Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default RCM: The Morning After...

Have you ever seen such a load of BS in your entire life???

This is the only defense I could come up with at short notice.

Add RCM: on the beginning of the title line -
BEFORE the obligatory OT, OK?

Then we can filter on that tag.

Also need to add a filter for RCM: to get the reply lines.

Hang tight - keep posting.

CaveLamb

But I'm not the end all smart guy on net stuff.
Anybody with a better mouse trap?

My thought was that we can filter out the noise by tagging valid
messages (ok gimme a loose interpretation of "valid", ok)

Most news agents have filtering functions.
But these guys are coming from a bunch of people all over the
world - or so it seems.

The few I tried to reply to bounced, so they are probably 100%
bogus.

So you need TWO filters - PASS filters.

One for RCM: (RCM might work ok, but add the ":" just because).

And one for the reply lines RCM: (check spacing here?)

And yeah you guys with pay per view news servers probably don't have
the problem, but unless you join in you canjust talk to your own
bads sleves privately!

So there.

Hope it works.

Richard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default [RCM] The Morning After... colon bad - brackets good!

This one was from DoN last night.
A good point -

DoN. Nichols wrote:

*Don't* use a colon. Outlook Express certainly converts every
two letter group followed by a ':' at the start of a "Subject: " header
to " " (It thinks that it may be an equivalent of " " in some
other language.) I don't know for sure what it does with three letter
groups, but try something else to make it stand out -- enclosing it in
square brackets "[]" is probably a pretty good one -- and do the same
with "OT" when you need to add it, so OE won't turn it off for you.

I've set up my killfile (using trn as a newsreader) to reject
anything with "sci.crypt" in the headers, since the vast majority of
this is an attack on that newsgroup, and every one of these has that
newsgroup name in the cross-posting list in the "Newsgroups: " header.
It takes a while for the newsreader to process it all, but it does clean
things up nicely. It is best to move the search for "sci.crypt" to the
beginning of the killfile, so it can clean up the most before your other
killfile entries have to wade through it.

Good Luck,
DoN.

Ok Don, Copy that about the colon useage in IE.
I use netscape, so what the heck do I know...

If [RCM] can work mo betta I'm all for it.

Nice youe reader can clean up YOUR feed, but we need to find something
that will work for everybody or you'll ne talking to yourself.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default [RCM] The Morning After... - with nice pretty brackets

I saw a couple of guys here last night.

DoN caught the colon issue - and suggested square brackets.
[RCM]

the deal is that if you click on the title bar, the messages
will sort out in alphabetical order.

We, as metalworkers, are inerested in the section starting

[RCM] new title
and
[RCM] new title

which won't be together. Bummer dude.

Might have to reply to your own first post to get it in order?

I dunno if it will work, but I absolutely refuse to give up.

Good luck

Hope to hear from you guys again.

Richard

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself wrote:

Do you think it is brilliant what you are doing here?
Use a test group when you want to reinvent the wheel.

Nick
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

well, nick, the [RCM] flag does let guys like me who use the simple outlook
express reader because we like it run a simple filter - in my case, I can
color posts with the [RCM] green so I can quickly skim through the swarf of
spam (there's am image for you) to se if there is anything to read. And
yes, I could use a different reader, but I like this one.

"Nick Mueller" wrote in message
cavelamb himself wrote:

Do you think it is brilliant what you are doing here?
Use a test group when you want to reinvent the wheel.

Nick

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Key(s) in the title won't work: the sporge bot can copy the title &
author of legitimate posts. See the "75/25 VS. CO2" thread in the
welding NG. What looks like replies by Gunner are sporge.

Using sci.crypt as the filter is good, but Thunderbird doesn't give you
that option. Sigh

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 07:51:49 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Bob
Engelhardt quickly quoth:

Key(s) in the title won't work: the sporge bot can copy the title &
author of legitimate posts. See the "75/25 VS. CO2" thread in the
welding NG. What looks like replies by Gunner are sporge.

Using sci.crypt as the filter is good, but Thunderbird doesn't give you
that option. Sigh

Nor does Agent. But I'm using Forte's newsservers and they intercepted
them before I saw them. I've been wondering what youse guys were
talking about. Ignorance is bliss, wot?

--
Every day above ground is a Good Day(tm).
-----------
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
Nor does Agent. But I'm using Forte's newsservers and they intercepted
them before I saw them. I've been wondering what youse guys were
talking about. Ignorance is bliss, wot?

Same deal with Earthlink. But my RoadRunner account is slammed with it.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Nor does Agent. But I'm using Forte's newsservers and they intercepted
them before I saw them. I've been wondering what youse guys were
talking about. Ignorance is bliss, wot?

Just so you know, Forte's newsservers are Supernews. Here is your header.

I'm using Forte also since it is cheaper than supernews. You will see going
from right to left the path my message took. This is in bang path something
carried over from UUCP iirc. Won't be too informative since we both use
supernews. Look at Nick's headers for a clearer example of the route a
message takes from his server.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 05:35:58 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 07:51:49 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Bob
Engelhardt quickly quoth:

Key(s) in the title won't work: the sporge bot can copy the title &
author of legitimate posts. See the "75/25 VS. CO2" thread in the
welding NG. What looks like replies by Gunner are sporge.

Using sci.crypt as the filter is good, but Thunderbird doesn't give you
that option. Sigh

Nor does Agent. But I'm using Forte's newsservers and they intercepted
them before I saw them. I've been wondering what youse guys were
talking about. Ignorance is bliss, wot?

Use:-
newsgroups: sci.crypt

in the filter field. It's working for me with Agent. Because the newsgroups
field is artificially generated after downloading the message, the messages
will still be downloaded.,But you'll never see them if the filter is set to
mark read or delete.

Regards
Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

That's what I was trying to do last night but couldn't get it working.

So what WAS all that stuff?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 17:07:06 GMT, cavelamb himself
wrote:

Mark Rand wrote:

Use:-
newsgroups: sci.crypt

in the filter field. It's working for me with Agent. Because the newsgroups
field is artificially generated after downloading the message, the messages
will still be downloaded.,But you'll never see them if the filter is set to
mark read or delete.

Regards
Mark Rand
RTFM

That's what I was trying to do last night but couldn't get it working.

So what WAS all that stuff?

Don't know, didn't see it. Having tried the filter in rcm I then applied it to
sejr. Got about 10 posts, plus about 1400 filtered :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I can only imagine how the dial-up guys are doing today.

If their readers have to download all this crap before
filtering, they may never be back.

Probably best to unsubscribe then resubscribe and start
over from zero.

Anybody want to make book on how long it takes to recover?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 09:15:41 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Wes
quickly quoth:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Nor does Agent. But I'm using Forte's newsservers and they intercepted
them before I saw them. I've been wondering what youse guys were
talking about. Ignorance is bliss, wot?

Just so you know, Forte's newsservers are Supernews. Here is your header.

I'm using Forte also since it is cheaper than supernews. You will see going

I'm not needing filters. The crap has been taken out before I download
the daily messages.

from right to left the path my message took. This is in bang path something
carried over from UUCP iirc. Won't be too informative since we both use
supernews. Look at Nick's headers for a clearer example of the route a
message takes from his server.

And just why would I care about NTD's server when I have him
killfiled? :^)

--
Every day above ground is a Good Day(tm).
-----------
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 17:36:04 +0100, with neither quill nor qualm, Mark
Rand quickly quoth:

wrote:

Nor does Agent. But I'm using Forte's newsservers and they intercepted
them before I saw them. I've been wondering what youse guys were
talking about. Ignorance is bliss, wot?

Use:-
newsgroups: sci.crypt

in the filter field. It's working for me with Agent. Because the newsgroups
field is artificially generated after downloading the message, the messages
will still be downloaded.,But you'll never see them if the filter is set to
mark read or delete.

Thanks, Mark. I'll try that for others when they get through. I've ben
harping at Forte about doing text filtering for a decade now and they
still won't do it for us. waah! I finally upgraded from 1.93 a few
months ago just to give them more money to fund it.

--
Every day above ground is a Good Day(tm).
-----------
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

According to Bob Engelhardt :
Key(s) in the title won't work: the sporge bot can copy the title &
author of legitimate posts. See the "75/25 VS. CO2" thread in the
welding NG. What looks like replies by Gunner are sporge.

Using sci.crypt as the filter is good, but Thunderbird doesn't give you
that option. Sigh

Can you filter on the "NNTP-Posting-Host: " IP address? If so,
filter on "147.52.151.2" -- the current source of this particular run of
garbage -- at least here in rec.crafts.metalworking.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Nick Mueller wrote:

cavelamb himself wrote:

Do you think it is brilliant what you are doing here?
Use a test group when you want to reinvent the wheel.

Nick

Maybe not brilliant, but it may have helped a few guys
find a thread.

You didn't see what was coming in.

Lucky you!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

What version of Agent do you have? I have an old version and your
suggestion doesn't work.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 09:42:53 +0100, Mark Rand
wrote:

4.2/32.1118

that's current according to my (paid for) version.

I do have a bit of difficulty writing filters, I find it easier to
look at headers and ignore anything not interesting, then I don't miss
anything that could be worth reading..

I use Eudora for email.

The morning after this evening will be good, the material for my new
shed/workshop is being delivered and assembly should start on Friday.
39.8 sq. metres for metalwork and the existing 30 sq. metre shed will
be solely for woodwork. This is 0.2 sq. metre less than the maximum
permitted by the council, not too bad for an " off the shelf "
purchase, though I had to search though about 10 suppliers before I
found this one. Most others were either 36 or 42 sq. metres

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

William Noble wrote:

well, nick, the [RCM] flag does let guys like me who use the simple
outlook express reader because we like it run a simple filter

Yes, but only those people that know about that specific temporary (?)
convention pass through. The others are excluded. And you know: A bunch
have problems even marking their crap with "OT". Now do you expect them to
mark the rest with something else?
Honestly, I *strongly* doubt that. :-))

And yes, I could use a different reader, but I like this one.

You can use whatever reader you want. I also don't suggest you wearing white
socks. :-)

It think that the flooding has **something** good. It might open the eyes of
those who flood this group with political crap. But this is the *only*
possibly good point about it. Please, don't get me wrong.
And maybe those rouge NNTP-servers finally get their UDP.

Anyhow. I won't remove the [RCM]-tag, nor will I add it because that only
fixes the problem but doesn't solve it.

Nick

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 21:06:32 +0800, Alan wrote:

The morning after this evening will be good, the material for my new
shed/workshop is being delivered and assembly should start on Friday.
39.8 sq. metres for metalwork and the existing 30 sq. metre shed will
be solely for woodwork. This is 0.2 sq. metre less than the maximum
permitted by the council, not too bad for an " off the shelf "
purchase, though I had to search though about 10 suppliers before I
found this one. Most others were either 36 or 42 sq. metres

I'm insanely jealous. We're permitted 30 sq metres without planning permission
and up to 50% of the land area (not including the front of the house). My shed
is 30.0 sq metres! and it still dominates the garden:-

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...6662&encType=1

It's the white trapezium in the centre of the picture.

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 23:33:08 +0100, Mark Rand
wrote:

I'm insanely jealous. We're permitted 30 sq metres without planning permission
and up to 50% of the land area (not including the front of the house). My shed
is 30.0 sq metres! and it still dominates the garden:-

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...6662&encType=1

It's the white trapezium in the centre of the picture.

Didn't work - all I got was screen with what & where blocks

My place is at 32 04 13 16S, 115 59 15 77 E, on Google Earth - the
tree is gone, it was a lemon scented gum, 35 + metres high and
dropping branches on the house & shed roofs - dangerous - and the new
shed is going there. Tree removalist had to hire a 30 metre cherry
picker to cut it down, and extended, it was well below the top
branches
We are supposed to get planning permission for any structure - shed
supplier did all that as part of the contract. All but the roller
door was delivered today. I am allowed 70 sq m max, if I had an
extra 50 sq m of land, I could have had 85 sq m of shed. I was
originally going to buy 5 hectares ( 10+ acres ) but it fell through
as the vendor could not provide engineering certificates for all his
unauthorised earthworks and get council approval - then I
planned a 200 sq metre shed + the 40' seatainer for storage.

Alan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default RCM: The Morning After... what the hell is this?

Can anybody figure this one out???

It was an offering from
(like I'm going to play that stupid)

http://89.18.31.7/

????

Richard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 17:02:35 -0500, the renowned cavelamb himself
wrote:

Can anybody figure this one out???

snip

In Romania looks like. Malware loading? Phishing? Who knows. Who
cares?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

caveland sez:Can anybody figure this one out???

It was an offering from
(like I'm going to play that stupid
"cavelamb himself" wrote in message

It looks like you fell for it.

Bob Swinney

87 at 1 in the morning` mm Home Repair 1 July 10th 07 11:33 AM
Been doing a bit of plastering at 5 in the morning. George UK diy 4 March 28th 07 11:59 PM
Great Day in the Morning Evon Barvinchack Woodworking 7 October 7th 05 01:47 AM
a morning funny Joe C. Woodworking 3 December 31st 04 06:48 AM
While I was shaving this morning . . . Hoyt Weathers Woodworking 56 October 26th 04 10:09 PM