Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Double Washing Machine Valve ... ?

Anyone know if a dual washing machine filler hose tap is available. Sort of
'one into two' if you like. Background. My son has just moved into a house
where the previous owner had had a smart new kitchen fitted. She had a built
in dishwasher, but no washing machine. There was a space allocated for one
that currently had a pair of wine racks in it. She said that she never owned
a washing machine, because her mum did all her washing for her. Well, fair
enough these days. Might well have been true. Anyway, she insisted that the
plumbing was there for it, behind the wine racks. Of course, it wasn't ...

We managed to get a way through the backs of the cupboards to the rear of
the dishwasher, where there is a very poorly bodged standpipe for waste, and
a single cold water feed to a tap (Pegler valve, or some such, are they
called ?) Unfortunately, the pipe that this is on the end of, only sticks
through the side of the adjacent cabinet, about an inch, and it's all in a
bit of a tight space, so ideally, rather than having to make up a bit of
splitter plumbing to replace the existing tap, and then fitting two taps to
the ends of that, it would be handy to just take off the existing tap,
leaving the nut and olive on the pipe, and replace it with a dual tap.
Failing that, what do the panel think about making up the splitter and taps
on the bench, and using a compression equal T at the inlet. Is the existing
nut and olive going to fit and seal in the T ? I really don't want to be
having to get the existing olive off the pipe, given the potential to damage
the pipe surface in doing so, coupled to the extremely small amount of pipe
that I have to work with, and the tightness of the location. And the fact I
have flu ... :-(

Oh yes. Just another thought. We did originally try a nylon 'Y' splitter
from B & Q, but it was crap. Nothing in the world would make it seal
reliably at all three ports. I don't suppose anyone has come across a proper
quality metal one as an alternative, have they ?

TIA

Arfa