Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default External wall woes

Hi

I have an external wall that forms the boundary of the yard. It is in a rather scruffy state and the pointing needs doing.

Ideally I’d like to render and paint it, but if I render it, do I need to do the pointing as well?

Also, presumably the render can’t go below the damp proof course, so how do you finish the area below there?

Many thanks

Seán
Posted to uk.d-i-y

That's exactly what I needed to know thank you.

As frost pretty much rules out doing this for the foreseeable future, can you do the pointing when there is frost about?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I suspected as much, arse
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It doesn't need pointing if you are rendering it, but whichever you decide

to do will have to wait until it's been above freezing for at least 72 hours

as deep frost inside the wall will take at least this long to thaw.

Whichever you decide to do, you'd be wise to add some frostproofer and

hardener (B&Q or any BM) and only mix it in small batches as it goes off

quickly

Thanks for all the help, I and my wall appreciate it

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 13, 2:59*pm, "Phil L" wrote:
wrote:
That's exactly what I needed to know thank you.

As frost pretty much rules out doing this for the foreseeable future,
can you do the pointing when there is frost about?

It doesn't need pointing if you are rendering it, but whichever you decide
to do will have to wait until it's been above freezing for at least 72 hours
as deep frost inside the wall will take at least this long to thaw.
Whichever you decide to do, you'd be wise to add some frostproofer and
hardener (B&Q or any BM) and only mix it in small batches as it goes off
quickly

er... if the inside "core" of the wall is at -1 and the surface at say
+4 why would you have to wait until the core defrosts before rendering
the surface?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
On Dec 13, 2:59 pm, "Phil L" wrote:
wrote:
That's exactly what I needed to know thank you.

As frost pretty much rules out doing this for the foreseeable
future, can you do the pointing when there is frost about?

It doesn't need pointing if you are rendering it, but whichever you
decide to do will have to wait until it's been above freezing for at
least 72 hours as deep frost inside the wall will take at least this
long to thaw. Whichever you decide to do, you'd be wise to add some
frostproofer and hardener (B&Q or any BM) and only mix it in small
batches as it goes off quickly

er... if the inside "core" of the wall is at -1 and the surface at say
+4 why would you have to wait until the core defrosts before rendering
the surface?

Because the moisture frozen inside the wall has expanded, and when it thaws
it shrinks....trying to render bricks that are still frozen on one side
isn't a good idea

Posted to uk.d-i-y

When you come to paint this render, do you have to do a **** coat first ?