Champ
wrote:

Passed a monkey wrench the other day.

Good grief. Lay off the Irn Bru.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote...
So go on then, ignore the reality, if you were choosing what DIY related
pressies were dropped down the chimney, and someone else was picking up
the bill, what would they be?

I will start us off, a nice double garage sized building stuffed with
timber, decent hard woods, and other materials to make any project just a
matter of nailing it together! ;-)

Ooh, easy...

A Thiel 158 milling machine with all the tooling, carving metal in straight
lines for the use of;
A Holbrook Model H No.17 lathe (or a Holbrook Marquis...) to complement the
Model C No.13, making metal round for the use of;
A decent (not Chinese!) 300 Amp AC/DC inverter TIG welder, water cooler and
magic everlasting argon bottle, sticking metal together etc.
Power hacksaw and vertical bandsaw, cutting bits of metal off and cutting it
apart again...;
Surface grinder.

Several hundred yards of steel and aluminium stock, reduction to swarf for
the use of.

Importantly - a secure, warm 30 x 50 shed to put it all in, with 3-phase
power to run everything.

Even More Importantly - somewhere with room for the shed!

I'd need a big chimney, I think? Might be easiest with an inverse chimney
(topologically unfolded with the flue on the outside)...

Dave H. (the other one)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/12/12 01:36, John Rumm wrote:
So go on then, ignore the reality, if you were choosing what DIY related
pressies were dropped down the chimney, and someone else was picking up
the bill, what would they be?

Festool Domino Jointer. I keep trying to justify it on the basis that
building some built-in wardrobes myself I'll save a couple of grand
compared to getting someone in to do it, however since I would never
consider getting someone in to do it in the first place the saving isn't
real and I'll just have to manage with my cheap biscuit jointer.
Also tried to justify it on the basis that I could sell it on for a good
price once the wardrobes are built, however once I had it in my hands I
know I would never be able to part with such a beautiful machine, so
that one doesn't work either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 00:24:27 +0000, pcb1962 wrote:

On 25/12/12 01:36, John Rumm wrote:
So go on then, ignore the reality, if you were choosing what DIY related
pressies were dropped down the chimney, and someone else was picking up
the bill, what would they be?

Festool Domino Jointer. I keep trying to justify it on the basis that
building some built-in wardrobes myself I'll save a couple of grand
compared to getting someone in to do it, however since I would never
consider getting someone in to do it in the first place the saving isn't
real and I'll just have to manage with my cheap biscuit jointer.
Also tried to justify it on the basis that I could sell it on for a good
price once the wardrobes are built, however once I had it in my hands I
know I would never be able to part with such a beautiful machine, so
that one doesn't work either.

Really good tools are a pleasure in themselves, rather like really good
components (the difference between working on, say, Campag hubs and el
cheapo ones).
Anyway, here goes for my wish:
the knowledge, skills and ability to tackle any job - and the money to buy
the gear needed.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2012 00:24, pcb1962 wrote:
On 25/12/12 01:36, John Rumm wrote:
So go on then, ignore the reality, if you were choosing what DIY related
pressies were dropped down the chimney, and someone else was picking up
the bill, what would they be?

Festool Domino Jointer. I keep trying to justify it on the basis that
building some built-in wardrobes myself I'll save a couple of grand
compared to getting someone in to do it, however since I would never
consider getting someone in to do it in the first place the saving isn't
real and I'll just have to manage with my cheap biscuit jointer.
Also tried to justify it on the basis that I could sell it on for a good
price once the wardrobes are built, however once I had it in my hands I
know I would never be able to part with such a beautiful machine, so
that one doesn't work either.

Perhaps you should consider the Domino XL....

Now go by the Domino on the grounds that its way cheaper than the XL,
and hence you have saved loads! ;-))

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Mantle from Thorium

On 25.12.2012 02:36, John Rumm wrote:
So go on then, ignore the reality, if you were choosing what DIY
related pressies were dropped down the chimney, and someone else was
picking up the bill, what would they be?

I will start us off, a nice double garage sized building stuffed
with timber, decent hard woods, and other materials to make any
project just a matter of nailing it together! ;-)

I would like to have my own Petromax lamp:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petromax
In my childhood around 1950, my community had no electricity.
We had paraffin lamps, but in order to save money we often sat in the
dark around the kitchen stove. A stream of light came from its door.
If I placed my books in that stream, I could lay on the floor reading.

An evening after Xmas we all gathered in the school to celebrate the big
Xmas feast. There was a lot of good food, walking and singing around the
Xmas three and some silly talk about Jesus.
Someone with a job and an income brought a Petromax lamp; an amazing
tool! I will never forget its massive flood of white light.

Today I can buy a new Petromax lamp from China, but I would prefer to
get a used one for free. When I tell that it is possible that its mantle
is made from thorium, someone with very strong radio phobia may be
willing to give it away for free:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_mantle
The modern gas mantle was one of the many inventions of Carl Auer von
Welsbach, a chemist who studied rare earth elements in the 1880s and
who had been Robert Bunsen's student. Ignaz Kreidl worked with him on
his early experiments to create the Welsbach mantle. His first
process used a mixture of 60% magnesium oxide, 20% lanthanum oxide
and 20% yttrium oxide, which he called Actinophor, and patented in
1885.

These original mantles gave off a green-tinted light and were not
very successful. Carl Auer von Welsbach's first company established a
factory in Atzgersdorf in 1887 but it failed in 1889. In 1890 he
discovered that thorium was superior to magnesium and in 1891 he
perfected a new mixture of 99% thorium dioxide and 1% cerium dioxide
that gave off a much whiter light and produced a stronger mantle.

--
jo
Paris Marathon 2013