Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cost of moving a consumer unit

I've received a quote from an electrician to move a consumer unit (a distance of less than a metre). He's quoted £335.00, including a contingency of £100 to extend or re-route one or two cables. Does this seem a reasonable sum? He suggests it will be about a day on-site; I can't see that any materials will be required beyond half a dozen screws and wall plugs, and a metre or so of cable. I'm not a cheapskate or anything by the way!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks to respondents. You summaries of the situation seem fair enough to me. I'll go ahead with the job I think.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
I've received a quote from an electrician to move a consumer unit (a
distance of less than a metre). He's quoted £335.00, including a
contingency of £100 to extend or re-route one or two cables. Does this
seem a reasonable sum? He suggests it will be about a day on-site; I
can't see that any materials will be required beyond half a dozen screws
and wall plugs, and a metre or so of cable. I'm not a cheapskate or
anything by the way!

Depends on many things. At worst, every single cable might need extending.
At best, they'd only need shortening. And any combination in between - has
he actually seen the job? It's much quicker to cut one down than extend it.

--
*Red meat is not bad for you. Fuzzy green meat is bad for you.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
Sounds reasonable to me. Because of overheads (vehicles, insurance,
compulsory training, accountancy services, H & S, etc), we need to turn
over £400 per man per day.

Sounds like a good reason to find a one man business. ;-)

--
*Why is it considered necessary to screw down the lid of a coffin?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, November 27, 2012 10:29:23 AM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Depends on many things. At worst, every single cable might need extending..

At best, they'd only need shortening. And any combination in between - has

he actually seen the job? It's much quicker to cut one down than extend it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
Sounds reasonable to me. Because of overheads (vehicles, insurance,
compulsory training, accountancy services, H & S, etc), we need to turn
over £400 per man per day.

Sounds like a good reason to find a one man business. ;-)

There's an irony here. Although one-man businesses are likely to be more
efficient, what they don't have is a team of cheap workers. If I take on
a job I most likely have to do it myself, because if it's a small job it
isn't worth organising a low paid casual worker.If the job is a simple
menial one this is not cost effective, because I'm obviously looking for
the hourly rate that I would otherwise get on a more demanding job.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes but one made worse by all the expenditure many businesses have to
bear that really could be a lot less with less red tape.

That's one problem - it had to be changed to brown.

--
*One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2012 14:48, Bill Wright wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
Sounds reasonable to me. Because of overheads (vehicles, insurance,
compulsory training, accountancy services, H & S, etc), we need to
turn over £400 per man per day.

Sounds like a good reason to find a one man business. ;-)

There's an irony here. Although one-man businesses are likely to be more
efficient, what they don't have is a team of cheap workers. If I take on
a job I most likely have to do it myself, because if it's a small job it
isn't worth organising a low paid casual worker.If the job is a simple
menial one this is not cost effective, because I'm obviously looking for
the hourly rate that I would otherwise get on a more demanding job.

Bill

As an electrician I guess it must be difficult finding a domestic job
that isn't 75% dogsbody work
Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:
On 27/11/2012 14:48, Bill Wright wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
Sounds reasonable to me. Because of overheads (vehicles, insurance,
compulsory training, accountancy services, H & S, etc), we need to
turn over £400 per man per day.

Sounds like a good reason to find a one man business. ;-)

There's an irony here. Although one-man businesses are likely to be more
efficient, what they don't have is a team of cheap workers. If I take on
a job I most likely have to do it myself, because if it's a small job it
isn't worth organising a low paid casual worker.If the job is a simple
menial one this is not cost effective, because I'm obviously looking for
the hourly rate that I would otherwise get on a more demanding job.

Bill

As an electrician I guess it must be difficult finding a domestic job
that isn't 75% dogsbody work

Yes, well with us a lot of jobs comprise a vast amount of cable laying,
which we try to foist on the electricians, and the actually electronic
gubbins which we do. Obviously I'm not talking about domestic jobs.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Bill Wright wrote:
stuart noble wrote:
On 27/11/2012 14:48, Bill Wright wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
Sounds reasonable to me. Because of overheads (vehicles,
insurance, compulsory training, accountancy services, H & S,
etc), we need to turn over £400 per man per day.

Sounds like a good reason to find a one man business. ;-)

There's an irony here. Although one-man businesses are likely to
be more efficient, what they don't have is a team of cheap
workers. If I take on a job I most likely have to do it myself,
because if it's a small job it isn't worth organising a low paid
casual worker.If the job is a simple menial one this is not cost
effective, because I'm obviously looking for the hourly rate that
I would otherwise get on a more demanding job. Bill

As an electrician I guess it must be difficult finding a domestic
job that isn't 75% dogsbody work

Yes, well with us a lot of jobs comprise a vast amount of cable
laying, which we try to foist on the electricians,

And we still have some1st year apprentices to do that work for you:-)

--
Adam