Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

Default HDD Failure

On 15/11/2012 20:12, Osprey wrote:
OK ... annoying, I just built a new PC and paid extra to get Western Digital Caviar Balck HDD as they are supposed to be more relibale than 'Blue or Green' variants.

The OS is on an SSD, HDD is used for programs & user data.

HDD now does not get detected .... looked in diskmgmt.msc and it does not show.
Tried using an external Sata to USB adapater .... drive spins up ... but not detected.

Is it detected in the bios? If it is try a Linux CD as others have
suggested.

As an aside, just had an issue with Windows 8 being stupid and suddenly
deciding that it couldn't detect one of my perfectly good drives, which
could be seen in the bios and by Linux. Long story but turns out that
Windows 8 suddenly wasn't happy with the partition table flags, but it
had been for several days prior to that point...