Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default RCD plug, info please

I have just wired some electric to my shed just a plug at one end and a
socket at the other only for very occassional use or the hedge timmer as
it saves me running an extension cable from the house each time, it
would also give me a light if I need anything over winter.
I want to fit an RCD plug (for the supply of electric to the shed) but
what is best bearing in mind it will hardly be used. A hardwired socket
or just a plug in at the house wall socket end (would that do ok)
Any ratings or other spec I should look out for.
I wont use the trimmer when wet so this is just an additional precaution.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, November 25, 2012 9:25:02 PM UTC, ss wrote:
I have just wired some electric to my shed just a plug at one end and a

socket at the other only for very occassional use or the hedge timmer as

it saves me running an extension cable from the house each time, it

would also give me a light if I need anything over winter.

I want to fit an RCD plug (for the supply of electric to the shed) but

what is best bearing in mind it will hardly be used. A hardwired socket

or just a plug in at the house wall socket end (would that do ok)

Any ratings or other spec I should look out for.

I wont use the trimmer when wet so this is just an additional precaution.

I'd definitely get an RCD plug on that lead.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ss
writes
I have just wired some electric to my shed just a plug at one end and a
socket at the other only for very occassional use or the hedge timmer as
it saves me running an extension cable from the house each time, it
would also give me a light if I need anything over winter.
I want to fit an RCD plug (for the supply of electric to the shed) but
what is best bearing in mind it will hardly be used. A hardwired socket
or just a plug in at the house wall socket end (would that do ok)
Any ratings or other spec I should look out for.
I wont use the trimmer when wet so this is just an additional precaution.

I think you are planning to protect the external lead rather than just
protecting it from the shed end which is good.

IME RCD sockets are made to better standards than plug-in RCDs so they
would be my choice (after a proper fixed wiring RCD installation) but
for a per use installation I would have no problem using a plug-in RCD
at the house end. I wouldn't use one for a reliable long term supply
however (expect false trips easily within 30 days) so no use for long
term external feeds such as greenhouse frost protection or a freezer in
a shed.

No problem however if you just want temporary lights or power.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, November 25, 2012 9:29:07 PM UTC, wrote:
On Sunday, November 25, 2012 9:25:02 PM UTC, ss wrote:

I have just wired some electric to my shed just a plug at one end and a
socket at the other only for very occassional use

I want to fit an RCD plug
what is best bearing in mind it will hardly be used.
A hardwired socket
or just a plug in at the house wall socket end

A plug at the house wall socket end would be safer (because
it protects the lead as well as the stuff in the shed). If
you plan to be tripping the RCD repeatedly, then it would
be more convenient to have the RCD in the shed (so you can
reset it easily).

I'd definitely get an RCD plug on that lead.

+1
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Nov, 21:25, ss wrote:
I have just wired some electric to my shed just a plug at one end and a
socket at the other only for very occassional use or the hedge timmer as
it saves me running an extension cable from the house each time, it
would also give me a light if I need anything over winter.
I want to fit an RCD plug (for the supply of electric to the shed) but
what is best bearing in mind it will hardly be used. A hardwired socket
or just a plug in at the house wall socket end (would that do ok)
Any ratings or other spec I should look out for.
I wont use the trimmer when wet so this is just an additional precaution.

Could you give us some more info?

How are you currently planning to introduce the Plug to the electrics
at the house end?
Do you intend to leave it permenantly plugged in?
Is the circuit to which you will be attachning it already protected by
a 30mA RCD in the consummer unit?
(If so adding another will not necessarily stop the "house" one
tripping as well/instead, but may offer better protection for the
lead)

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

fred wrote:
In article , ss
writes
[...]

Noting your points about RCD plugs and sockets then I would prefer to see
the lead hard wired into a RCD fused spur in the house.

If you use an RCD socket and the RCD trips there is a chance that the user
could then plug the lead into a non RCD socket.

I suggest that the OP needs a 30mA active RCD - the active RCD need
resetting after a powercut but as there is no mention of a fridge freezer in
the shed then that would not be a problem.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 26/11/2012 16:36, Chris Holmes wrote:
How are you currently planning to introduce the Plug to the electrics
at the house end?

By plugging into a wall socket

Do you intend to leave it permenantly plugged in?

Only when required

Is the circuit to which you will be attachning it already protected by
a 30mA RCD in the consummer unit?

Yes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/2012 18:04, ss wrote:
On 26/11/2012 16:36, Chris Holmes wrote:
How are you currently planning to introduce the Plug to the electrics
at the house end?

By plugging into a wall socket

Do you intend to leave it permenantly plugged in?

Only when required

Is the circuit to which you will be attachning it already protected by
a 30mA RCD in the consummer unit?

Yes

In which case, there is no value in adding another one at the plug[1],
since in the event of a low leakage current emanating from the shed
feed, the house CU one will tend to trip first (it will see the same
leakage as the one in the plug, plus any additional leakage from the
house circuits and appliances). In the case of an earth fault at the
shed, then both RCDs will see a trip current over their threshold, and
it a straight race as to which trips first, with no way of predicting
which combination of devices will trip.

[1] Assuming the house one trips at 30mA

--
Cheers,

John.