Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y

Default No ring signal

A couple of years ago, there was a thread - raised by Andrew Gabriel, I
think - about a line with no ring signal.

Does anyone know how it got resolved, because I have exactly the same
symptoms at my holiday flat.

I thought I had a problem before I came here because, when I tried to
access my answer machine remotely, it just 'rang' without answering.

Now I'm here, I can confirm that it doesn't ring at all - although the
caller hears ring tone.

If I do a ringback test, the phone detects that a call is coming in -
and displays caller ID - but no ring. I've tried several phones -
including one which tests ok on a neighbour's line - and none rings,
even when plugged into the test socket on the master with nothing else
connected.

I can make outgoing calls, and there's no noise on the line. ADSL on the
line works perfectly - it's just ring that's missing.

I've reported it to BT, whose automated test doesn't show a fault. They
could send an engineer, but that comes with warnings of a £99 charge if
it turns out to be anything at my end.

I don't see how it *can* be anything that's my responsibility. Am I
missing anything?
--
Cheers,
Roger