Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Other Mike[_3_] The Other Mike[_3_] is offline

Default HDD Failure

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 12:12:42 -0800 (PST), Osprey
wrote:

OK ... annoying, I just built a new PC and paid extra to get Western Digital Caviar Balck HDD as they are supposed to be more relibale than 'Blue or Green' variants.

The OS is on an SSD, HDD is used for programs & user data.

HDD now does not get detected .... looked in diskmgmt.msc and it does not show.
Tried using an external Sata to USB adapater .... drive spins up ... but not detected.

Only a few weeks old so under warranty .... but wonder if anybody has anything worth trying to recover the user data ... my docs/ pics / emails.

I have backup from previous PC .. but 2 months of data will be missing.

I did raise a tkt with WD, but they said as it is not detected - return it for replacment, no assistance with data recovery.

Try HDD in another PC in case motherboard is buggered.

Try another data and power cable

Try freezing the HDD for a few hours in a sealed plastic bag with the leads
poking out.

Buy another 'identical' hard drive, swap the drive circuit boards. Boot a live
linux CD and see if the drive can be seen.

If it still can't be seen then accept that if you don't pay huge wodges of money
to a professional data recovery company you won't be able to get the data back.