Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Anyone else have freezing rain this morning?

The worst driving conditions I have ever had to endure.

(Mr Harston was in the worst of it in Sheffield).

90 minutes to get to work 20 miles away. Pure ice forming on the roads as
the rain hit them.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

The worst driving conditions I have ever had to endure.

Pure ice forming on the roads as the rain hit them.

No, was freezing yesterday evening, but warmed up and rained throughout
the night, low cloud base today rather than yesterday's fog, rained all
day. Saw results of one rear-ending and another spun off onto
embankment on the M1 on way home, from standing water.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2012 20:35, ARW wrote:
The worst driving conditions I have ever had to endure.

(Mr Harston was in the worst of it in Sheffield).

90 minutes to get to work 20 miles away. Pure ice forming on the roads as
the rain hit them.

It was about 6 degrees here today, and very light rain.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message ...

The worst driving conditions I have ever had to endure.

(Mr Harston was in the worst of it in Sheffield).

90 minutes to get to work 20 miles away. Pure ice forming on the roads as
the rain hit them.

Yes, paths and untreated roads were lethal here (North Sheffield). In town
it wasn't too bad by 09:30 but it still took until 12:00 to get most staff
into the office - although much of that was due to the local schools staying
shut until 10:00.

My oldest lad only had 8 in his class today but his school is virtually in
the Peaks and is on a very exposed site(*)

Cheers

Mark

(*)
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...55747&t=h&z=15

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 00:11:39 -0000, Ferretygubbins wrote:

... it still took until 12:00 to get most staff into the office -
although much of that was due to the local schools staying
shut until 10:00.

Is this the latest headteacher "good idea"? Our new secondary head has
also come up with this scheme to open the school late if the weather is
bad. Really screws up working parents...

He's come from the Deep South and I don't think he quite realises what
the winter weather is like at 900 to 1500' on the North Pennines and how
much it varies with altitude. It can be driving settling snow with us at
1400' but 400' lower in the town only rain.

He also expects this late start time to enable parents to come via
alternative routes. But being remote and rural there are very few
alternative routes and to all intents and purposes none when the weather
closes in. Or does he really expect people to drive 100+ miles round
instead of the 15 for the normal journey?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/12/2012 01:15, Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

What does he expect the on time kids to do, sit in the car and freeze?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 08:31:13 +0000, dennis@home wrote:

... it still took until 12:00 to get most staff into the office -
although much of that was due to the local schools staying
shut until 10:00.

Is this the latest headteacher "good idea"? Our new secondary head
has also come up with this scheme to open the school late if the
weather is bad. Really screws up working parents...

What does he expect the on time kids to do, sit in the car and freeze?

This is the daft bit the school will be open for an extended "breakfast
club". Some pupils normally arrive very early to allow parents to work, I
think the Breakfast Club is a paid for extra for them. He also can't
reschedule the buses so even relatively local kids will still be there by
0900 (assuming the buses are running...).

All this sort of assumes he can get enough staff in to have the correct
ratio of staff to pupils. Some staff do live within walking distance but
some are the other side of the high routes and won't be able to get in.
One also assumes that to run the Breakfast Club one needs the catering
staff in as well. Food hygiene regulations etc.

I've been trying to compose an email to him about this but it raises so
many things I haven't been able to get my head around them all. This
thread is helping... B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message ...

The worst driving conditions I have ever had to endure.

(Mr Harston was in the worst of it in Sheffield).

90 minutes to get to work 20 miles away. Pure ice forming on the roads as
the rain hit them.

RAIN ! effin rain FFS.....

From 0700 ish to around 3pm I and a colleague were in a yard stripping and
refurbishing the main carriage slides on an effin Moffat forklift in
torrential rain.
Regular stops to unload the water from *inside* the boots, hood of the
waterproofs and socks, and anywhere else the effin stuff wanted to go.
Had to keep the gas axe lighter in the van (Engine running, heater fan on
Tornado setting) just to keep it dry enough to work and at +3 degrees it was
a welcome warmth when I lit the gas axe to persuade the brackets to expand
to let the pins go.

As for lying under the bloody heap of **** holding a 1" dia steel re-bar 3ft
long while he "assisted" the pins out with my 14lb sledge it wasn't even
slightly amusing when the nearby drain blocked with crap and leaves decided
to overflow using my left trouser leg as an exit.
The driest thing on me at 3pm was my mouth...Parched!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nthkentman wrote:

"ARW" wrote in message ...

The worst driving conditions I have ever had to endure.

(Mr Harston was in the worst of it in Sheffield).

90 minutes to get to work 20 miles away. Pure ice forming on the roads as
the rain hit them.

RAIN ! effin rain FFS.....

Yes - ****ing rain...

I am of an extremely nervous disposition right now - whaty with having 80%
of my roof tiles missing!!!

Thankfully, the membrane is holding failry well and I have sighted 4 drips
(only 2 at any one time) from rafters.

One which dripped a lot yesterday got a pile of old bedsheets shived under
it - the others were minor.

At least I know the membrane works as well as can be expected. I'm still
nervous about tonight's predicted deluge.

For some reason, Robertsbridge is God's Urinal - we get ****ed on when
everyone else is dry.
--
Tim Watts Personal Blog: http://www.dionic.net/tim/

"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it."