Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Very unhelpful supplier

I maintain my car myself but can't be arsed to do the oil change so I
sub that out to those who can do it cheaper than I can get the bits.

Setting old enmity aside I check out Kwikfit who say they will do it for
a reasonable price but they have the wrong oil grade on their system and
refuse to use any other than the one they have listed.

Wave owners' manual under their faces showing the manufacturer's own
recommendation for oil grade and it makes no difference, the response is
simply 'cumpootah says no'.

I could say this was a very unhelpful response but on reflection they
have been very helpful in reminding me why I vowed never to cross teh
threshold of their worthless shuttered premises again, so thank you
Kwikfit for that reminder.

Praise where it's due, my local branch of National Tyres and Autocare
were able to sort me out in short order, pleasantly and without the
attitude, option of online booking and quotes too
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
I maintain my car myself but can't be arsed to do the oil change so I
sub that out to those who can do it cheaper than I can get the bits.

Setting old enmity aside I check out Kwikfit who say they will do it
for a reasonable price but they have the wrong oil grade on their
system and refuse to use any other than the one they have listed.

they buy their oil in bulk, like all the other big outfits, if you want an
extra special expensive oil, it's customary to take your own with you.

Wave owners' manual under their faces showing the manufacturer's own
recommendation for oil grade and it makes no difference, the response
is simply 'cumpootah says no'.

I could say this was a very unhelpful response but on reflection they
have been very helpful in reminding me why I vowed never to cross teh
threshold of their worthless shuttered premises again, so thank you
Kwikfit for that reminder.

Praise where it's due, my local branch of National Tyres and Autocare
were able to sort me out in short order, pleasantly and without the
attitude, option of online booking and quotes too

So you got the stuff from the 45 gallon bulk drum then?.....should have
stayed at kwikfit

I used to work at a large main dealer (won't say which make) and people used
to bring their cars in for services and their own oil - if they didn't, they
got rock oil, which is used by almost all the main dealers when doing oil
changes, that said, most of those who brought their own oil in got rock oil
too as the expensive stuff usually ended up in the mechanics car

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 14:34:21 +0000, fred wrote:

I maintain my car myself but can't be arsed to do the oil change so I
sub that out to those who can do it cheaper than I can get the bits.

Setting old enmity aside I check out Kwikfit who say they will do it for
a reasonable price but they have the wrong oil grade on their system and
refuse to use any other than the one they have listed.

What car is it? What oil do you think should be used? What oil do
they want to put in it?

Wave owners' manual under their faces showing the manufacturer's own
recommendation for oil grade and it makes no difference, the response is
simply 'cumpootah says no'.

I'm not surprised. They have no idea what is the correct oil without
looking at their system and I guess they could be fired for breaking
the rules.

I could say this was a very unhelpful response but on reflection they
have been very helpful in reminding me why I vowed never to cross teh
threshold of their worthless shuttered premises again, so thank you
Kwikfit for that reminder.

I once got a great deal from Kwik-fit. I needed a new exhaust on my
car and I knew it was a bugger of a job so I took it to quick fit for
free fitting. Took them nearly a whole day :-)

Praise where it's due, my local branch of National Tyres and Autocare
were able to sort me out in short order, pleasantly and without the
attitude, option of online booking and quotes too

And there was another tyre shop that always told me I needed new brake
disks even when they were fine.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark" wrote in message
[...]

I know for a fact that a Merc dealership in Blackpool used to just filter
the oil and clean the plugs.
The customer of course got charged for new.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 15:27:00 -0000, "Mr Pounder"
wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I hope you reported this to the authorities.

--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/12 16:18, Mark wrote:

I know for a fact that a Merc dealership in Blackpool used to just filter
the oil and clean the plugs.
The customer of course got charged for new.

I hope you reported this to the authorities.

In 50 years of owning a car, I've only found two garages I trust to do
an honest job and they were both basically one-man bands, though I do
trust the MOT guy at the garage near me but I wont have work done there.
I've always done as much as I can myself because it's the only way you
know what's been fitted. The authorities should do far more to monitor
their performance, because I suspect they've been ripping of car owners
for years. Now I'm more restricted in what I want and can do, I've found
a reliable mobile guy and it's good to be able to see him working on the
drive.

Andy C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 15:27:00 -0000, "Mr Pounder"
wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

It closed down 10 years before I found out.
My informant was reliable.

--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
[...]

So it was not fact but hearsay!

--
Regards Peter Crosland
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Huge
writes
Not as unhelpful as Churchill Insurance.

That's the spirit, praise the good, shame the bad!

Thought I'd keep the feel good and grumble threads separate.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 16:45:48 +0000, fred wrote:

In article , Huge
writes
Not as unhelpful as Churchill Insurance.

That's the spirit, praise the good, shame the bad!

Thought I'd keep the feel good and grumble threads separate.

I have a long list: BT, Orange, Halfords, pixmania, Heritage
Bathrooms, Vodafone ... I could go on.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:
Not as unhelpful as Churchill Insurance.

Add eCar to that list.

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-12-20, Steve Firth wrote:
Huge wrote:
Not as unhelpful as Churchill Insurance.

Add eCar to that list.

eCar are as the Dalai Lama compared to those ****ers with the dog.

Oh I don't know. eCar charged me £240 for their cock-up. It took
solicitor's letters to get the money back. The "supervisor" was a
particularly evil cow who deserves to be dressed in chains and then
dragged behind a car until there is nothing left but the chains.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder wrote:

I know for a fact that a Merc dealership in Blackpool used to just filter
the oil and clean the plugs.
The customer of course got charged for new.

I'm not going to deny what you know, but I really fail to see how cleaning
the plugs and filtering the oil can be much of a saving over new parts -
given the amount those places charge for labour.

Now - if they were filling up with Halfords value almost-oil rather than
decent stuff, I could understand :-|

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
Mr Pounder wrote:

I know for a fact that a Merc dealership in Blackpool used to just filter
the oil and clean the plugs.
The customer of course got charged for new.

I'm not going to deny what you know, but I really fail to see how cleaning
the plugs and filtering the oil can be much of a saving over new parts -
given the amount those places charge for labour.

Now - if they were filling up with Halfords value almost-oil rather than
decent stuff, I could understand :-|

The money went into the head mechanics pocket.
Do you understand how much this Merc dealership charged for "special" oil
and "special" plugs?
Have you ever seen oil filtered through a pair of knickers?

I once knew this girl that could filter just about anything.
She once ripped my pants down and ..... by the left .............

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mr Pounder wrote:
The money went into the head mechanics pocket. Do you understand how
much this Merc dealership charged for "special" oil and "special"
plugs? Have you ever seen oil filtered through a pair of knickers?

Why would they bother? It wouldn't change the appearance of the oil or
serve any other purpose. Neither would cleaning the plugs - except perhaps
the outside to make them appear new.

--
*If all is not lost, where the hell is it?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes
Mr Pounder wrote:

I know for a fact that a Merc dealership in Blackpool used to just filter
the oil and clean the plugs.
The customer of course got charged for new.

I'm not going to deny what you know, but I really fail to see how cleaning
the plugs and filtering the oil can be much of a saving over new parts -
given the amount those places charge for labour.

What they charge for labour bears no relationship to the cost of said
labour - and the customer was paying for it in any case.
Now - if they were filling up with Halfords value almost-oil rather than
decent stuff, I could understand :-|

--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mark
writes
I once got a great deal from Kwik-fit. I needed a new exhaust on my
car and I knew it was a bugger of a job so I took it to quick fit for
free fitting. Took them nearly a whole day :-)

I once availed myself of their life long guarantee[1] on an exhaust
system from kwik fit. I sold the vehicle 10 years and several exhaust
components later, I suspect I got the better side of the deal on that
one.

[1] small print states that it is really until you sell the vehicle.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

fred wrote:
I maintain my car myself but can't be arsed to do the oil change so I
sub that out to those who can do it cheaper than I can get the bits.

Setting old enmity aside I check out Kwikfit

Well you are to blame then:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ARW
writes
fred wrote:
I maintain my car myself but can't be arsed to do the oil change so I
sub that out to those who can do it cheaper than I can get the bits.

Setting old enmity aside I check out Kwikfit

Well you are to blame then:-)

Totally.

Only benefit from shooting myself in the foot so often is that it's more
difficult to hit the bits that are left.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

fred wrote:
In article , ARW
writes
fred wrote:
I maintain my car myself but can't be arsed to do the oil change
so I sub that out to those who can do it cheaper than I can get
the bits. Setting old enmity aside I check out Kwikfit

Well you are to blame then:-)

Totally.

Only benefit from shooting myself in the foot so often is that it's
more difficult to hit the bits that are left.

I do not have the option of using the local KwikFit as I am banned from
using them following a distress purchace on a Sunday.

They refused to give me back my punctured tyre.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ARW
writes
fred wrote:
In article , ARW
writes
fred wrote:
I maintain my car myself but can't be arsed to do the oil change
so I sub that out to those who can do it cheaper than I can get
the bits. Setting old enmity aside I check out Kwikfit

Well you are to blame then:-)

Totally.

Only benefit from shooting myself in the foot so often is that it's
more difficult to hit the bits that are left.

I do not have the option of using the local KwikFit as I am banned from
using them following a distress purchace on a Sunday.

They refused to give me back my punctured tyre.

Huh, punch who, what, whay?

Can I guess that this followed a discussion about extras added to the
price after they fitted the tyre, valve & balance fiver gasp and tyre
disposal 2 quid choke?
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 09:36:02 +0000, fred wrote:

In article , ARW
writes
fred wrote:
In article , ARW
writes
fred wrote:
I maintain my car myself but can't be arsed to do the oil change
so I sub that out to those who can do it cheaper than I can get
the bits. Setting old enmity aside I check out Kwikfit

Well you are to blame then:-)

Totally.

Only benefit from shooting myself in the foot so often is that it's
more difficult to hit the bits that are left.

I do not have the option of using the local KwikFit as I am banned from
using them following a distress purchace on a Sunday.

They refused to give me back my punctured tyre.

Huh, punch who, what, whay?

Can I guess that this followed a discussion about extras added to the
price after they fitted the tyre, valve & balance fiver gasp and tyre
disposal 2 quid choke?

Their T&Cs actually say that they expect to keep the tyre, I noticed.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
In article , ARW writes
fred wrote:
In article , ARW
writes
fred wrote:
I maintain my car myself but can't be arsed to do the oil change
so I sub that out to those who can do it cheaper than I can get
the bits. Setting old enmity aside I check out Kwikfit

Well you are to blame then:-)

Totally.

Only benefit from shooting myself in the foot so often is that it's
more difficult to hit the bits that are left.

I do not have the option of using the local KwikFit as I am banned from
using them following a distress purchace on a Sunday.

They refused to give me back my punctured tyre.

Huh, punch who, what, whay?

Can I guess that this followed a discussion about extras added to the
price after they fitted the tyre, valve & balance fiver gasp and tyre
disposal 2 quid choke?

very annoyed with a local tyre dealer, excellent I other respects but the
charged me £2 per tyre for disposal. However I had asked them to put the
part worn tyres in the boot. Only comment was "standard charge, no refund".

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Dec 2012 22:06:12 -0000, "ARW"
wrote:

I do not have the option of using the local KwikFit as I am banned from
using them following a distress purchace on a Sunday.

They refused to give me back my punctured tyre.

In contrast, my local tyre places are only too happy to give the
customer back the old ones - lots of farmers find a use for them and
many old car tyres find a new life on trailers. Apart from that, the
disposal charge hits a raw nerve with some.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 2012-12-19, ARW wrote:
fred wrote:
In article , ARW
writes
fred wrote:
I maintain my car myself but can't be arsed to do the oil
change so I sub that out to those who can do it cheaper than
I can get the bits. Setting old enmity aside I check out
Kwikfit

Well you are to blame then:-)

Totally.

Only benefit from shooting myself in the foot so often is that
it's more difficult to hit the bits that are left.

I do not have the option of using the local KwikFit as I am banned
from using them following a distress purchace on a Sunday.

They refused to give me back my punctured tyre.

This is called "theft". That tyre belongs to you.

I believe that the trye was legally repairable. I wanted to take it to
someone who knew what they were doing and would have disposed of it legally
for me if I was wrong.

--
Adam