Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default external wall insulation

On Nov 16, 11:43*am, sm_jamieson wrote:
I have a big solid brick gable end wall on the side of my house with no windows, an obvious case for external insulation. The wall is against a shared passageway around 4 feet wide (possible a bit wider), so there could be issues there, since I'd be shrinking the passageway a bit.

I wondered about this in a similar situation. Does anyone own the
passageway? Sometimes peoplehave a right to pass down it but nobody
actually owns it. In that case, I guess you could argue that you have
not obstructed it. Why not download the deeds of nearby houses (fro
mland registry) and see if any of them includes it.

if you already have a sewer vent pipe (for example) on that wall you
might argue that you will not be obstructing it any more than it is
already.

but if someone owns the passageway they might object to you taking a
bit of their land.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, November 16, 2011 2:58:14 PM UTC, RobertL wrote:
[...]

Its between two houses, both which have a gate leading off it to the back gardens. I suspect the whole passageway is shared, i.e. we don't own half each, we each share all of it. In which case, the neighbour would have to agree to lose upto 100mm. I suspect such an agreement would pre-authorise them to do the same in the future. Would have to check the loss of 200mm did not unduly reduce amenity of the passageway.
Neighbour is an old lady who might be wary of agreeing to anything.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 16, 3:07*pm, sm_jamieson wrote:
On Wednesday, November 16, 2011 2:58:14 PM UTC, RobertL wrote:
*but if someone owns the passageway they might object to you taking a
bit of their land.

Its between two houses, both which have a gate leading off it to the
back gardens. I suspect the whole passageway is shared, i.e. we don't
own half each, we each share all of it. In which case, the neighbour
would have to agree to lose upto 100mm. I suspect such an agreement
would pre-authorise them to do the same in the future. Would have to
check the loss of 200mm did not unduly reduce amenity of the passageway.
Neighbour is an old lady who might be wary of agreeing to anything.

I *think* the normal way of doing these things, is that somebody owns /
all/ the passageway, and the other house has right of way over it. If
I am right, and your neighbour owns it, you will obviously need
permission from her. Otherwise, I *strongly* recommend getting her
agreement anyway ("You don't mind if I insulate my house do you?").
Personally, if she doesn't agree, I'd drop it - the aggro isn't worth
it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/11/2011 17:39, Martin Bonner wrote:
On Nov 16, 3:07 pm, wrote:
[...]

There might be issues with the roof. In my case the slates only overhang
by an inch or so on the gable end
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 16, 3:07 pm, wrote:
[...]

Yes, I do have that problem. If I ever re-did the roof I was going to include an overhang. It might be possible to flash the top where the insulation stuck out, but would look strange. So I'd probably have to redo the gable verge and put in a soffit arrangement. At present the edge is just pointed with mortar. I don't think there is even a cloaking strip.
Simon.