Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default external wall insulation

On 16/11/2011 11:43, sm_jamieson wrote:

I have a big solid brick gable end wall on the side of my house with no
windows, an obvious case for external insulation. The wall is against a
shared passageway around 4 feet wide (possible a bit wider), so there
could be issues there, since I'd be shrinking the passageway a bit.

Anyway, the installed system and companies seem to be a rip-off to me, and
this is a DIY group.

Indeed - something I have been looking into a bit of late.

Anything to stop me:

1. Getting a load of celotex/kingspan seconds (say 50mm or 75mm) covered
with stainless expamet (I guess the stainless type with ribs, intended for
rendering), and banging it up with the long washer-type fixings.

2. Rendering it (or getting a renderer in).

That certainly would appear to be one option. The problem I found is
that for larger areas, the price of the metal lath makes quite an
addition to the cost.

Some of the systems (like the Kingspan one) seem to use a fibreglass
mesh covering.

Anyone know about the thin-
coat flexible modified renders that I think they use ? How durable are
these (likely to get hit with a wheelbarrow on occasion) ?

I get the impression they are quite durable - although not sure how
strong they will be subjected to point loads like that.

I quite like the idea of a thin coat system that could be applied with a
Tyrolean gun or similar leaving a slightly textured roughcast render
type of finish.

3. Cladding it with some type of siding - would help it it looked vaguely
like render or brick).

There are some posh "looks like brick" claddings out there designed to
make exterior insulation on traditional brick facias look a bit more
appealing. I doubt they are cheap though.

This should be miles cheaper than getting a "system" installed. Anyone
done something like this ?

I just phoned out local insulation supplier. From the quick chat I had,
they have a PIR foam board with a fibreglass mesh already bonded to it.
I am waiting for a call back from their technical guy to find out a bit
more detail.

Will report back shortly.

--
Cheers,