Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Speedfit on an external wall

I want to supply the loft conversion by
running 15mm speedfit up an external wall
through the bathroom floor and again
continuing vertically to the bathroo ceiling.
The speedfit will then bend close to the eaves.
I have the idea of using the silvered radiator
reflector to line the boxing/trunking.

M house is a 100 year old terrace with solid walls.
Is this a solution to the external wall exposure.

The speedfit running close to the eaves is a bigger
problem. Would welcome your ideas on this?

Thanks.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Davao" wrote in message
I want to supply the loft conversion by
running 15mm speedfit up an external wall
through the bathroom floor and again
continuing vertically to the bathroo ceiling.
The speedfit will then bend close to the eaves.
I have the idea of using the silvered radiator
reflector to line the boxing/trunking.

M house is a 100 year old terrace with solid walls.
Is this a solution to the external wall exposure.

The speedfit running close to the eaves is a bigger
problem. Would welcome your ideas on this?

It looks crap and prone to degrade with UV light. Not a good idea at all.
Then it will freeze.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 20:21:10 +0100 someone who may be Davao
wrote this:-

I want to supply the loft conversion by
running 15mm speedfit up an external wall
through the bathroom floor and again
continuing vertically to the bathroo ceiling.
The speedfit will then bend close to the eaves.

External walls are not the place for water pipes, especially in 100
year old terrace with solid walls. Good passive design against
freezing is to put them against warmer walls.

This is not how many older houses are plumbed, but the ones which
suffer frozen pipes tend to be the ones with bad passive design.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Davao" wrote in message
I want to supply the loft conversion by
running 15mm speedfit up an external wall
through the bathroom floor and again
continuing vertically to the bathroo ceiling.
The speedfit will then bend close to the eaves.
I have the idea of using the silvered radiator
reflector to line the boxing/trunking.

M house is a 100 year old terrace with solid walls.
Is this a solution to the external wall exposure.

The speedfit running close to the eaves is a bigger
problem. Would welcome your ideas on this?

Black HDPE pipe is the right material for external above-ground
applications. You can get adaptors to standard Speedfit pipes when it is
inside again. However, water feed pipes should run inside a building, to
help keep them from freezing.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

I want to supply the loft conversion by
running 15mm speedfit up an external wall
through the bathroom floor and again
continuing vertically to the bathroo ceiling.
The speedfit will then bend close to the eaves.

External walls are not the place for water pipes, especially in 100
year old terrace with solid walls. Good passive design against
freezing is to put them against warmer walls.

Except for The Lloyds Building in London, but I suppose if your name is
Richard Rogers you can get away with it. :-)

This is not how many older houses are plumbed, but the ones which
suffer frozen pipes tend to be the ones with bad passive design.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

I want to supply the loft conversion by
running 15mm speedfit up an external wall
through the bathroom floor and again
continuing vertically to the bathroo ceiling.
The speedfit will then bend close to the eaves.

External walls are not the place for water pipes, especially in 100
year old terrace with solid walls. Good passive design against
freezing is to put them against warmer walls.

Except for The Lloyds Building in London, but I suppose if your name is
Richard Rogers you can get away with it. :-)

Well he's got away with the Pompidou Centre, the Millenium Dome and
Madrid Barajas airport. He'll probably get away with LHR T5 as well.
The plumbing doesn't work in there either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31 Mar, 20:21, Davao wrote:
I want to supply the loft conversion by
running 15mm speedfit up an external wall
through the bathroom floor and again
continuing vertically to the bathroo ceiling.
The speedfit will then bend close to the eaves.
I have the idea of using the silvered radiator
reflector to line the boxing/trunking.

M house is a 100 year old terrace with solid walls.
Is this a solution to the external wall exposure.

The speedfit running close to the eaves is a bigger
problem. Would welcome your ideas on this?

Thanks.

Arthur

****!
I'm sorry gents.
I should have said I will be running the speedfit up
an external wall but of course inside the house..

Arthur
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-01 12:19:42 +0100, Arthur 51 said:

On 31 Mar, 20:21, Davao wrote:
I want to supply the loft conversion by
running 15mm speedfit up an external wall
through the bathroom floor and again
continuing vertically to the bathroo ceiling.
The speedfit will then bend close to the eaves.
I have the idea of using the silvered radiator
reflector to line the boxing/trunking.

M house is a 100 year old terrace with solid walls.
Is this a solution to the external wall exposure.

The speedfit running close to the eaves is a bigger
problem. Would welcome your ideas on this?

Thanks.

Arthur

****!
I'm sorry gents.

No need to apologise, and there's no gents around here.

I should have said I will be running the speedfit up
an external wall but of course inside the house..

Arthur

Some thick Armalite foam lagging would be a good choice.

Also, it might be better to make the run 22mm to improve the flow.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arthur 51" wrote in message
On 31 Mar, 20:21, Davao wrote:
I want to supply the loft conversion by
running 15mm speedfit up an external wall
through the bathroom floor and again
continuing vertically to the bathroo ceiling.
The speedfit will then bend close to the eaves.
I have the idea of using the silvered radiator
reflector to line the boxing/trunking.

M house is a 100 year old terrace with solid walls.
Is this a solution to the external wall exposure.

The speedfit running close to the eaves is a bigger
problem. Would welcome your ideas on this?

Thanks.

Arthur

****!
I'm sorry gents.
I should have said I will be running the speedfit up
an external wall but of course inside the house..

Use brass compression joints and the right pipe inserts. Then clip it well.
Surface mounted plastic pipe is ugly. Speedfit is very rigid too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 10:47:00 +0100 someone who may be "Donwill"
popple @diddle .dot wrote this:-

Except for The Lloyds Building in London, but I suppose if your name is
Richard Rogers you can get away with it. :-)

A colleague of mine was taken round that building. He was shown an
air-conditioned plant room. Apparently plant is terribly sensitive
stuff and needs to be kept in an air-conditioned environment.

No-doubt someone was being paid a percentage of the installed system
cost and not in the least interested in the running cost or
greenhouse gas emissions.

All in all a good example of how not to design a building.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-01 12:19:42 +0100, Arthur 51 said:

On 31 Mar, 20:21, Davao wrote:
[...]

I was thinking that if I run a single length of 15mm speedfit from
near to rising main
to the loft that would suffice for improving the flow.

Arthur
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-01 15:02:19 +0100, Arthur 51 said:
I was thinking that if I run a single length of 15mm speedfit from
near to rising main
to the loft that would suffice for improving the flow.

Arthur

If you have good pressure, yes. Otherwise.....

Since you're having to do the job anyway and there is little cost
difference, I'd go for 22mm, but up to you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David Hansen" wrote in message
On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 10:47:00 +0100 someone who may be "Donwill"
popple @diddle .dot wrote this:-

Except for The Lloyds Building in London, but I suppose if your name is
Richard Rogers you can get away with it. :-)

A colleague of mine was taken round that building. He was shown an
air-conditioned plant room. Apparently plant is terribly sensitive
stuff and needs to be kept in an air-conditioned environment.

No-doubt someone was being paid a percentage of the installed system
cost and not in the least interested in the running cost or
greenhouse gas emissions.

All in all a good example of how not to design a building.

That building a is brilliant practical design it is meant to expand and
contract as demand dictates.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-01 12:19:42 +0100, Arthur 51 said:

On 31 Mar, 20:21, Davao wrote:
[...]

What do you aim to achieve.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Apr, 15:17, "Doctor Drivel" wrote:

On 2008-04-01 12:19:42 +0100, Arthur 51 said:

On 31 Mar, 20:21, Davao wrote:
[...]

To supply a wash basin.
And maybe a thermostatic shower (hot from combi) or electric shower.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arthur 51" wrote in message

What do you aim to achieve.

To supply a wash basin.
And maybe a thermostatic shower
(hot from combi) or electric shower.

Is the pressure/flow at the kitchen tap good? If so 15mm should be fine, as
it will have its own dedicated supply.

Have a "22mm" dedicated supply from the stoptap to the Combi too. Then, when
flushing a toilet the hot is not so much affected. That's is a dedicated
cold supply to the combi (priority as it is in 22mm and a dedicated cold
supply.

Insulating external wall JoeJoe UK diy 8 December 23rd 07 01:00 PM
outlet on external wall car crash Home Repair 6 July 10th 07 07:07 PM
External wall sealing Paul UK diy 18 March 8th 05 06:14 PM
Staining on External Wall BigStrongGal UK diy 1 February 16th 05 07:18 PM