Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default HDD Failure

OK ... annoying, I just built a new PC and paid extra to get Western Digital Caviar Balck HDD as they are supposed to be more relibale than 'Blue or Green' variants.

The OS is on an SSD, HDD is used for programs & user data.

HDD now does not get detected .... looked in diskmgmt.msc and it does not show.
Tried using an external Sata to USB adapater .... drive spins up ... but not detected.

Only a few weeks old so under warranty .... but wonder if anybody has anything worth trying to recover the user data ... my docs/ pics / emails.

I have backup from previous PC .. but 2 months of data will be missing.

I did raise a tkt with WD, but they said as it is not detected - return it for replacment, no assistance with data recovery.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/11/2012 20:12, Osprey wrote:
drive spins up ... but not detected.

Why not try a Linux live cd? like Knoppix
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 12:12:42 -0800, Osprey wrote:

OK ... annoying, I just built a new PC and paid extra to get Western
Digital Caviar Balck HDD as they are supposed to be more relibale than
'Blue or Green' variants.

The OS is on an SSD, HDD is used for programs & user data.

HDD now does not get detected .... looked in diskmgmt.msc and it does
not show.
Tried using an external Sata to USB adapater .... drive spins up ... but
not detected.

Only a few weeks old so under warranty .... but wonder if anybody has
anything worth trying to recover the user data ... my docs/ pics /
emails.

I have backup from previous PC .. but 2 months of data will be missing.

I did raise a tkt with WD, but they said as it is not detected - return
it for replacment, no assistance with data recovery.

If it's an electronics failure - buy another one and swap the board.
Desperate measure, I know.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 15, 9:49*pm, Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 12:12:42 -0800, Osprey wrote:
OK ... annoying, I just built a new PC and paid extra to get Western
Digital Caviar Balck HDD as they are supposed to be more relibale than
'Blue or Green' variants.

The OS is on an SSD, HDD is used for programs & user data.

HDD now does not get detected .... looked in diskmgmt.msc * and it does
not show.
Tried using an external Sata to USB adapater .... drive spins up ... but
not detected.

Only a few weeks old so under warranty .... but wonder if anybody has
anything worth trying to recover the user data ... *my docs/ pics /
emails.

I have backup from previous PC .. but 2 months of data will be missing.

I did raise a tkt with WD, but they said as it is not detected - return
it for replacement, no assistance with data recovery.

If it's an electronics failure - buy another one and swap the board.
Desperate measure, I know.

You think the board is shorted and causing the defect?
That happened to me. Nasty if you don't realise what is happening.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/11/2012 20:51, Enrie Membership wrote:
On 15/11/2012 20:12, Osprey wrote:
drive spins up ... but not detected.

Why not try a Linux live cd? like Knoppix

+1. Or a disk recovery company if the data is worth enough?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 12:12:42 -0800, Osprey wrote:
HDD now does not get detected .... looked in diskmgmt.msc and it does
not show. Tried using an external Sata to USB adapater .... drive spins
up ... but not detected.

Different SATA cable or the same one? (there's a possibility of a bad
cable, but two would seem rather unlikely)

Check for a damaged drive connector, too - there might not be anything
you can do about it personally, but if there's obvious damage at least
you know that someone should be able to sort it out for you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 12:12:42 -0800 (PST), Osprey
wrote:

OK ... annoying, I just built a new PC and paid extra to get Western Digital Caviar Balck HDD as they are supposed to be more relibale than 'Blue or Green' variants.

The OS is on an SSD, HDD is used for programs & user data.

HDD now does not get detected .... looked in diskmgmt.msc and it does not show.
Tried using an external Sata to USB adapater .... drive spins up ... but not detected.

Only a few weeks old so under warranty .... but wonder if anybody has anything worth trying to recover the user data ... my docs/ pics / emails.

I have backup from previous PC .. but 2 months of data will be missing.

I did raise a tkt with WD, but they said as it is not detected - return it for replacment, no assistance with data recovery.

Try HDD in another PC in case motherboard is buggered.

Try another data and power cable

Try freezing the HDD for a few hours in a sealed plastic bag with the leads
poking out.

Buy another 'identical' hard drive, swap the drive circuit boards. Boot a live
linux CD and see if the drive can be seen.

If it still can't be seen then accept that if you don't pay huge wodges of money
to a professional data recovery company you won't be able to get the data back.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Weatherlawyer writes
[...]

I had a zero ohm link that lost the magic smoke - replaced it with
another one, the HDD is still runing fine 6 months later, not really
worth buggering about getting it replaced

And, yes - always buying hard drives in pairs has saved my data twice in
recent times

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/11/12 20:12, Osprey wrote:
OK ... annoying, I just built a new PC and paid extra to get Western Digital Caviar Balck HDD as they are supposed to be more relibale than 'Blue or Green' variants.

The OS is on an SSD, HDD is used for programs & user data.

HDD now does not get detected .... looked in diskmgmt.msc and it does not show.
Tried using an external Sata to USB adapater .... drive spins up ... but not detected.

Only a few weeks old so under warranty .... but wonder if anybody has anything worth trying to recover the user data ... my docs/ pics / emails.

I have backup from previous PC .. but 2 months of data will be missing.

I did raise a tkt with WD, but they said as it is not detected - return it for replacment, no assistance with data recovery.

Only time this worked for me was when we replaced the electronics and
got the data back - or most of it - when the electronics was duff.
But that was in a company with a LOT of similar disks.

What can I say? the FIRST thing I do with a new disk is back it up..

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Osprey" wrote in message
OK ... annoying, I just built a new PC and paid extra to get Western
Digital Caviar Balck HDD as they are supposed to be more relibale than
'Blue or Green' variants.

The OS is on an SSD, HDD is used for programs & user data.

HDD now does not get detected .... looked in diskmgmt.msc and it does
not show.
Tried using an external Sata to USB adapater .... drive spins up ... but
not detected.

Only a few weeks old so under warranty .... but wonder if anybody has
anything worth trying to recover the user data ... my docs/ pics /
emails.

I have backup from previous PC .. but 2 months of data will be missing.

I did raise a tkt with WD, but they said as it is not detected - return it
for replacment, no assistance with data recovery.

A mate of mine had a drive which wasn't detected (PATA though). I suggested
he power down and off, unplug the ribbon, re-boot, power down and off,
connect the ribbon, re-boot. Worked for him.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 23:06:37 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
What can I say? the FIRST thing I do with a new disk is back it up..

In case you need all that empty space back?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/11/12 20:12, Osprey wrote:

Only time this worked for me was when we replaced the electronics and
got the data back - or most of it - when the electronics was duff.
But that was in a company with a LOT of similar disks.

What can I say? the FIRST thing I do with a new disk is back it up..

It would be more useful to set up a backup strategy.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/11/12 20:12, Osprey wrote:

Only time this worked for me was when we replaced the electronics and
got the data back - or most of it - when the electronics was duff.
But that was in a company with a LOT of similar disks.

What can I say? the FIRST thing I do with a new disk is back it up..

It would be more useful to set up a backup strategy.

Er that's how you back it up.

Having a strategy is totally useless if you dont actually implement it,.

Chris

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Eager
writes
[...]

Surely you will change the onboard bad sector mapping?
--
Phil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Isn't the bad sector mapping on the disk itself? I know it used to be.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rednadnerb wrote:

Isn't the bad sector mapping on the disk itself? I know it used to be.

Now it is. But way-back-when drives used to come with a printed defect
list you were expected to enter into your O/S, or you could leave the
O/S running a "comprehensive surface analysis" for a few days before
before making use of the drive.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 15/11/2012 20:12, Osprey wrote:
OK ... annoying, I just built a new PC and paid extra to get Western Digital Caviar Balck HDD as they are supposed to be more relibale than 'Blue or Green' variants.

The OS is on an SSD, HDD is used for programs & user data.

HDD now does not get detected .... looked in diskmgmt.msc and it does not show.
Tried using an external Sata to USB adapater .... drive spins up ... but not detected.

Is it detected in the bios? If it is try a Linux CD as others have
suggested.

As an aside, just had an issue with Windows 8 being stupid and suddenly
deciding that it couldn't detect one of my perfectly good drives, which
could be seen in the bios and by Linux. Long story but turns out that
Windows 8 suddenly wasn't happy with the partition table flags, but it
had been for several days prior to that point...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns spake thus:

Rednadnerb wrote:

Isn't the bad sector mapping on the disk itself? I know it used to be.

Now it is. But way-back-when drives used to come with a printed defect
list you were expected to enter into your O/S,

Not quite correct. You entered the defect list when running a low-level
format, typically by executing code on the drive controller. The relevant
sectors were then marked as unusable on the drive, and would survive high-
level formats.

or you could leave the
O/S running a "comprehensive surface analysis" for a few days before
before making use of the drive.

Some OSes insisted on this.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/11/2012 09:25, Andy Burns wrote:
Rednadnerb wrote:

Isn't the bad sector mapping on the disk itself? I know it used to be.

Now it is. But way-back-when drives used to come with a printed defect
list you were expected to enter into your O/S,

BTDT, the list could be ten enteries or like one I had with about two
hundred enteries. I sent it back as I wasn't going to spend days on it.

You enered the list into the format program, AFAIK the OS read it from
the disk on subsequent boots.

At some point they started storing the bad bits list on the drive and
the formatter could read it for you (if you were lucky).

or you could leave the
O/S running a "comprehensive surface analysis" for a few days before
before making use of the drive.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/11/12 09:19, Rednadnerb wrote:
Isn't the bad sector mapping on the disk itself? I know it used to be.

Yes, and no.

A lot of it is, which means that by the time its noticed by the OS the
drive is terminally shagged.

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/11/2012 09:25, Andy Burns wrote:

Now it is. But way-back-when drives used to come with a printed defect
list you were expected to enter into your O/S, or you could leave the
O/S running a "comprehensive surface analysis" for a few days before
before making use of the drive.

I used to write that software. The flaws are often pattern sensitive,
and very hard to spot reliably.

I also wrote the stuff that copied the manufacturers flaw list

I'm glad those days have gone.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes, and no.

A lot of it is, which means that by the time its noticed by the OS the
drive is terminally shagged.

You do of course monitor your SMART data?

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/11/12 21:53, Andy Champ wrote:
Yes, and no.

A lot of it is, which means that by the time its noticed by the OS the
drive is terminally shagged.

You do of course monitor your SMART data?

Andy

Yup.

That means I notice before the OS does..

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Lee
writes

Long story but turns out that
Windows 8 suddenly wasn't happy with the partition table flags, but it
had been for several days prior to that point...

Someone posted on uk.comp.homebuilt recently about massive corruption of
an NTFS volume which was used by both Win8 and Linux. I suggested that
M$ might have made some subtle change to NTFS in Win8 which broke the
Linux NTFS code, but the thread was inconclusive.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 22:25:45 +0000, geoff wrote:

And, yes - always buying hard drives in pairs has saved my data twice in
recent time

But not *identical* pairs ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jethro_uk
writes
On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 22:25:45 +0000, geoff wrote:

And, yes - always buying hard drives in pairs has saved my data twice in
recent time

But not *identical* pairs ?

Course not - different serial numbers

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/11/2012 22:30, geoff wrote:
In message , Jethro_uk
writes
On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 22:25:45 +0000, geoff wrote:

And, yes - always buying hard drives in pairs has saved my data twice in
recent time

But not *identical* pairs ?

Course not - different serial numbers

And not identically failed?

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , polygonum
writes
On 22/11/2012 22:30, geoff wrote:
In message , Jethro_uk
writes
On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 22:25:45 +0000, geoff wrote:

And, yes - always buying hard drives in pairs has saved my data twice in
recent time

But not *identical* pairs ?

Course not - different serial numbers

And not identically failed?

You're getting there, grasshopper

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
news
In message , polygonum
writes
On 22/11/2012 22:30, geoff wrote:
In message , Jethro_uk
writes
On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 22:25:45 +0000, geoff wrote:

And, yes - always buying hard drives in pairs has saved my data twice
in
recent time

But not *identical* pairs ?

Course not - different serial numbers

And not identically failed?

You're getting there, grasshopper

Fantastic Maxie. It is nice to see you impart your wisdom to the ignorant.
How is the Paddy band going?

more on that MOT 'failure' The Natural Philosopher[_2_] UK diy 2 December 23rd 11 07:54 PM
GM Failure oldjag Metalworking 103 December 11th 08 08:41 PM
Hep 2 O failure The Medway Handyman UK diy 10 February 3rd 08 05:17 PM
mcb failure nospam[_2_] UK diy 4 October 1st 07 10:29 PM
HDD failure Gareth Magennis Electronics Repair 13 September 1st 05 02:06 AM