Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sawdust

I am hopefully going to be after sawdust shortly.

Any places likely to give it away?
(Have yellow pages and thomson directory at the ready...)

Is there an established market for it already or will there be
plentiful amounts to scrounge?
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/11/2012 10:58, mogga wrote:
I am hopefully going to be after sawdust shortly.

Any places likely to give it away?
(Have yellow pages and thomson directory at the ready...)

Is there an established market for it already or will there be
plentiful amounts to scrounge?

What do you want it for? Many years ago in harder times I used to get
sawdust for my wife's guinea pigs from a local workshop where they made
bespoke window frames mainly from softwood but some hardwood.

I stopped because we were getting high levels of miscarriage and birth
defects. I never established whether they were using treated timber, I
just stopped using it.

They were happy for people to take it away, though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 11:30:52 +0000, newshound
wrote:

On 20/11/2012 10:58, mogga wrote:
I am hopefully going to be after sawdust shortly.

Any places likely to give it away?
(Have yellow pages and thomson directory at the ready...)

Is there an established market for it already or will there be
plentiful amounts to scrounge?

What do you want it for? Many years ago in harder times I used to get

Composting loo.

sawdust for my wife's guinea pigs from a local workshop where they made
bespoke window frames mainly from softwood but some hardwood.

I stopped because we were getting high levels of miscarriage and birth
defects. I never established whether they were using treated timber, I
just stopped using it.

Did changing sawdust change that?

They were happy for people to take it away, though.

thanks
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mogga" wrote in message
I am hopefully going to be after sawdust shortly.

Any places likely to give it away?
(Have yellow pages and thomson directory at the ready...)

Is there an established market for it already or will there be
plentiful amounts to scrounge?

I think bulk sawdust is used for making artificial logs for stoves and
fires.
So big firms may well sell theirs on.
However small woodworking places should still be O.K.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message om,
newshound writes
On 20/11/2012 10:58, mogga wrote:
I am hopefully going to be after sawdust shortly.

Any places likely to give it away?
(Have yellow pages and thomson directory at the ready...)

Is there an established market for it already or will there be
plentiful amounts to scrounge?

What do you want it for? Many years ago in harder times I used to get
sawdust for my wife's guinea pigs from a local workshop where they made
bespoke window frames mainly from softwood but some hardwood.

I stopped because we were getting high levels of miscarriage and birth
defects. I never established whether they were using treated timber, I
just stopped using it.

They were happy for people to take it away, though.

You can come and clear up the sawdust under my firewood saw. About 15
years worth. Can't guarantee no treated timber but most of it is Oak.

My workshop dust extractor bags are nearly full but part of that will be
planer shavings.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 12:08:32 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

They were happy for people to take it away, though.

You can come and clear up the sawdust under my firewood saw. About 15
years worth. Can't guarantee no treated timber but most of it is Oak.

My workshop dust extractor bags are nearly full but part of that will be
planer shavings.

Wow! Don't spose you're just down the road from me though ...
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
eb.com...
On 20/11/2012 10:58, mogga wrote:
I am hopefully going to be after sawdust shortly.

Any places likely to give it away?
(Have yellow pages and thomson directory at the ready...)

Is there an established market for it already or will there be
plentiful amounts to scrounge?

What do you want it for? Many years ago in harder times I used to get
sawdust for my wife's guinea pigs from a local workshop where they made
bespoke window frames mainly from softwood but some hardwood.

I stopped because we were getting high levels of miscarriage and birth
defects. I never established whether they were using treated timber, I
just stopped using it.

IME it's not good for any animal cages due to the high amount of dust that
they're inhaling 24 hours a day.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , mogga
writes
wrote:

They were happy for people to take it away, though.

You can come and clear up the sawdust under my firewood saw. About 15
years worth. Can't guarantee no treated timber but most of it is Oak.

My workshop dust extractor bags are nearly full but part of that will be
planer shavings.

Wow! Don't spose you're just down the road from me though ...

Not unless you are anywhere near Hertfordshi-)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 14:58:28 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

In message , mogga
writes
wrote:

They were happy for people to take it away, though.

You can come and clear up the sawdust under my firewood saw. About 15
years worth. Can't guarantee no treated timber but most of it is Oak.

My workshop dust extractor bags are nearly full but part of that will be
planer shavings.

Wow! Don't spose you're just down the road from me though ...

Not unless you are anywhere near Hertfordshi-)

Sadly not!
Thanks for the offer though
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/11/2012 12:45, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

IME it's not good for any animal cages due to the high amount of dust
that they're inhaling 24 hours a day.

Good point although to be fair quite a high proportion was planer
shavings and they didn't do much sanding.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 16:09:12 +0000, newshound
wrote:

Composting loo.

sawdust for my wife's guinea pigs from a local workshop where they made
bespoke window frames mainly from softwood but some hardwood.

I stopped because we were getting high levels of miscarriage and birth
defects. I never established whether they were using treated timber, I
just stopped using it.

Did changing sawdust change that?

Yes

Good!
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Brian Gaff
wrote:
Used to be all over the floor at our butchers shop but I understand its
now both a fire risk and a health hazard....

probably isn't a fire hazard once it's soaked up a bit of blood.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/11/2012 17:17, Brian Gaff wrote:
Used to be all over the floor at our butchers shop but I understand its now
both a fire risk and a health hazard....

It used to be over the floor of a pub I knew.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message om,
newshound writes
On 20/11/2012 12:45, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

IME it's not good for any animal cages due to the high amount of dust
that they're inhaling 24 hours a day.

Good point although to be fair quite a high proportion was planer
shavings and they didn't do much sanding.

One of our livery horses is bedded with what appears to be chopped/dust
extracted straw.

Mogga discreetly has not ventured the application....

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/11/2012 19:32, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message om,
newshound writes
On 20/11/2012 12:45, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

IME it's not good for any animal cages due to the high amount of dust
that they're inhaling 24 hours a day.

Good point although to be fair quite a high proportion was planer
shavings and they didn't do much sanding.

One of our livery horses is bedded with what appears to be chopped/dust
extracted straw.

Mogga discreetly has not ventured the application....

It was on Ch5's Eddie Stobart programme once - a truck full of sawdust
for animal bedding.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 19:32:49 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

In message om,
newshound writes
On 20/11/2012 12:45, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

IME it's not good for any animal cages due to the high amount of dust
that they're inhaling 24 hours a day.

Good point although to be fair quite a high proportion was planer
shavings and they didn't do much sanding.

One of our livery horses is bedded with what appears to be chopped/dust
extracted straw.

Mogga discreetly has not ventured the application....

I did.
Composting loo!
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , mogga
writes
wrote:
One of our livery horses is bedded with what appears to be chopped/dust
extracted straw.

Mogga discreetly has not ventured the application....

I did.
Composting loo!

Ah! Another brain cell missing:-)

Presumably there is a wide spectrum of decay bacteria doing the work.
Someone somewhere must know how vulnerable they might be to the rather
feeble chemicals in modern treated timber.

Something wrong with earth closets?

Tree surgeons have disposal issues with chipped material and I have
occasionally arranged for a free load to be used here as path mulch.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 08:51:43 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

In message , mogga
writes
wrote:
One of our livery horses is bedded with what appears to be chopped/dust
extracted straw.

Mogga discreetly has not ventured the application....

I did.
Composting loo!

Ah! Another brain cell missing:-)

Presumably there is a wide spectrum of decay bacteria doing the work.
Someone somewhere must know how vulnerable they might be to the rather
feeble chemicals in modern treated timber.

My contact recommends contacting tree surgeons - or someone with a log
burner who cuts their own wood! I've just got to find the yellow pages
now. The BT book is useless!

Something wrong with earth closets?

Where do we get the spare earth from?

Tree surgeons have disposal issues with chipped material and I have
occasionally arranged for a free load to be used here as path mulch.

We've had a couple of loads free but want some finer stuff for the
bucket stuff.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Oak Sawdust lektric dan Woodworking 13 November 22nd 10 06:37 PM
What to do with sawdust? JTM UK diy 34 October 4th 10 11:46 PM
Sawdust Puckdropper[_2_] Woodworking 26 September 17th 09 04:37 PM
Another Way to Use Sawdust J T Woodworking 1 November 9th 05 09:36 PM
How To Get Rid Of Your Sawdust J T Woodworking 38 November 22nd 04 02:34 PM