Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Cost of moving a consumer unit

On 27/11/2012 09:42, Bill Wright wrote:
wrote:
I've received a quote from an electrician to move a consumer unit (a
distance of less than a metre).

He's quoted £335.00, including a contingency of £100 to extend or
re-route one or two cables.

Does this seem a reasonable sum? He suggests it will be about a day
on-site; I can't see that any materials

will be required beyond half a dozen screws and wall plugs, and a metre
or so of cable.

I'm not a cheapskate or anything by the way!

Sounds reasonable to me. Because of overheads (vehicles, insurance,
compulsory training, accountancy services, H & S, etc), we need to turn
over £400 per man per day.

Bill

You need £400 per day, and I'm only prepared to spend £200, so the job
doesn't get done. Soon you'll need £500 because you're only working 4
days a week. This about sums up a recession.